Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The car’s own regen capabilities are very good. If you have an Android smartphone, the “VAG DPF” app can be a very useful tool to monitor the health of the DPF. (Coupled with a suitable Bluetooth transmitter to plug into the car’s OBD-II diagnostic port. Such as an ELM 327 transmitter). VAG DPF reveals that when the DPF’s soot load gets over around 80% then a regen is triggered when other conditions are met, such as a decent journey length seems to be underway, oil and coolant temperatures are fully up to normal, exhaust temperatures adequate, no other fault codes present, etc.

Once a regen has started the ECU injects extra fuel during each cylinder’s exhaust stroke, to raise the exhaust temperature to well over 600 deg.C. When soot burn off can take place. It can take as little as 10 miles of main A-road driving to complete, bringing the soot load back down below 20% again. Provided there are no stops or traffic lights, etc. along the way. That would allow the exhaust temp to fall and interrupt the regen.

So 10 miles outbound to get everything up to full normal temperature and enable the regen to start, then 10 miles back to let it complete, can be enough. The advantage of using VAG DPF to monitor, is that you can tell exactly when the engine is ready to start a regen and how it is progressing.
Thanks for the info, but I don't have a smart phone

·
Registered
37 Posts
May be a daft question! In my youth, if a car was laid up for a while, we always let the hand brake off and left the car in gear. Unfortunately I have no chocks as such so my question is, should I leave it in gear? And, if so, what gear is best? Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
May be a daft question! In my youth, if a car was laid up for a while, we always let the hand brake off and left the car in gear. Unfortunately I have no chocks as such so my question is, should I leave it in gear? And, if so, what gear is best? Cheers in advance.
Usually leave ours in gear whether handbrake on or off. First gear if facing uphill, reverse if facing downhill. Many years ago it was also recommended to set the steering so that the front wheel nearest the kerb was angled so that the car would be held against the kerb if the handbrake failed. I still do this out of habit on very steep hills.
I've also read instances of the clutch friction plate sticking to the flywheel during long periods of non-use. Not sure if modern clutch materials prevent this.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
No problem with a dsg as it locks the gearbox in P, so will leave mine in P on the flat, with handbrake off.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Just in front of your right knee when sitting in drivers seat, easier to see kneeling outside car.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Resting voltage 12.1 yesterday at 5:30pm, then on charge. On to level 3 under 10 minutes. At 9:30am today 12.3 v on level 7. A short journey today for a paper and still 12.3 v. Back on charge. Any further comments, eg daily recharge or check resting voltage weekly?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Resting voltage 12.1 yesterday at 5:30pm, then on charge. On to level 3 under 10 minutes. At 9:30am today 12.3 v on level 7. A short journey today for a paper and still 12.3 v. Back on charge. Any further comments, eg daily recharge or check resting voltage weekly?
Just leave the Ctek unit connected to the car. At full charge it will gently top up the battery as required.

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
I started using the CTEK charger on the 27th March, when the resting voltage was 12.2. It's gradually crept up and yesterday evening it had reached 12.7V. I never checked the battery voltage when we were able to use the car regularly, but will keeping it on charge help in any way, particularly once we are able to go out on longer journeys? It's easy enought to connect, but would I be wasting my time? I never had problems with our other cars, for example the Octavia's battery was the original one after 9 years, although it was used regularly for work.

·
Administrator
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just as your K has more electronics to keep happy than your Yeti, the Yeti had more than your Octavia. The charger will not do any harm if left on and will maintain the battery at it's peak.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure I like the cable going in through the rear door is there another way?
The seal under the front doors is softer/thicker than around the boot, so I connect my charger to the "cigar" lighter socket between the front seats. Unlike the rear hatch, the door closes easily without damaging the cable or the seal.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts