Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ama new member with a 1.2 Auto Yeti, new in March this year. Now done 8000 miles, mostly on the continent. Does anyone out there have vibration, or more accurately a rythmic hum at 40mph and 60 mph? Noise is not evident at other speeds. Wheels and tyres all OK and in balance. Alignment also OK. Have seen a blog from another owner who had same problem at 65 mph and eventually traced to faulty ball joint. Any ideas from anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The problem has been solved by Whitequay Skoda. A faulty nearside front wheelbearing was the culprit. Have also discovered that Dunlop tryres are noisier than Pirelli which are virtually silent.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Not many miles for a wheel bearing, but over the years I've had a few fail and they have all done so at fairly low milage. At least the car was under warranty. I've not found the dunlops very noisy but will go back to Michelins when they wear out. Winter wheels/tyres on now 16" rather than 17" and Michelins, not sure if it is the extra sidewall height and increased volume of air between the rim and road butfar more comfortable over the bumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I have a CR170 4x4 elegance outdoor with a vibration at all speeds and in all gears. It is most noticible at between 50 to 70 mph. Henrys Skoda Glasgow has fitted 3 sets of new tyres ,Dunlop and now Pirelli plus 3 sets of new wheels. Also 2 new front driveshafts, 4 wheel alignment and prop shaft check with no change in symptoms.
Skoda UK have told me after all this work has been done that what I'm feeling is ,and I quote, "NORMAL OPERATION"
I have driven an identical model with around 5K on it and also yesterday I was taken as a passenger in a brand new delivery miles vehicle which both display the same symptoms.
I would describe the vibration as like being on a vibration plate exercise machine with the power set low which you may not notice whilst going to the shops but on a 3hr drive to Aberdeen makes you get out the car in a terrible state
This is my wife and I's 5th yeti ,we love the cars but Skoda has an ongoing problem with the facelift model. it's become absolutely horrible to drive and they're refusing to fix it.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
My pre F/L has no vibration (40,000 miles) and over the time that I have owned it have Ihad three different loan Yeti both, pre and post F/L and none of those had any vibration. Is it possible that the ones you have driven were a batch and may share something like faulty hub bearings? Have they had it supported on a ramp with the driven wheels rotating, that's how Mazda found a faulty bearing on one of my previous cars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi Innears, at least you seem to have a good/helpful dealer to go through all that work trying to solve your vibration problem.Have you had a rep from Skoda UK come and hear/feel the vibration?
I'm not trying to offer ideas, as if the dealer can't find the fault, who the **** am I to suggest an answer.

What I would do, is write to Skoda UK and ask, 'Are they informing you that NORMAL OPERATION includes vibration that authorised dealers are unable to explain?'
Good luck in your possible solution.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Found another person with I
Hi I am still getting used to my 18 month old yeti 4x4 tdi 170, having had it only a few of weeks.

I have noticed that it has a low frequency vibration that starts at
65MPH and continues as the speed increases. At first I thought that it
could be a wheel out of ballance but having just swapped the wheels
front to rear it's still there. The vibration can be heard, and to some
extent felt through the pedals. At 70 I find it annoying.

The vibration builds and fades and sounds similar to that of a turbo
prop aircraft where the two engines are running at slightly different
speeds - only much quieter ;-)

I've had it back to the dealer but they say it's just tyre noise. I'm not convinced.

Is this normal for a yeti 4x4?

Result: So, to complete the thread in case anyone else has a similar issue, this
eventually turned out to be a ball joint on the near side front.

It took a couple of visits to get fixed but it's all quiet now.

There are many items that can cause vibration like the above which one feels through the seat on your pants or through the pedals, but on reflection if you have experienced it in two other Yeti's of similar age then there could be a faulty batch of whatever components is causing the vibration

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are you certain it is transmission vibration, caused by rotating parts, and not simply some of the new plastic panel work, ie under body panels that are vibrating, and reach their natural resonance.
The fact it is happening on so many, means that there must be something in common.

Are they all 4x4, same engine, same options, same trim,? there must be a common factor, especially if you can eliminate some that don't do it

I once had the under body panel of a 4x4 vibrating, it sounded like a machine gun, luckily the vibration also happened at a fast tick over, so it was easy to find, I just tightened one M6 bolt. Sorted.

With modern cars, they seem to opt for plastic rivets, quick and cheap assembly I guess, which hold a panel secure, but cannot be tightened up later.

There could also be a heat shield that has been knocked or is touching the exhaust, or body, or is loose, or missing a clip.

I hate vibrations and rattles.
Our Picasso had an annoying rattle, and simply it was the rear seat belt, that after use, settled touching the rear door panel. So stop the car, jam the clip in the upper holder and it was fine until another passenger had been in the back...

We travelled up to Aberdeen for Christmas in our brand new yeti, and what we did notice was there was a lot more road noise on their motorways than on say the M6 , given the same speed, 60-70 mph
The hard shoulders on many motorways was often covered in loose gravel, which might in part be due to debris from the main carriageway breaking up and resting on there. The road surface was certainly rougher, with larger spaces in the surface, thus increasing the noise, and I guess subsequent vibration.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Innears said:
Hi, I have a CR170 4x4 elegance outdoor with a vibration at all speeds and in all gears. It is most noticible at between 50 to 70 mph. Henrys Skoda Glasgow has fitted 3 sets of new tyres ,Dunlop and now Pirelli plus 3 sets of new wheels. Also 2 new front driveshafts, 4 wheel alignment and prop shaft check with no change in symptoms.
Skoda UK have told me after all this work has been done that what I'm feeling is ,and I quote, "NORMAL OPERATION"
I have driven an identical model with around 5K on it and also yesterday I was taken as a passenger in a brand new delivery miles vehicle which both display the same symptoms.
I would describe the vibration as like being on a vibration plate exercise machine with the power set low which you may not notice whilst going to the shops but on a 3hr drive to Aberdeen makes you get out the car in a terrible state
This is my wife and I's 5th yeti ,we love the cars but Skoda has an ongoing problem with the facelift model. it's become absolutely horrible to drive and they're refusing to fix it.

I'd take exception to some of the comments here.
Neither this forum nor BriSkoda would seem to agree your comments.
Who says they have "an ongoing problem"? You, the dealer or SUK?

Certainly with my 4 year old, 87k mile Yeti I have never felt any vibration as you describe.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I have a facelift CR170 outdoor. No vibration whatsoever and I would notice as I have done a few 5hr+ journeys in mine and a couple of 12 hour ones. It is not a normal operation. Don't settle for it. Edited by: 137699

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer has agreed that there is a vibration and yes the 3 pre facelift yetis we had were perfect . Please realise that I'm a massive Skoda fan now on my 12th Skoda. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what I'm now confident is a potential problem with certainly the CR170 4x4 elegance of which my dealer has 3 cars exhibiting the same problem. Thanks though for all the tips I will endever to pass these comments to the dealer

·
Registered
599 Posts
Of the 3 that exhibit the 'problem' can you provide their details, age, mileage, auto, manual, engine etc. My 1.2 manual has now covered 5800 miles with no major issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
UMEL said:
Of the 3 that exhibit the 'problem' can you provide their details, age, mileage, auto, manual, engine etc. My 1.2 manual has now covered 5800 miles with no major issues.
<<Innears>> : Has stated that the problem is concerning CR170bhp model so your 1.2tsl model is unaffected

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd take exception to some of the comments here.Neither this forum nor BriSkoda would seem to agree your comments.
Who says they have "an ongoing problem"? You, the dealer or SUK?

Certainly with my 4 year old, 87k mile Yeti I have never felt any vibration as you describe.
[/QUOTE]
LLanigraham:
Is your yeti a CR170 If <Innears> has experienced the vibration in three different Yeti's then I feel he IS qualified to state that SUK DO have a problem with this model
As I will be purchasing a CR170 model in 7-8wks time will be interesting to see if I also experience the vibration

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed. also my wife's 170 l&k seems to be unaffected and the dealer has told me even though the running gear is the same the suspension components are somewhat different .
The 3 cars are all CR170 4x4 outdoor elegance manuals. The dealer is very proactive ,the reason warranty work on this problem has ceased is that Skoda technical UK when asked for advice has stated that because the other cars drive the same there is no problem and it's just a characteristic ie once again the quote "NORMAL OPERATION " I would welcome any inspection by a senior Skoda representative

·
Registered
599 Posts
Officeboy said:
UMEL said:
<<Innears>> : Has stated that the problem is concerning CR170bhp model so your 1.2tsl model is unaffected
OK but the original opening post alsoreferred to a 1.2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry if the CR170 thing has muddied the waters. My thinking was that your vibration question might be relevant to my car and was genuinely looking for a steer in the right direction if you pardon the pun. Apologies to all if I've taken you off track.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have just completed 10k in my 1.6 Greenline (gulp!) - not aware of any vibration. As the Hood notes, the 16 inch Michelin tyres provide a smooth ride. Interestingly, it only takes a small change in psi to alter that fact - having driven 170 miles with an unladen Yeti after dropping off No1 son and all his bags, cases etc etc with 25psi in the rear tyres, it does does feel different.

Getting back to the subject at hand, it does sound as though a mechanical component is at fault judging by the other posts here.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Henry's (Directors) need to start talking to Skoda UK (Directors). I would have thought after changing the wheels/tyres twice let alone three times they would have thought the fault lies elsewhere. They MUST know there is a problem if they are spending out on all those new parts.

Interesting that your dealer says suspension components are different...is that between the Elegance and the L&K or different power models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes between the elegance and l&k apparently there are some part codes different but I personally don't know what they are or if they're relevant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts