Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current situation and restrictions on movement I expect there will be a few Yeti being "put to bed" what will you do with yours?

To avoid flat spots on the tyres mine will be inflated to 40 psi and moved up and down the drive by a few feet each week.

I will make sure it is not under the TV aerial!

I will be plugging my C-TEK charger into the boot socket to keep the battery healthy CTEK MXS 5.0

At the last filling I forward planned and added some archoil to help stabilise the fuel. Don't be tempted to mix adatives without checking first. Here is an article about 6900-D and hybrogen Difference between Hybrogen and AR6900-D | Oilem - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

What will you be doing?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do you think the obd dongle should be removed or doesn't it take power until ignition on?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Thanks Derek. Our K will only be used twice a week for shopping for ourselves and neighbours, so your post is very timely and I've ordered a charger.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dongle I use switches itself off, whilst it is "live" it will be using bluetooth which eats phone batteries. I would be inclined to remove it, if you are not using the car you will not need it plugged in.but I always remove mine anyway in case it get knocked and damages the port.

My charger was plugged in continuously for nine weeks when my knee was replaced and the battery was fine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks Hood, I've just checked the tyres for something to do. I'll whip out the dongle later.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I will be plugging my C-TEK charger into the boot socket to keep the battery healthy CTEK MXS 5.0
Just looked at the link? How on earth can it make the battery last up to 3 times longer? Whats your experience after owning it. I never normally have to consider this, but may take my car off the road for at least 3 months until I need it to work again. Can use wifes car in the meantime, petrol so better anyway for short trips.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
I may take my car off the road for at least 3 months until I need it to work again. Can use wife's car in the meantime, petrol so better anyway for short trips.
Foolishly, I re-taxed the BMW for 12-months, two weeks ago. If I had been thinking forward, I should have declared it SORN for a few months. Might still do that before the month-end and reclaim 11-months? Is that how it works? Tell the insurance too maybe?

The Yeti remains in normal daily use. As SWMBO is employed providing in-school education and child care functions for the children of NHS workers. Can't do that from home. Might struggle to give it so many of its regular, DPF-friendly, longer trips though? E.G. Easter in Norfolk is right off the agenda.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I doubt if insurance will reduce. You should get 11/12's back if you take it off the road before end of March.
Might not need the Yeti again until next winter!! Leaving winter tyres on for now.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Guess there will be a few others giving their Yeti a holiday.
Unfortunately have daily trips for next 3 weeks, as my wife has to have
Radio therapy Mon to Fri each day.

Drive is around half an hour each way.
Hospital has it worked out that, park in car park and phone them on arrival.
Wait in car till called, patient walks in on their own (if able).
When treatment complete, walk back to car. Drive on home.

This virus certainly puts life into perspective.
Good news about the car MOT being extended.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife needed a blood test yesterday, same thing, but in her car due short journey

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I will be plugging my C-TEK charger into the boot socket to keep the battery healthy CTEK MXS 5.0 What will you be doing?
The charger is arriving today. Does anything need adjusting to allow the boot socket to connect to the battery ie is it always on? Other things to do will be a polish for the K, full internal valet, change winter wheels for summer ones and then sit behind the wheel going 'Vroom vroom' imagining I'm driving over the moors. Lots of things to do inside and outside the house too, so it's not all bad news.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The boot socket on a Yeti is live all the time I assume yours will be the same. Hopefully you ordered the socket adaptor for the charger, changing from crocodile clips to the socket adaptor is easy. Mine will be swapping between our two cars probably every two weeks.
In case you didn't this is what you need price £7-99

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Thanks Hoodie. The charger arrived without the adaptor, although Amazon's write-up implied it was included. I also did the obvious check of the boot socket and used my plug-in voltmeter to confirm that the socket is always on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent solar charger?

Could be useful for those doing fewer miles who can't easily plug in.

Spag

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeti is in bed.
Butchered my 4a charger to plug into rear socket.
Will switch down to 0.8 amp once fully charged.
Not sure I like the cable going in through the rear door is there another way?
Also dont like 13amp plug/socket under the car (extension lead is way to thick for the door)
so may well change that for a 16amp blue plug/socket.
RAV4 for now :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Yeti will get regular use as I work in the waste industry, so essential services.
Doing a long run to keep the DPF clear my be problematic though.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent solar charger?

Could be useful for those doing fewer miles who can't easily plug in.

Spag
Yes; don't bother!
Although they may give an output figure that is under perfect conditions and those you will never find in the UK. You will be lucky to get more than 50% output at this time of year, so unless you fancy fitting a full sized panel it isn't worth bothering.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Doing a long run to keep the DPF clear my be problematic though.
The car’s own regen capabilities are very good. If you have an Android smartphone, the “VAG DPF” app can be a very useful tool to monitor the health of the DPF. (Coupled with a suitable Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the car’s OBD-II diagnostic port. Such as an ELM 327 transmitter). VAG DPF reveals that when the DPF’s soot load gets over around 80% then a regen is triggered when other conditions are met, such as a decent journey length seems to be underway, oil and coolant temperatures are fully up to normal, exhaust temperatures adequate, no other fault codes present, etc.

Once a regen has started the ECU injects extra fuel during each cylinder’s exhaust stroke, to raise the exhaust temperature to well over 600 deg.C. When soot burn off can take place. It can take as little as 10 miles of main A-road driving to complete, bringing the soot load back down below 20% again. Provided there are no stops or traffic lights, etc. along the way. That would allow the exhaust temp to fall and interrupt the regen.

So 10 miles outbound to get everything up to full normal temperature and enable the regen to start, then 10 miles back to let it complete, can be enough. The advantage of using VAG DPF to monitor, is that you can tell exactly when the engine is ready to start a regen and how it is progressing.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also place a chock in front of diagonally opposite wheels and release the handbrake, if it seizes, better off than on. Then after a couple of weeks the car is moved a few feet and the chocks moved to the other wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts