Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the drivers footwell of my 2017 Yeti, anyone know where it’s from please?

(I know the round thing is a coin :) )

Rectangle Font Jewellery Circle Metal

Rectangle Font Jewellery Circle Coin

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
The bronze and silver thing isn't "round" - it's 12-sided, according to the Royal Mint anyway? :ROFLMAO:

The black, plastic, trapezoidal, cover, clip thingy - is from the inside face of the outer, shiny black A-pillar trim piece. The part that runs up alongside the windscreen on the outer side. If you open the door, then look along the (near) vertical edge of the trim panel, the face that is hidden when the door is closed - you'll see where it has come from. It's the cover for one of the screws that hold the trim panel in place. There should be three of them on each side. Unless you've lost some more along the way?

It should just push back into place? Unless one of its clips has broken with age and brittleness? In which case either blue tack, or even better a narrow strip of black duct tape ("Duck Tape" if you're American, "Gaffer Tape" in more traditional English, or even "Gorilla Tape" in the shops) - should hold it in place for future, and remain hidden to all but those who know it's there!

Hope that helps?

Reactions: Robjon and Ruari

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flintstone, good detective skills :)

I wonder if it was removed and never refitted when I had a new windscreen fitted recently? Or maybe it's got caught somehow. Either way I'll get it refitted (sometime in the next five years maybe :) )

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
I wonder if it was removed and never refitted when I had a new windscreen fitted recently? Or maybe it's got caught somehow. Either way I'll get it refitted (sometime in the next five years maybe :) )
It's not been refitted or fallen off because one of the clips is broken, you may be able to stick it back with some Blu-Tack.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I wonder if it was removed and never refitted when I had a new windscreen fitted recently?
Highly likely in that case! When the fitter flipped off the clip to get at the trim panel retaining screws, the clip pinged off into the footwell and the fitter wasn't able to locate it immediately? Perhaps?

I recognised it immediately from around 3-4 years ago, when I had cause to replace the driver's side outer trim panel with a new item, after its lower 1/3 got ripped off in a particular automatic car wash, at a Morrisons petrol station. Never used that car wash again, so never had the problem again. Not even in other car washes with different flails on the rotating "brushes".

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
Broken
Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Font Metal

• Sad
Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Yup! Just been out to check the same clips on my "new" Yeti. There should indeed be tabs on both the short ends of the clip. The recommendation for either blu-tack or a strip of black gorilla tape to hold the fallen-off clip/screw cover in place, may well come in handy then?

Not Big Stevie's problem, but.... Speaking of gorillas - the close inspection of the A-pillar trims in this area has revealed the left trim has a huge crack in the area surrounding one of these fixing points and smaller crack near one of the lower points. And yes, like Stevie's, it had received a new (heated) windscreen not long before I bought it. Looks extremely like the gorilla who replaced the screen just tried to prise up the trim off the screen, before discovering you need to pop out these covers, then unscrew the trim before working on the screen. They hadn't re-fitted the roof gutter inserts properly either, but I spotted those and got them to fix before taking receipt of the car. (I now suspect they've simply super-glued them into the roof?). I should have checked these trims at the same time!

Having already had a two-hour run-in with the dealer (a franchise of a Japanese manufacturer, not a Skoda dealer) over the Chinese widow-maker tyres they fitted to the car to pass its pre-sale MOT. Then subsequently discovered they had not used VW 507 spec oil at the pre-sale service either, but some cheaper high-SAPS oil instead. I changed the oil myself last week, after just 1500 miles. Using Castrol Edge Professional, so I could have more confidence what was in the sump. I'm hence rather reluctant to take it back to the same gorillas for the pillar trim to be replaced? Just as badly? I might just spend a further £40 for a new trim and fit it myself? Again - for the confidence it would be done correctly. A further prolonged argument with the dealer over when or who did the damage would not be good for my health I suspect? Car dealers eh? I'm thinking of re-naming them "Arthur Daley Motors"?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts