Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an app called Zello work which changes a mobile phone into a walkie talkie, also when acting as Controller I can use Zellogeotracking on my laptop to see live data on a map showing a Responders position and speed.

Zello can be used on a mobile phone or a stand alone PTT radio with a sim card. Using Zello on the mobile can be a nuisance when a call comes in from the mobile and the walkie talkie at the same time on the same device.
I use a "retired" mobile for Zello with the lock screen turned off and the screen not dimming for 30 minutes, answering an incoming radio call just means picking it up pressing the on screen mike and speaking.
At home it runs off my wifi, away from home to avoid using my current mobile it would need a sim card or my mobile working as a hotspot. Yesterday whilst out Responding I was making a call when the sat-nav and Zello both decided to butt in at the same time!!!!!!
Does anyone know of a sim card that can be bought with a small amount of data that does not expire after a short time? I only need a couple of Gb or so, but I would only need to use the data when away from my house. Mobile provider help and chat lines are not much use in the current conditions, and terms and conditions are not the most interesting reading when read multiple times. I had wondered about 1p mobile but they are not quite what I was after. Giffgaff used to do a £10 10 gb sim that lasted a year but I can't find any mention of that anymore. Even a £4 a month contract could be £48 a year down the drain if not used.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had another look at their (3) T&C's (deep joy) and did not find where they say the payg does not expire. Possibly me going T&C blind.

The item below was on the Martin Lewis site.............

Forumite
716 POSTS
Part of the Furniture
500 Posts

I was needing some advice. My 'emergency phone' on 3 was on PAYG. I used it rarely and I kept it topped up with credit on in the event of an emergency. Since then I haven't used it and when I tried to use it, it wouldn't work and turns out it was 'disconnected' by 3 due to inactivity. I had been told previously that credit doesn't expire so when I called them today to ask if they can transfer it to my new 3 PAYG emergency sim card (as I have a contract with 3 too hence why I rarely use my emergency one). They said there is no way they can see the amount nor can they transfer it and that when the number goes into dormancy then the number and credit is gone forever.

I have a vague memory of someone at three many years ago explaining this won't happen and the credit will always be yours no matter what happens. Which is why I got the new sim card.
Also for those who don't know that their credit expires then this is hopefully useful for you to know.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this correct? I understand that the number will not be able to be retrieved but my credit should be able to be.

·
Registered
175 Posts
From memory, I think there may be something along the lines of that you need to make one call in three months. I normally put £10 credit on and that can last me 6 months. If you buy one of their “Jumbo” deals, they do expire after a month. The normal payg credit doesn’t.

I will take another look at the t&cs and see if I can confirm what I have just told you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
3’s T&Cs for Payg para 9.1(h) refers to 6 months of inactivity. Will keep looking but going a bit cross-eyed at the moment. 😳

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can understand the cross-eyed. I was on the Asda site just now and they mentioned 180 days rather than the 270 in the first link, Now I can't find it again.
1p mobile would actually cost £30 a year even if not used, as you have to top up with £10 during the year to retain usage.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I can understand the cross-eyed. I was on the Asda site just now and they mentioned 180 days rather than the 270 in the first link, Now I can't find it again.
Restricted use after 180 days and cancelled after 270 days.
2nd post above yours.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
I can confirm from past experience tthat 3 mobile PAYG sim cards have a six month (or may be 180 days) expiry if not used. However all you need to do is remember to make a call or send a text every so often and it maintains it's active state.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The PAYgo phone i use is on TESCO, you can top up for £10 and the only condition is that you have make ONE call in 6 months the balance stays endless until used, when i first went on it they were £5 top ups and after the first top up lasted me over 2 years i went to Tesco and asked for a £5 top up and the girl looked at me stupid, she said the cheapest one now was £10

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have three giffgaff sims that are low / no use
MIL phone is now 2 years since topped up, no calls made, still active.
Every so often I get an email telling me her non use, I go into her my account on the website and that keeps it active.
The other two are in alarms/remote switches and as its always giffgaff to giffgaff txt it counts as not using it. Same applies as the MIL mobile just log on to myaccount.

As all three are PAYG with no packs the credit never expires and I just pay for any data used on the remote alarm which is virtually nill and top up when needed about £10 a year.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I must need to go to specsavers, every time I go to a website and start looking at payg sims they seem to end up mentioning 30 day sims even when they don't show a monthly payment. Maybe my brain is too mangled. VOXI was top pick on Trilux's link but when you go to their website there is no mention of payg, Tesco start off with payg but end up with monthly payments as well. Maybe you can only get the sims from a shop.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think I must need to go to specsavers, every time I go to a website and start looking at payg sims they seem to end up mentioning 30 day sims even when they don't show a monthly payment. Maybe my brain is too mangled. VOXI was top pick on Trilux's link but when you go to their website there is no mention of payg, Tesco start off with payg but end up with monthly payments as well. Maybe you can only get the sims from a shop.
Yes I agree, information is not clear.

For what its worth the cheapest 30 day bundled sim deal I have come across is iD at £3.99pm but not sure it would suit your needs or how good coverage is.

You say not but would have thought 1p mobile that pigie backs off EE would have done it, the customer is required to make1 phone call in a 120 day period, £10-00. Their £30 sim is the same, 1 call every 120 days but on renewal for both, credit remaining, rolls over.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Tesco Lite Tarriff i think it is; Just buy top up and no expiry date. Just need to use once in 6 months.

5.4 If you do not use your Mobile Phone for six months we will disconnect you and you will lose your Credits and Mobile Phone number. If your Mobile Phone is disconnected and you would like to reconnect it, you must call Customer Care. If we agree to reconnect you, you must pay a reconnection fee. Details of the current reconnection fee are available by calling Customer Care.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With 1p mobile you have to top up every 120 days and the least you can top up is £10 so it costs £30 a year minimum. I don't need minutes or texts just data. That was something else, some of the payg sims did not have any data. I cover the Controller position about 60% of the time so it may only get used outdoors once or twice a year hence the reluctance to go for a monthly deal.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Sorry, missed the bit where you said you needed data.
I do not use any data on my pay as i go "Lite" but i think it could but not sure what charge it would be, may be worth checking.
I know we have 750mb data / mth on the tesco mobile we pay £7.50 for and i only put that on when i have poor reception at caravan to use as hotspot. But everytime it turns on to use mobile it uses data to update or something, so would what ever you got always be using some data? when turned on.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
But everytime it turns on to use mobile it uses data to update or something, so would what ever you got always be using some data? when turned on.
Why not set to not auto update or update on WiFi only to not use data to keep updating.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Why not set to not auto update or update on WiFi only to not use data to keep updating.
I have always got it on Wifi, it will pick mine up at home or my daughters BT Fon when out and in range of a hot spot.
It is just at caravan sometimes when the wi fi we pick up from other site is weak that i then tether from our mobile to use. It does not happen often and have never got to limit of data available so rather than alter anything (as i would not be sure 1005 what i was doing) it best to leave as is. It was only when i looked at usage once that there had been some and i knew i had not used any, and on contacting help desk that is what they said used it, again it was very little, but it was something. It would not be that noticeable on a contract phone but on paygo you would loose credit.

If that is possible then what The Hood wants the paygo contract/phone i got should do exactly that, he could turn updates off like you say and only have to use the phone once in 6 months and his £10 would last only on what he used for an unlimited time.

·
Registered
564 Posts
With 1p mobile you have to top up every 120 days and the least you can top up is £10 so it costs £30 a year minimum. I don't need minutes or texts just data. That was something else, some of the payg sims did not have any data. I cover the Controller position about 60% of the time so it may only get used outdoors once or twice a year hence the reluctance to go for a monthly deal.
Sorry Hood, didn't take on board, DATA ONLY.

There are, to the best of my reading only 4 operators which offer true Data only sim deals.

3, EE,Vodafone and 02.

The best value as far as I can tell is 3s pre loaded data sims of which their 24 month, 24gb, £60 up front is best for value.

For the rest, they are all expensive as Data only sims go, 3 is to but is best of the bunch for value.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just looked at Tesco Lite and they charge 10 per mb which is quite expensive (100mb=£10), so maybe a monthly non contract would be cheaper if it could be effectively turned on and off. At the moment the best option seems to tether to my main mobile, but not ideal.

Under normal circumstances I could just walk into a shop and see what they have, but very long queues just to get in and their call centres are shut. But the current conditions are the very reason I need to find one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts