Yeti Owners Club banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This is quite odd, I have just ordered this for 4p including delivery on Amazon. Not sure if I trust it as it will cost the seller more than 4p to send it to me. I wonder if it is possible to put malicious software onto a sim card? Mind you it will only get used for Zello so no passwords or bank data will be going anywhere near it. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.
If I can get one from Tesco I may blow the 4p and not use it. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is quite odd, I have just ordered this for 4p including delivery on Amazon. Not sure if I trust it as it will cost the seller more than 4p to send it to me. I wonder if it is possible to put malicious software onto a sim card? Mind you it will only get used for Zello so no passwords or bank data will be going anywhere near it. If something seems too good to be true it usually is.
If I can get one from Tesco I may blow the 4p and not use it. :)

View attachment 3809
Currently have one of these in my hand, so small print time.
Your 3p/min, 2p/text and 1p/MB of data last as long as your Top-up - this lasts until the last penny is spent.
You need to use your SIM to make a call, send a text, or get online at least once every 6 months to keep your account active.
Looks ideal

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Currently have one of these in my hand, so small print time.
Your 3p/min, 2p/text and 1p/MB of data last as long as your Top-up - this lasts until the last penny is spent.
You need to use your SIM to make a call, send a text, or get online at least once every 6 months to keep your account active.
Looks ideal
So what is the difference with this one, than Tesco that i am on?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The difference is that most providers be they virtual such as Tesco, ID etc, or owners of their own network ,such as 3 are moving away from the original PAYG format onto monthly bundles and calling them PAYG. The sim card I have ordered is not available direct from 3, they have "mutated" PAYG to monthly bundles which expire. I could not find a Tesco sim with a non expiry date (subject to minimal use). Even 1p mobile who sound very good will cost a minimum of £30 a year even if only used once every four months. The minimum 1p mobile sell is a £10 top up and their card has to be topped up three times a year.
My query with the sim I have ordered is why a reseller on Amazon will effectively pay me to use the sim they are subsidising. 4p does not cover post and packing so why are they selling it? There are also sim cards with £10 pre loaded on sale for £9.97 including free delivery.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My guess would be that the retailers are on some form of commission from the mobile phone companies. So for example if they were making 50p profit for the sale of a £10 card, they could afford to sell it for £9.97. The same sort of thing would apply for your 4p SIM card.

I can’t imagine that Tesco are giving the free cards they have on display without some form of kick back?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My query in post 43 was about costs not network, as i said previously my Tesco payg only requires one call every 6 months to keep the sim/number active.
So the only cost outside of calls and texts would be if you used data. (there would be no cost for updates if as said earlier update is turned of and then turned back on using your wi fi at home)
So are you saying that the data usage on Tesco is dearer than other suppliers?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I can find a site selling top ups for Tesco payg sims (rapido) but I can't find anywhere that says what the rate is. Asda are either 4p or 5p per mb. with either a 90 or 120 day requirement for a chargeable usage. I'v looked at so many sites the numbers are begining to scramble my brain.
The walkie talkie started walking to the UK from China yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Just had a look on Tesco site, and it looks like only existing customers can go on the "Lite" tariff which must be the one that i am on.
The other two tariffs without looking into them look like there is a monthly cut off.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wonder if it is possible to put malicious software onto a sim card?
There already is Hood, no matter where or whom supplies you with the Sim and dependant on what your idea of malicious or sinister is.

And while not a direct answer to your question, everyone should be aware of sim card swap/fraud and how easy it is to perpetrate.

Which is why two step verification via a phone text message is not safe, is not secure and mobile users should not be lulled into a false sense of security with its use.

So if a mobile phone, with a lot of sensitive data on, ( to its owner ), is having an unusually quite day--do something!

Like, phone your mobile, if it rings it's just a quite day or two, if not, get busy.

View attachment 3809

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This arrived yesterday, all I need now is for the walkie talkie to walk a bit faster from China so I can have a play. Considering I only paid 4p the service and delivery were superb.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The radio arrived today, package opened wearing gloves but contents safe as it took two weeks to arrive. Normally I have a quarantine area in the garage where the post gets lined up each day for a four day rest (plastics) two days (paper) before opening.

Not many instructions but warnings that I must not suck or chew the battery as that could shorten its life. I must also not put the battery in the freezer.
Not tried to activate the sim yet as I want to make sure the radio works on wifi and a hot spot to check it is not faulty.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just to finish off, the sim has been activated and is indeed 3p, 2p and 1p activating was nothing like the instructions on the card, in fact I thought I had messed it up and squandered another 8p on two more sims which I don't need now. Min top up is £5 so ideal if wanted for a car glovebox.
The radio works a treat and is also a phone with front and rear cameras although they will not get used. It takes a micro sd card and two sims can be fitted.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts