Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question I asked when considering a Yeti.

Here is my 29inch wheeled enduro mountain bike in the back.

With the front wheel removed and passenger seat moved forward it fits nicely. Easy enough to get in and out.

It’s ratcheted down to the tie down points in the back with no additional rails or bike carrier accessories.

For short trips I’ll probably still go with a roof mounted rack but use internal carriage for longer trips, on my VW UP I loose about 15-20 MPG with the bike on the roof.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Why not just remove the front wheel like you have done and lay it flat forks faced forwards and handlebars will drop down in foot well, no need to move passenger seat forward, i can do that with the grandsons "med" size frame Giant adult bike easily with plenty of room, and can fit it flat with wheel on but a bit of a fiddle by yourself?

Also i carry 3 bikes on top for 60 miles and only loose 10mpg max on the Yeti

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Like Dutchman, I put bikes (plural) in the back of the Yeti, front wheels removed, with forks forward. Leaving the middle rear seat in place with bike frames either side, securely strapped to that. You can also bungee cord the handle bars or headstock to the front seat head restraint support very quickly and easily. That’s all WITH the Yeti’s spare wheel kit still in place. No need to move the front seat at all with that arrangement. So two people can also travel comfortably.

I’ve even had three bikes and three adults in the car on a couple of occasions, with that arrangement. But that was slightly more of a squeeze I admit. And the person occupying the centre rear either had to climb in through the front, or sit in first then have the bikes placed in around them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like Dutchman and Flintstone, I used the bike forward with front wheel/ rear seat removed on my Roomster, yet to try with the Yeti, but sounds like I'd have the same result. Keeping the middle seat in and up is useful to keep them upright.

I am slightly more concerned with keeping the interior in good condition than I did with the Roomster and have been considering a rear mount (already have a towbar/ electrical hookup) but the price puts me off a little.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you only want to carry up to two bikes, take a look at the Thule 970 Express. Clamps onto the towball and fits in seconds. I bought one from Clas Ohlson a while back and it was only fifty-ish pounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts