Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a VW Dieselgate Claims site somewhere today.

As my car is affected by the VW emissions scandal and as i was not able to register with the original "claims" because the reason was that the date i bought the car i should have been aware of the "scandal"

Is it worth signing up for?

BOND TURNER Dieselgate Claims

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
I get “regular” updates from one of the law firms involved, Slater-Gordon. Every 3-4 months. The latest, being last week. Informing that the latest appeal on VW behalf had been rejected by the UK Supreme Court as “groundless”. (The basis of the VW legal Appeal being essentially that there wasn’t a defeat device at all, in the first place. Which illustrates how the defence continues to argue black is white.)

That moves the joint claims along a significant notch, to the next stage. Where they start to talk about the impact on values, etc. The final stage then being compensation. Each stage being fought through multiple levels of high court and appeals, etc. By VW’s UK legal team. Despite the potential money to pay compensation already having been set aside by VW. And every other country where the process has concluded having already found in favour of the claimants. The most significant or sizeable of those having been Australia, USA, and even Germany itself.

So that as Llanigraham said right at the outset, the group who will gain most from the whole process will be the legal profession, and the whole process is now about “who pays costs?”, rather than “who pays the claimants?”. Whether there is anything left in the pot after those groups have had their slice, remains to be seen. But that’s where the process is headed and why there are multiple law firms jumping on the gravy train. (Having a daughter who is now a legal professional, albeit in areas totally unrelated to this, or even general soliciting work, means I should probably say no more on that front though.)

The process did grind to a halt earlier in the year, due to Covid preventing some of the hearings taking place on their due dates. But has now resumed its glacial machinations.

There is also now a parallel claim against Mercedes/Daimler-Benz AG. on a similar basis. At a slightly earlier stage of the tortured process.

I did have a thread running on the subject earlier. But haven’t kept it updated. As there is so little to announce really. The nominated test clients whose names are used in court, or customers to you and me, have already been identified though, and agreed by the defence. That may mean that the gate is closed to further claimants? Although there are still firms touting for business as you have no doubt been canvassed. One of the common criteria for eligibility though, being that you bought your affected vehicle prior to the news breaking that the “defeat device” existed. That being the point when used values started to be depressed and the VW CEO resigned soon after (Martin Winkerhorn?), on a suitably fat Pension. To be accepted as eligible, one of the key documents that you would need to submit being a sales invoice, showing the date of purchase, etc. Others being V5C showing you as keeper at the time.

I guess therefore that while your chances of eligibility may remain slim, “having a go”, will cost you little other than your time. You would be in company with a number of law firms in doing so.
I also guess that the counter argument might go that you had already benefitted from the lowered used car values when your purchase was made?

The collective noun for a room full of lawyers being an “argument”.

Reactions: Dutchman

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May as well try (nothing lost) as Slater Gordon said i was out of date (should have been aware) at time of my purchase.

The thing was i mentioned to the salesman that i would not be buying a Golf (as i would have after having the previous one 15 years) as they were affected, but he never mentioned that it also affected the Yeti i was buying,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts