Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Perhaps I am missing the point, but if you had a normal payg sim on 3, you would only be paying 1p per mb of data, surely that has to be a better deal?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't want Zello, the sat-nav and the phone all talking through the same device at the same time, which happened the day before yesterday whilst I was delivering PPE. So I want to use a "pensioned off" smartphone as a walkie talkie and to do that it needs a data link.
At home the broadband wifi takes care of things. I have not managed to find a payg sim on 3 for that price (1p per mb), not unless it was a monthly bundle. I am looking for a payg sim which has some data which I can leave in the phone/walkie talkie so I can use it away from home when I have to, any minutes or texts would not get used and so are not important.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have just checked my account on 3, and the payg plan I am on does charge 1p/mb. However........I did notice that there is a new payg plan, which is a lot more expensive and that one has data at 5p/mb. I am hoping that they will not automatically switch me onto that as texts and data are 5 times more expensive and calls more than 3 times.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Everything seems to be more expensive at the moment, Tesco no longer do offers or multipacks, and Amazon are charging full price on almost everything. I walked into town this morning to get some bread, I passed Carphone Warehouse, Vodaphone and E, none of them had anything about payg in their windows, only large amounts of data 100gb, 200gb and unlimited data.
At the moment most providers also seem to mean monthly bundles when they mention payg

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've ordered an Asda and a 3 "free" sim to see what is actually offered.

With 3 you can't seem to find anything out without a sim, they used to have a 3-2-1 account which was 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1p per mb, it is still shown on the Martin Lewis website but I think that has been discontinued.
They have muddied the waters and now offer traditional payg and bundled payg. I am looking for traditional but that appears to be like expecting a cd and instruction manual with a computer programme.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 3-2-1 account is the one that I am on. It has now been replaced by a 10-10-5 (don’t think they call it that but you know what I mean). I think that may only have happened yesterday.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It has now been replaced by a 10-10-5 (don’t think they call it that but you know what I mean). I think that may only have happened yesterday.
That's my luck all over :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
As you say everything now seems pricey (just checked on sky for tv/bb deal as just had letter of increase and nothing doing)
I did previously look for data only deal on anything (to use at caravan) but there were only monthly deals or deals that your data expired after so many days, so just gave up and hoped i could get "free" wi fi or as said above would have to use my monthly data (750mb) on phone.
There was nothing around even then that was "cheap"

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
TV, Fibre Broadband and a years Amazon Prime £25.50 for eighteen months TalkTalk
Tried Talk Talk before THEY do not do "fibre" in the area, not enough speed on the basic to run the tv system.

I was "lucky" (one day it was available the next it wasn't) to get on "fibre" with sky last year which was no different price than i was paying for the basic and improved my speed to 20mb

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
They might now or have you just checked? Last time I renewed NOW broadband wasn't round here, but they are now.
They only guarantee 10mb speed (sure if that was not enough before) No record, only 12 mths tv with 18mths bb, no discovery channel.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Everything seems to be more expensive at the moment, Tesco no longer do offers or multipacks, and Amazon are charging full price on almost everything. I walked into town this morning to get some bread, I passed Carphone Warehouse, Vodaphone and E, none of them had anything about payg in their windows, only large amounts of data 100gb, 200gb and unlimited data.
At the moment most providers also seem to mean monthly bundles when they mention payg
Taking into account so many shops are closed at the moment and will remain closed for a while yet, I thought Carphone Warehouse had closed all its stand alone outlets for good?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had read that Carphone warehouse were going to close their shops but the lockdown came into force before they actually did it. We have two branches, one moved from an enclosed precinct into a brand new shop a few hundred yards away, and another inside a large Curry's shed less than a quarter of a mile away from the shop.
I was one of TalkTalk's launch customers and went into the old Carphone warehouse shop to get things sorted. I went into their shop a few days before the lockdown to see if they cold fix the broken power switch on my mobile. They didn't stock parts but offered to send it away, so maybe the final decision is yet to be made. Just as well I did not leave my phone with them. I found the part for just over three pounds and it took just four seconds to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
As I understand it, the CW mini shops inside Curry’s and PC World warehouse outlets (same thing), will stay. Just the stand alone shops I doubt will re-open.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had read that Carphone warehouse were going to close their shops but the lockdown came into force before they actually did it. We have two branches, one moved from an enclosed precinct into a brand new shop a few hundred yards away, and another inside a large Curry's shed less than a quarter of a mile away from the shop.
I was one of TalkTalk's launch customers and went into the old Carphone warehouse shop to get things sorted. I went into their shop a few days before the lockdown to see if they cold fix the broken power switch on my mobile. They didn't stock parts but offered to send it away, so maybe the final decision is yet to be made. Just as well I did not leave my phone with them. I found the part for just over three pounds and it took just four seconds to fix it.
Its already been announced as of 3rd of April, all 530 of its stand alone shops have closed, throwing hundreds into unemployment.

Although there had been mutterings since Nov'2019 it might happen-- by 12th of March 2020 it was a sure fire thing and by the 17th the media had confirmed it.

Although the Covid crises and lockdown didn't help, CPW or at least the shops were in trouble and most losing money.

On the 19/3 our daughter put her Samsung J5 in for repair, under her mobile replacement warranty she has with CPW. They were insistent they delivered repair/replacement phone to her address but would need to be signed for.

Because of her work shifts she wasn't sure she'd be home to accept delivery so said she would collect from store, they told her they weren't sure if it would be open but she took a chance. She was fortunate, the next day they phoned me, her replacement phone was ready to collect.

By the following Monday the store had shut its doors for good.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I used the online chat with 3 today, they say the 3-2-1 sim still exists and is valid until spent. On their website there is payg sim and new payg sim. If you get a sim from them on line or from one of their shops it is the new one, if you get it from a reseller it is the older 3-2-1 sim. I wonder if Tesco have them on the tills. I only want it for an ALPS F40 so no calls or texts needed and a £10 3-2-1 would probably last me for a year.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts