Yeti Owners Club banner

Watch that wiper arm

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  The Hood 
#1 ·
Well one week down and I'm lovin' it. Washed the car for the first time this morning between showers
and think I have discovered my first design flaw.

I don't know if anybody has posted on this before but when lifting the offside wiper arm to clean the valance at the base of the screen and the wiper arm itself you need to be careful not to pull the arm so far back that the arm catches the painted lip of the bonnet.Not a major gripe I know but watch out if you are having the car hand washes by others.

I experienced this same flaw with the GTV but maybe it's a ploy by th manufacturer to encourage you to wash the car yourself.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep I noticed mine on the first wash also, now I turn on the ignition, pull down the wiper switch and turn off ignition when the wiper is upright, it also makes it easier to lift the wipers as I,m a short ar**.

#3 ·
If you "flick" the internal wiper arm down after turning the ignition off, then the wipers will go into a vertical "park" position, that stops this happening.

As usual it is mentioned in the Handbook!!

#4 ·
When washing the car or whenthe cold weather arrives (unless you have a heated screen) it's worth putting the wipers into the service positionthe night before, so you can lift them off to scrape the screen.
Remove the key from the ignition and press down on the wiper stalk, the wipers will then raise to the uppermost point of their travel. Then they can be lifted off the screen without catching the bonnet.

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the park position for the wipers. I now feel ready for the severe winter which will no doubt follow on from this shocking summer.

PS. I do of course realise that I missed autumn from my statement above but I can't imagine we'll be above to spot the transition this year.

#8 ·
I know this post is nearly 2 years old but i have noticed something odd my my FL Yeti which i have only had for 2 weeks.Sometimes when i turn the engine off the wipers 'twitch' slightly ( just a fraction of an inch) towards the service position. This is enough to allow the arms and blades to be lifted off the screen without touching the bonnet edge. Sometimes the next time i turn the ignition on they 'twitch' back into their original position.
At first i thought this must be a factory fitted solution to the problem in the first post here.
However why does it only happen sometimes ?
I am definitely not accidentally touching the wiper stalk.
Anyone know what is going on ? Do i have a fault ?

Ken

#9 ·
This is done on both the pre and post F/L Yeti, it is intended to make sure the rubber is not bent over in the same direction all the time. On a normal car the wiper rubbers get bent over and work less efficiently and encourage judder. From memory it is around every fourth or fifth time.

#11 ·
The Hood said:
This is done on both the pre and post F/L Yeti, it is intended to make sure the rubber is not bent over in the same direction all the time. On a normal car the wiper rubbers get bent over and work less efficiently and encourage judder. From memory it is around every fourth or fifth time.
Well I never, thanks Derek - I'd wondered about that too but as it is a bit sporadic I'd forgotten about it by the time I'd locked the car

H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.