Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We've had our Yeti for just over two years now and we're both still absolutely delighted with it, and personally I wish I'd considered switching to an automatic years ago!

This leads me to my question though; we live near the Lake District and one of my favourite journeys - although one we haven't actually done in a good few years - takes in Wrynose and Hard Knott Passes... would it be a poor idea to do this journey in our car?

The car runs very well and always does everything that we ask of it, but I have a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that the above journey would be doing the clutch(es) no favours...

Any and all replies would be welcomed!

Paul

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi Paul,

Can’t answer your problem as I don’t have a DSG but......nice bike! From an ex GPZ1000RX rider. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
would it be a poor idea to do this journey in our car?
Certainly not! The car is well capable of doing that trip. If you want to stop it changing up and down the box as you slow for a bend and then accelerate again, just put it in manual and use 2nd or 3rd, which ever feels more appropriate.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with Bryetian. I have taken my DSG up some of the steepest hills in the wilds of Devon and Wales and found it more than capable. For 90% of the time it knows exactly which gear to be in, and for the other 10% I put it in manual. Relax and enjoy your journey, Paul.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Just like Bryetian said! Absolutely no reason to hesitate. Although for Hard Knott up towards the Roman fort, you may find those very tight hairpins more appropriate in manual mode 1st and 2nd, rather than 2nd - 3rd. :) (y) Those are the gears I’d be selecting there in a proper manual.

It’s not so much the angle of the road I’m thinking of here, although that is closer to the Eiger than it is to Kings Lynn. More the acute angle and narrowness of several of the hairpins. Plus the possibility of meeting someone coming the other way.

The beauty of a DSG over a traditional torque converter auto, is that you can use it in manual mode for the situations like those, where the driver has a better anticipation what is coming next than the gearbox computer could possibly guess, from the inputs and programming it has. And so is able to prevent it endlessly “hunting” up and down the box as the road “surprises” the mechatronic software with its next challenge.

Reactions: Paul 128 and Ruari

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hi Paul, Can’t answer your problem as I don’t have a DSG but......nice bike! From an ex GPZ1000RX rider. :)
Sorry Trilux to be a real bore, but what is the point of responding to a posting if you can't specifically answer the question?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry Trilux to be a real bore, but what is the point of responding to a posting if you can't specifically answer the question?
Point taken. It does happen on here all of the time. But, come on Ruari, you must realise that you are probably the worst offender.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Point taken. It does happen on here all of the time. But, come on Ruari, you must realise that you are probably the worst offender.
Not sure I agree with that.
If a new member posts something I can't answer, then I believe I say something like "Hi ABC, welcome to this very excellent forum, and whilst I don't know the answer to your problem, someone who does will be along shortly".
At least I provide the "welcome" as many others, some long standing members, don't even bother!!

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I cannot help with that but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Hi Paul. I have now had two Skodas with DSG and trust them both to be in the correct gear at all times. Our Roomster had the 1.2 Tsi engine with a manual gearbox and on some of the hills in N Yorkshire, particularly a 1 in 6 with a very sharp bend, we had to almost come to a halt when changing into 2nd or 1st gear, particularly when we were following an HGV. I wish now that we'd had a DSG. The DSG does all the hard work and I only use manual if I'm in slow traffic as it changes into 2nd gear too soon in my opinion, although I'm sure the DSG knows what it's doing! I've never experienced any 'hunting' and would never buy another car without the DSG. Incidentally, my great uncle once told me that on very steep hills he had to drive up in reverse! (This is from the days when all cars were black!)

Reactions: Paul 128 and Ruari

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Incidentally, my great uncle once told me that on very steep hills he had to drive up in reverse! (This is from the days when all cars were black!)
That would be back when cars had just 4 or in a few cases even just 3 forward gears. Reverse was often the lowest ratio in the box. So the best bet with a very low power to weight ratio and even less torque.

Incidentally, my earlier reference to "hunting" was only when thinking how a DSG might react when ascending Hard Knott. Thinking it was in the clear on the short, more level sections, then encountering another steep grade and "impossible" hairpin less than 50m later. Not its reactions in general use. We're on the same page on that front. :)

Reactions: Paul 128

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thank you all for your kind words and extremely helpful advice! :)

I will certainly take on board the suggestion about possibly using manual mode in the very low gears for the really awkward sections, but long before attempting "the passes" I'll give this a try on the flat, as it's something I've never actually used before - the car is so good I just select "D" (and occasionally "R") and let it get on with everything.

I worked as a supermarket delivery driver from 2014 to 2017 which was my first real experience of auto gearboxes, and it was this that made me decide to go the DSG route for our next car. The Home Shopping thing was mainly in Mercedes Sprinters but with occasional journeys in an Iveco - I remember asking a colleague who owned an Octavia auto if he thought the Skoda transmission was more like the Mercedes or the Iveco; his reply that it was smoother than the Merc was what finally convinced me, as I really couldn't enjoy the auto box in the one or two Ivecos I got to drive.

I do remember one (Iveco) trip North up the A595 to Ravenglass on a windy day, and the van seemed to be changing up and down through the gears every two seconds, and they weren't the smoothest of gear changes... :oops:

Once again thank you all, and once we've done it I'll let you know how it goes! (y)

Reactions: Robjon

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Just putting into sport mode should solve most of the issues as the car will hold lower gears longer and change down sooner.

We have a very steep road on the way to coast at Sutton Bank, with a tight bend at the bottom so you can't gaet a run at it, and I would go into manual for that and sometinmes have to crawl up in first gear if stuck behind a lorry.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Just putting into sport mode should solve most of the issues as the car will hold lower gears longer and change down sooner.
We have a very steep road on the way to coast at Sutton Bank, with a tight bend at the bottom so you can't gaet a run at it, and I would go into manual for that and sometinmes have to crawl up in first gear if stuck behind a lorry.
I know it well! We approach from the other direction but I've been down it a few times just for the pleasure of coming up the 1 in 4 gradient and the DSG is faultless. So Paul I'm sure that your Yeti will cope faultlessly with the passes and you'll be wearing the Yeti owner's grin long before the top! At the approach to Sutton Bank I seem to remember a sign stating how many vehicles broke down in the previous year. The only one I saw was a bus. There are many steep hills in N Yorkshire, so I'm not certain why this particular hill affects vehicles. From the top of the bank, on a clear day, you can see Emley Moor transmitter, which is about 70 miles away. Continuing my tangential journey, if anyone is in the area, go to Kilburn to visit Robert Thompson's workshop and showroom. He was a master furniture maker and his work is superb, each with a carved mouse as his 'signature'. The oak furniture is still worked with an adze and you can see the marks left on the table tops.Tables cost around £10000, but they will still be here 100's of years in the future. The nearby pub contains a lot of his furniture, as do many churches and there is a large selection at Ampleforth College.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
Is that the one at Sutton under Whitecliffe, on the way to Sutton Bank. We ate in that pub a few times, but when we passed a few weeks ago it was closed up

·
Registered
303 Posts
My old Morris 8 had three speeds, I reversed it up some bad hills, the cooling is by thermosyphon and fan going up backwards you got problems, no draught going through the radiator.

This need not concern the OP.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Jimmy is talking about the pub in Kilburn (I think?) - which is t'other side of the gliding club site, near the foot of the White Horse, literally.

The pub in Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe (The "Whitestonecliffe Inn") is indeed currently undergoing renovation. (Some folks speculate it may not re-open as a pub, but will be converted to residential. If it can't re-open to do the maximum trade needed for a rural pub to be viable. As has the Hambleton Arms already, that used to be about 3/4 mile East of the visitor centre from the top of Sutton Bank.

The many other equally steep hills in N Yorkshire, don't get blocked so often because:
a) They tend to be shorter, rather than a such a long drag. E.G. The hill up from Sandsend to Lythe. Only a short stretch that is equally steep to the top 2/3 of SB.
b) Don't get steeper as they go higher. Sutton Bank is very deceptive in that respect. Many who get caught by the false sense of "this is OK" up the stretch prior to the hairpin. Unlike the A169 south out of Sleights - that is much more you get what you can see before you head up it.
c) They tend not to be on such main roads. So attract less traffic. Certainly fewer HGVs or small cars towing large caravans. Such as Sneck Yate Bank, (pronounced "Snek Yat") just a couple of miles north of Sutton Bank, but on a much more minor road that only attracts cars that don't tow trailers - because nothing larger would fit between the banks. Or the road directly out of Pateley Bridge, heading East. Similarly narrow.
d) Tend not to have (with one or two exceptions) such a sharp hairpin bend half-way up. Apart from some of those in the Dales, etc. And some of those in Jimmy Country just inland from Whitby. Those are generally on much more minor roads though. See point (c).

For those who have never driven the road over the Hard Knott pass in the Lakes / Soak District ( :) ) and may be confusing it with the much more famous Kirkstone Pass? The latter is much wider, with far fewer acute hairpin bends. Two cars can pass each other over Kirkstone. (Sutton Bank has just the one of those bends 1/3 of the way up in terms of elevation. Half way up in distance.) Hard Knott is only one car wide with passing places (most of those being along the adjoining Wrynose Bottom). Several of the hairpins are sufficiently tight, I've seen cars have to stop on some of the hairpins, back up and have another go at getting round. Because they didn't have (or apply) enough steering lock to get round "in one go". In the wet of course, which is "normal", and down hill late at night / early hours. It's possible to make judicious use of a decent (hydraulic) hand brake to bring the back end round and make the hairpins more negotiable at speeds and gears higher than 1st.

(Not that I've ever been passenger in any car that has been driven that way down Hard Knott of course. ;):D . Nor condone such tactics. :censored::eek::love:(y). Well, not in the last 30-years anyway, or since mid-1980s..... ;) Since I stopped competing in Road Rallies and went into the forests, or closed tarmac roads in IoM, Ireland and Europe. Or more accurately Road Rallies stopped being tests of speed and lost their adrenaline junkie attraction. Aw Gawd - I've just made myself feel OLD, writing that. :()

Reactions: bryetian

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
... no draught going through the radiator.

This need not concern the OP.
That thought, and my own post with the OP - talking about the South Lakes, made me think - where did I just read that "God only invented Lancashire to keep the worst of the draught off Yorkshire!"
And that's from someone whose correct Loyal, after dinner toast to the Monarch, remains "To the Duke of Lancaster".

Incidentally, as we've migrated from Hard Knott onto Sutton Bank - The latter, or a spot nearby, features what James Herriot (Alf Wight - who was a Scotsman by birth) called "the best view in England". Having visited many times I tend to agree. It is one of my family's top three favourite Christmas Day walks before settling down to dinner in the evening. Or was before the family got broken earlier this year.

I'm minded to ask another off-topic question. But also mindful of incurring the wrath of the Ruari, I'll start that in a separate thread....

·
Registered
139 Posts
1st and 2nd in the 7 speed DSG are lower than 1st and 2nd in the manual. So you may find the box chooses 2nd and 3rd.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Logiclee - perhaps the 1st gear in the 7-speed is a crawler gear so I just over-ride in heavy traffic out of habit, but as I mentioned earlier, the DSG knows best! Flintstone - had I not tried to use the e-brake at 5 mph and stopped so abruptly, I'd have thought 'what a good idea to try a handbrake turn - oh s**t'. You are also correct - the pub is in Kilburn, but the car park is public, so you can park there to visit Robert Thompson's shop before having a pint. 'The wrath of Ruari' - now there's a great title for a Fantastic Four or Star Trek movie as a follow up to the Wrath of Khan. Personaly, I'd be more frightened of Ruari! (No offence).

Reactions: Flintstone
1 - 20 of 46 Posts