Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not the best of weekends to have the grandchildren round to stay! We managed to get out for a short time yesterday, but not today, and the stop over got extended with the parents being stranded in Milan. I took the youngest to Brooklands this afternoon, we got there at 1445 to be greeted by a sign saying that they were closing at 1500!!!

On the way back the road ahead looked foggy and in the blink of an eye we were in a solid wall of rain that lasted for about two hundred yards, the auto wipers went bonkers and my grandson laughed his head off. Then just as suddenly we were back into normal heavy rain.

With a tail wind a BA 747 clocked up 825 mph en-route from JFK-LHR today, setting a subsonic record knocking two hours off the normal subsonic flight time.

4x4 Response were active today, and one of them was "taken out" by a falling branch on the way to a call, no injuries but his roof was caved in (Landrover Discovery).

I'm back in the hot seat again tomorrow but the weather seems to be reducing with a possible blip tomorrow......... Yellow Warning of Wind affecting England (London & South East England) : Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, West Sussex valid from 1000 Mon 10 Feb to 1900 Mon 10 Feb.

A piece of cake after the grandchildren. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn't venture out yesterday but was pleased to find my fences, shed and greenhouse intact this morning :)

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Drove from North Yorkshire (starting 10 miles from Pateley Bridge that was mentioned on the TV). Down to Telford, Shropshire. Via A1(M), M18, M1, A38, A5, M54. Between 15:00 and 18:30 (with a short coffee stop). No problems at all. Plenty of water on the ground and even more in the rivers. A whole sky full in fact. Roads all good. A very noticeable absence of middle lane Hoggers. Pretty easy trip in fact. Compared to average for the same journey.

Snow in Telford today :)

London by Avanti tomorrow. Will see if the trains have got themselves sorted?

Used to know a girl called Ciara. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
The lack of traffic has been a delight. Pontypridd to Swansea, and back again 2 hours later on Sunday was notable for a lack of ditherers on the roads. Yes, the slab sided nature of the Yeti is susceptible to cross winds, but being generally well planted meant a stress free drive. Cross climate+ can shift a lot of water

·
Super Moderator
4,294 Posts
Had to pick up daughter from Manchester airport around lunch time yesterday as though flights were to schedule there were no trains. Drove there through a sleet storm part of the way on the M6. When we got home everywhere was white so there must have been a band of snow just north of Flintstone's journey line.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The post above was made at around 0915, strangely it did not appear and was still showing as a "draft" at 1340?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Still very windy today, with a strong WSW gale. Saltburn Pier was so cold in the offshore wind that we walked to the end and straight back to warm up in the amusement arcade. (Love the sliders, but as I said to my wife, it would save time if you just gave the owner £5 on entry). No exciting waves owing to the wind direction either. The K was very stable and I didn't notice any buffeting.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The post above was made at around 0915, strangely it did not appear and was still showing as a "draft" at 1340?
When that happens to me, or similar with outgoing emails, etc. It’s usually a dodgy or intermittent inter web connection that is the cause. So stuff gets stuck in limbo (or Outbox). Till the connection wakes up and/or reconnects. Then your message gets fired off, possibly several hours after it had disappeared from your view.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of our regulars is conspicuous by his absence, I wonder if he is getting blown around in the Hebrides.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Drove from North Yorkshire (starting 10 miles from Pateley Bridge that was mentioned on the TV). Down to Telford, Shropshire. Via A1(M), M18, M1, A38, A5, M54. Between 15:00 and 18:30 (with a short coffee stop). No problems at all. Plenty of water on the ground and even more in the rivers. A whole sky full in fact. Roads all good. A very noticeable absence of middle lane Hoggers. Pretty easy trip in fact. Compared to average for the same journey.

Snow in Telford today :)

London by Avanti tomorrow. Will see if the trains have got themselves sorted?

Used to know a girl called Ciara. :)
More of the same this weekend. Last week a huge skeleton was washed up on a Scottish beach following Ciara,...hmmmm

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Getting much trade Derek?

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Very quiet so far, just a fallen tree near the Vine (National Trust) blocking the road, and a car recovery in Basingstoke. Today I have 35 Responders on standby, three of whom are licensed chainsaw operators and one who runs a business that has tractors, JCB's and four wheel drive lorries.

The possible hot spot is Southampton, the council are on standby for floods. We recently started training for assisting resilience staff in flooded areas and the use of throw-bags etc. The road at the side of our house was flooded this morning due to the council not clearing fallen leaves which have blocked the drains, all gone now though.

We went to Wadesdon on Wednesday and lots of flooded fields around there. Someone else on call from tomorrow, they might get busy when the run off gets further down the line. I think it would have been much busier had the trees been in leaf as the ground is very wet and slippery around the roots.

A bit different to last February when I was on call during the snow, the phone never stopped. The day started at 0700 and ended at 2330 with me going to bed with a mobile phone and a clipboard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For the Hood - reference throw bags.

There was a case of a failure of a particular make of throw bag ( Riber) a couple of years ago. The manufacturer had been rather naughty and when there was not enough rope left on the reel during manufacture they just heat melted the ends of the rope together to make it continuous. Rather naughty and not very strong.

if you want more information on this, google MAIB (marine accident investigation branch) and search “throw bags”. This will appear at the top of the search.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
There was a warning on the 4x4 Response UK site about those throw bags.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts