Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My first post. Had my 65 yeti for a year or so, second hand. I leave my lights on auto most of the time. A few months ago I noticed an warning light telling me there was an issue with my offside light, and the lights would go out. Fast forward a day or so, lights work again and no warning light. After a while I noticed that this only happened after or during rain.
Thinking this must be some wiring getting damp, I took my yeti to the local Skoda Listers and asked them to look into it. The answer came back that as the fault was not present whilst they had the car they could do nothing. No, they couldn't possibly try and replicate the fault with a bucket of water, that was not possible, and the only solution was that I get the car over to them (half hour drive) when the fault was actually present. I guess this means waiting for it to be dark (so they'll probably be closed anyway) then driving a fair way with no lights, which doesn't sound very safe to me...
Wondered if anyone has any idea what could be wrong, and if there's a quickish fix? Please explain as if I'm five years old as I'm not technical at all. Thanks 馃槉

Premium Member
Which offside light? Head? Side? Front or back?

Administrator
Do you know if Listers scanned for a fault code? You don't mention a charge so I assume they did not, as it is a rare dealer that does something for nothing.
Are you able to replicate the fault with a bucket of water or a watering can? Then you could find out where needs to be made wet to make the fault return. e.g. direct on the light, from inside the bonnet (if a front light).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
They didn't mention it, but then they were more bothered about getting the car out of their way I think. They didn't even ask for payment until the following day (it was in for a service anyway so I asked them to check it out whilst it was in).
I haven't done that yet but I will at the weekend. Thanks 馃憤

Premium Member
There have been several reports on here in the past where people have had a Bulb Failure Warning appear even when the bulb appears to be working, but often intermittently, so the first thing I would do is fit a new headlight bulb that side.

And I note that you haven't said exactly what Yeti you have, so I have presumed that you don't have HID lights fitted. Exactly what Yeti do you have?

Premium Member
In my experience at replacing the the drl bulb which is accessed through the headlamp "bung" it looks almost impossible to get any ingress of water to the head lamp or its connection (unless you lift the bonnet up and spray water with great force in that direction)

Premium Member
The headlights on pre-facelift models are not sealed. The grilles in the silver moulding on the inner side of the unit are open, as several have found when insects have got in. Not sure about post facelift models.

Premium Member

Premium Member
Lorlaw

Re-Reading post #1 for the fourth time, I鈥檓 still unclear (if that鈥檚 an appropriate word for a bulb fail? 馃槙 ) exactly what the symptoms are?

Did you say in #1 that the first thing that happens is a generic bulb failure warning on the dash? Followed by the offside (car鈥檚 right side) headlamp bulb not working? When you say 鈥渁nd the lights would go out鈥 and mention 鈥渄riving a fair way way with no lights鈥, do you mean that a third symptom is that after the single headlamp bulb fail, a third problem then appears of a complete blackout of ALL lights? Side, heads, tail, indicators, brake lights, all go off together?
Or is it just the single headlamp bulb that stops working?

If just the single bulb, how long before it works again?
What other conditions occur before it comes back on?
Does the bulb come back on while it is still raining, or only in the dry?
What happens if you switch the lights off, then on again?
What happens if, while the bulb is off, you give the front of the affected headlamp unit a bit of a thump with the flat of your hand? (A good test for an intermittent loose contact).

Also I鈥檓 rather confused why you mention 鈥渢his means waiting for it to be dark鈥 before you can test or replicate the problem? Is it not possible to move the rotary lights switch on the dashboard, clockwise, away from the 鈥渁uto鈥 position where you say you normally leave it, through 鈥渙ff鈥 and 鈥渟ide/position鈥 lights, to the 鈥渉eadlamps on鈥, position? In the daytime? (The ignition switch may also need to be ON, before the headlamps will function.)
If you do that, is the bulb failure still apparent?

We need some more help on the symptoms, before we can help with a possible solution. A bit like your dealer perhaps?

Reactions: Llanigraham

Premium Member
The op said 65 plat
Then as I said above, they are not sealed
The op said 65 Yeti, so i take he means a 65 plate, so this is the FL model.

And i think they are sealed

Premium Member
The op said 65 plat

The op said 65 Yeti, so i take he means a 65 plate, so this is the FL model.

And i think they are sealed
He also says it is a 170 model, and that couldn't be a 65 reg, so there appears to be much confusion here.

Administrator
May have been one of the last 170bhp models as they were still being sold and are in the January 2015 sales brochure but were dropped later that year and the newer 150bhp introduced.

Premium Member
LorLaw also says it is an 鈥淥utdoor鈥. Did the outdoor/indoor :) options only get introduced with the facelift? Or were they also available on later versions of the classic, bug eye fog lamp version?

Administrator
LorLaw also says it is an 鈥淥utdoor鈥. Did the outdoor/indoor :) options only get introduced with the facelift? Or were they also available on later versions of the classic, bug eye fog lamp version?
"Outdoor" was introduced with the Facelift for MY2014 and the older Euro5 engines continued until sometime in the first half of 2015 so a 65 plate 170bhp is possible if it was one of the last off the production line and kept to be registered in September 2015.

Premium Member
He also says it is a 170 model, and that couldn't be a 65 reg, so there appears to be much confusion here.
As you most probably have more Yeti knowledge than me.
I was only going off the registered year to determine if it is a FL model.

Are you saying (without me researching) that only frog eyed Yeti's have 170 model? Just to clear confusion up.

Administrator
Are you saying (without me researching) that only frog eyed Yeti's have 170 model? Just to clear confusion up.
The 170 bhp was fitted to both the "classic" frog eye and the facelift versions until sometime in 2015. The facelift was essentially bodywork cosmetic rather than mechanical changes.

Reactions: Dutchman
1 - 19 of 19 Posts