Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had one fitted to my 2.0 Elegance by Anglia Towbars in Newmarket.
They appear to have done a good job. I had to get the panel and reinforcement from my local dealer and it's booked to go back there next week for coding.

For the record, costs were as follows:

Cover £16.41
Reinforcement £4.34

Supply & fit Westfalia Towbar £378.00
Supply & fit Yeti Wiring Kit £216.00

I'm told the coding will cost me half an hour of workshop time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's not too bad. I paid £50 more (incl VAT) at a London Skoda Dealer.
That's all done and ready to go

Very impressed with the towbar and the way the electrics fold away. Some people are easily pleased. :)

Edited by: BossFox

·
Registered
828 Posts
I managed to get a deal when I bought my Elegance 140 TDi 4x4 last year which basically included the tow bar and fitting in the price of the car, and I have to say, it works a treat. Having had several towbars over the years which have all been bolt on balls ( !? ) the removable Westfalia job that seems yo come down to relying on 3 ball bearings appears a bit scarey. But I have used it and it does work!

Super car, it has been to the south of Spain
and back with no discomfort and is showing just over 45mpg average. This I assume is a bit high as the speedo reads about 4-5 mph high according to my Tom Tom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - i need a towbar for my Yeti but don't know whether to go the extra mile for the detachable type or not - partly because of cost and partly because i don't know what bits to ask for to cover the hole up when the towbar is not in use - the cover panel etc - do i need to order the complete silver panel or is it just cut a hole and fit an additional new cover - do you have part numbers i can ask for?

Think the cost of a detachable setup was around £600 from and independent fitter

TonyP

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi again the detachable tow bar is rather a lot some have be quoted over £700, but in the kit should be all the parts for the cover plate, hole has to be cut and then glue new parts on to make the removable flap fit.

The only thing to make sure is that the wiring is plugged into the loom (plug is behind the left side panel in the boot just above the wheel arch) avoid scotch locking it into the system this will cause you no end ofproblems,and the yeti will need to have a recoding done most dealers can do this, (have heard a few dealers have not done it right) some tow bar fitting companies will do it all in the price
Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As noted above, I got Anglia Towbars to fit the Westfalia removeable towbar.
I had to order the cover (p/n 5L6807499U34) and reinforcement (p/n 5L6807518) from my local dealer.

Angliafitted the towbar andthe removable panel.Once fitted, I had to return to the dealer to get the towbar coded which cost me an hour of labour (the Westfalia kit comes with full details of the coding required).

Under £700 complete.

Not seen any pictures of non-removable towbars fitted so don't know how neat they'll look. I presume that a hole will still have to be cut from the tray?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just booked in me Yeti for towbar fitting - i spoke with the dealer (Gordon Lamb Skoda in Chesterfield) and they were quite open about the fact that the parts from Skoda would cost more before fitting than using their recommended independent fitter to do the entire job.

I contacted 'Towbar & Trailers' in Chesterfield and they quoted me £620 for the detachable Westfalia kit and £420 for the fixed Westfalia option. Both included the vehicle specific wiring kit - my Yeti doesn't have the towbar prep. They also re-code the car for the parking sensors etc.

However - when i rang to confirm the booking they explained that they could not get a Westfalia fixed towbar for a number of weeks and offered me a Witter towbar at the same price. Interestingly, these can be upgraded to their detachable system at a later date quite easily so i'll wait and see and update the post when i know more about this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had Witter detachables on two previous Golf GTi's - fine, no problems and parts/spare keys are cheaper than Westfalia too!
I'd be quite happy to have another Witter - is the Witter cheaper?

·
Registered
14 Posts
tonyp5606 said:
I have just booked in me Yeti for towbar fitting - i spoke with the dealer (Gordon Lamb Skoda in Chesterfield) and they were quite open about the fact that the parts from Skoda would cost more before fitting than using their recommended independent fitter to do the entire job.

I contacted 'Towbar & Trailers' in Chesterfield and they quoted me £620 for the detachable Westfalia kit and £420 for the fixed Westfalia option. Both included the vehicle specific wiring kit - my Yeti doesn't have the towbar prep. They also re-code the car for the parking sensors etc.

However - when i rang to confirm the booking they explained that they could not get a Westfalia fixed towbar for a number of weeks and offered me a Witter towbar at the same price. Interestingly, these can be upgraded to their detachable system at a later date quite easily so i'll wait and see and update the post when i know more about this.

How did you get on with your towbar? Did you get a fixed one and did it affect the parking sensors.?

Bob
Edited by: bettysman

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
poshtyke said:
What type of bars are fitted on factory fits. Ordered a new Yeti and am hoping it's a Alko. Matt

See my answer to the other thread you have opened with the same question.
But to paraphrase, Westphalia, swan-necked, Alko safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts