Yeti Owners Club banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
14,336 Posts
SWMBO father, Squadron Leader R... S..... used to be in charge of Longcross when he was in the RAF, it was one of his favourite sites. His others were Benson, Brize Norton and Bicester.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I spent some time working on farms on the Long Mynd, the boss had driven Landrovers all over the farm since a lad and he would tell you where you could go and where you couldn't. I remember crossing slopes with on foot on the door to hold you into the seat. There were some slopes, all he said was don't touch the brakes. I went back about ten years later and walked round the place, Oh dear, I was almost hanging over the edge on my belly, lots of the slopes flattened out (I suppose all slopes must, or is there one awful hill that has no end.) The Landrover was just about out of time, we always carried oil but didn't fill it to the mark, crazy I know, but the boss had the final say. One day, coming down the Burway with two cows in the trailer behind, the brakes decided to register a protest by not functioning, I was steering across the road to the other side and rubbing off speed on the hill on that side. I was delighted when we reached the bottom, those cows made a good price (not that I shared in it).

·
Registered
178 Posts
The local LR centre here rebuilt a 90 which had gone down too steep a slope, a ss over t it job! ( driven by them) occupants survived ok

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Bryetian
Descending a long steep hill with low grip is interesting too. While low box and idle speed turns the wheels at a set speed, gravity can overcome grip and turn the vehicle into a toboggan with no steering
Your last paragraph is exactly why I would always recommend owners to NEVER use the Hill Descent Control in neutral, but stay in first as would could slightly accelerate to regain control.
Was first taught to do that when we did the training course when they first introduced the Freelander.

Reactions: bryetian

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
but stay in first as would could slightly accelerate to regain control.
Yup, the correct action is more throttle to "catch up" with gravity. :)

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
None of these techniques requiring the engine stopped but in gear can be used in a dsg? The engine has to be running to select a gear.
The hill descent function worked quite well in my previous Yeti, used it a fee times, and I have it in my new Karoq but not tried it in anger yet

41 - 46 of 46 Posts