Yeti Owners Club banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
16 inch wheels have a little bit more air and rubber between them and the road, which makes quite a difference. I use two sets of wheels summer/winter. My winter wheels are Audi alloys and cost me £80 for the set on eBay, collect only demands much lower prices. Then there was the cost of winter tyres, It might be worth your while trying to drive a Yeti on 16 inch wheels, it would probably be a better idea to try driving another Yeti on 17 inch wheels to see how different it is to yours.
That’s great advice - many thanks. You obviously know a great deal about cars in general which is quite an advantage! Now I just need to find a Yeti on 17” tyres for sale locally so I can test Drive it and compare the rides.

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
There might be a forum member who lives in the same area. If you just indicated which town you live in there may be one close. Don't give any more detail than just the name of the town as this is an open forum and anyone can read what is posted.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
That’s great advice - many thanks. You obviously know a great deal about cars in general which is quite an advantage! Now I just need to find a Yeti on 17” tyres for sale locally so I can test Drive it and compare the rides.
The dealer you bought yours from might be able to let you do that?

How much are we talking about? Not knowing a thing about tyres, does that mean I’d have to buy new alloys as well?
Yes - to fit 16" tyres you need 16" wheels. The "16" in the tyre size nomenclature is the inside diameter of the tyre, bead to bead. Which matches the diameter of the wheel they need to fit.

To give an idea, I paid £250 in summer 2019, for a set of four pristine 16" alloy wheels for our Yeti, with near new (7mm tread each) winter tyres. From a former YOC member near me, who had just sold his Yeti and bought a Suzuki.

"one or two owners described the ride as ‘firm’ but no one mentioned a ‘rough ride’ with roll. Took it out again today and my bones were rattled to bits! "
"Firm" would be correct.

I'm still a bit perplexed exactly what may be going on here, as excess body roll would normally be associated with a very soft ride? Like a 2CV.

A bone shaking ride could be associated with seized dampers, that had gone "solid". Rather than dampers that had "gone off" and stopped damping, but still had movement. So the spring movement was uncontrolled. As imagined earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I use 16 inch winter tyres/wheels which I am looking forward to using and the increased cushioning, but when they are fitted there is no body roll as described in this thread.
Mine has 17" wheels and i have no problems.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i have taken my yeti off the blacktop a few times for usually daft reasons and have always found the suspension very well controlled. the behaviour you describe sounds like a Subaru I helped a friend collect from a farmers field, where it had been sat for 18 months. the rubber bushes in the suspension joints had basically rotted due to lack of use. this resulted in suspension that didn't feel connected to the car, allowing excessive and badly controlled movement, not normal for a Subaru Forester and definitely not for a Yeti.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There might be a forum member who lives in the same area. If you just indicated which town you live in there may be one close. Don't give any more detail than just the name of the town as this is an open forum and anyone can read what is posted.
Thanks for the heads up.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts