Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined your Yeti club and would like some info on purchase of a new YETI ....................I have made the fateful decision to buy a yeti and think a 170 4x4 would suit me and the memsaab just fine.
I have decided - BOO HISS to wait for a new facelift model! (seems most prefer the current look)
I am 6' 3'' and my wife is 5' 4'' is it suitable for this difference in size?
What "extras" are really essentials?
Will use Yeti for trips to Lake district and local running about. + dog must approve of the car!
Any ideas please ..........

Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
267 Posts
Contrary to what some folk say size doe's not matter.I also stand a bit on the long side and have no probs at all.I dont even have the seat all the way back.I reckon it'll be fine for 6ft 5 plus so you got no worries.As for the wife,well,again Yeti is not much higher than many a saloon to get into although she might need the seat in it's lowest position for ease of entry.As for engine size that really is a personal thing.With the 170 4x4 you will want for nothing,I only have a 110 and it's brilliant,never felt the need for more in 22,000 klms although i have just got myself a chip to up him to 140 but only cos I can,really dont need it.As for extras,from what I read it seem's the heated front screen is a good bit o kit for the UK but some more experienced member's will surely guide you through that one.Just buy him and enjoy,it really will make you smile.As for the face-lift,if you like it you like it.I personally reckon you'll be better off getting a deal on the older model and making other folk smile along with you and spend the cash you save on gas.As for the dog,we have two shepherds and a little terrier,all fit with no probs allthough a boot liner is a good idea.Well,that's my contribution so I hope you go for it and I know you will enjoy it whatever model you decide on.Best of luck.Edited by: Suzuki

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
If you are both going to drive electric seats could be worthwhile. The seats pair with each key, so if you both have a key each and adjust the seat to suit you, whenever one of you "zaps" the car, the seat will automatically adjust for you so no messing about moving the seats when you change over.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES SUZUKI AND THE HOOD.Glad that you think differing heights for SOH & me will not be a problem.
I have test driven a Yeti and as they had a 170 as well as a 140 BHP I drove both. Like Suzuki i do not need the extra power but wow it was fun to drive and I might well be hooked now!
I have been looking at some of the extras that would be good to have but find that some I want are not available on the spec I can afford - namely se plus. Like The Hoods suggestion of the memory seats - which sound great.
Dog is only a Cairn terrier so size (as you say!) is not a problem for her!
The boot liner sounds great but does it fit if I have the space saver option, as I am sure I will?
NOW - I have to admit that although I will not get a Yeti until about March, as I have to wait for prices specs etc then the delivery wait, I am already getting rediculously excited about it all!
I have noted previous posts and have contacted 3 internet sites and so far -Carfile has been the most responsive.
I have been helped by this site and really like the helpful, friendly nature of the site.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
Not sure which sites you have tried, mine came from Skodastore.com which is Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield.
Then there is happynewcar and orangewheels

The electric seats were£585 extra, they may become available nearer the time,when I ordered my Yeti Rainworth also discounted the extra's

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Jooks, I am glad you liked the 170, I chose one but did not try 140; lots of people like 140's and also get good fuel consumption from what Hood says.
Perhaps expensive but if you drive back roads in the dark the Xenon's are good (the Audi versions are ~ £1400). Super clear and sharp edged light, and the steering mechanism a revalation as it seeks out the road. Also heated windscreen, is much recommended on this site if you park outside, can't comment on effectiveness myself yet! Edited by: Ferdie

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hood, I tried Car file and their response was immediate & helpful, Skodastore has not even acknowledged my email of a week ago! Also acknowledgement of receipt of email but no reply from Rainworths.
Do you have any experience of Happy newcar & Orangewheels?
I don't want to deal 100% with a broker just for the intro, figure that there is less chance of a dealer going bust?
My list of goodies that I am mentally adding to my wish list for the Yeti is expanding alarminly!I am convincing myself that the f/l model will get it all standard - & of course it won't.
YesI have done the maths & with a few extra months to get some cash together we (that really means I)have decided that if I am this excited about a Yeti just thinking about it, I/we just have to get one!
In a previous life I worked for various car manufacturers, so thought that I was past car excitement!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I got mine via the What Car? Target Price team. It was totally effortless. They took my details and called me back with a price that none of my local dealers or Skodastore could get anywhere near (despite my best haggling and walking out)! I was put in contact with a dealer in Coventry (Listers) who phoned me directly and took a deposit. It all went like clock work and I saved over £1000 on the limited edition Urban.

I would go through them again without hesitation.

I think Codhead also got his Urban from Listers in Coventry via Orange Wheels so you might like to ask him if you decide to go through them...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Discosteve very helpful.It will be interesting to see how generous dealers will be with the F/L model.
If it means waiting cos discount is too mean I will do, hate getting ripped off!

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
I'm surprised Skodastore have not replied it was just a couple of days when I enquired. I have just been having a look at Rainworth's website and Jeremy Taylor the sales manager is not shown anymore. I suppose the email might have gone astray but Jeremy was very much the driving force at Rainworth when I dealt with them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off thanks for all the help & advice so far, I've never joined a forum before and find you folk a really friendly bunch. + great to hear from Yeti keepers from around the globe.I am still mad keen on a YETI and would love to be one of the first club members to fly the F/L yeti flag. (although I won't dare try to convert you!)
Seems that specs and prices will not be available 'till October, so can't negotiate/order before that.
Have registered with SUK so that they can give me the nod as soon as the order books open.
Order times seem to vary quite a bit for Yeti owners from about 3.5 to 6 months, seems ages to me.
Have been away to Cumbria & wondered if it was a club member who parked near me in Windermere Marina in a pristine White monster? Hence my change of colour choice to White!
Still not heard back from Skodastore or Rainworths. A shame as I know the Hood had a good experience with them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If it was me buying now, I think that I would go for the face lift version. You'd be amazed at how outdated the current model will look in 3 years time, however great we all agree it looks now! Skoda are clearly following VW with what I called a creased look where the panels are no longer smooth but has heavy creases in them - just take a look at the new Golf.

And as for where to buy your new Yeti, well I certainly wouldn't entertain givingSkodastore or Rainworths your hard earned cash if they don't even have the decency to contact you. There are lots of other dealers and broker to use who I'm sure will happily help you out...

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts
I am on Rainworth's mailing list and have copied an extract from their latest coms below. It says Jeremy is still there, he is the driving force behind the dealership. You could try calling him on the number shown and tell him what you are after.
You could even see if he remembers me collecting my car, tell him they were recommended by the Yeti customer who's keys got locked in the boot, if he start laughing hysterically he remembers.

Attention All Cyclists!!
Skoda UK have given us the opportunity for a limited number of our customers to have a cycle ride out with the Skoda team sponsored, Rapha Condor JLT professional road cycling team. http://www.raphacondor.cc/home

There are only 10 places in total available for this unique event and are available on a ˜First Come- First Served Basis'

If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity ( bearing in mind the levels of ability required- ie. 35
miles with professional cyclists ), please contact Mr Jeremy Taylor, Sales Manager. RainworthSkoda, Sheffield on [email protected] call direct on01623 623400BEFORE 20th September.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Disco, Let's just hope that after all the waiting my SOH does not go for the "Creased Look" as well!I have decided to leave dealers alone now until I have all list prices & specs, then I hope to be in a stronger position to possibly have a deal & finally get the monster ordered.
Hood, thanks as always good info. (make note, Imust generously lubricate boot lock!)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just been on the blower to SUK as I can't wait to order my YETI (F/L model - must be the rebel in me!) and they say no-go for at least 2-3 more weeks!Hearing all you lucky new owners discussing taking delivery is making it worse!
I am sending my other half mad with constant ideas/news/specs for YETIs. Is there YETI medication for this syndrome? Ha Ha.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Harking back to your original question regarding seat adjustment. I am 6' 6" and my better half 5' 4". Seat is fully back for me and almost fully forward for the boss, plus height, seat back angle lumbar fiddling, so electric memory seats may well be worth the money if you are both to use it.Whatever you opt for I'm sure you will love it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks igg, I am 6'3'' & my SOH is 5'4'' so difference is smaller than you but not by much.Although I have another car, an SLK, I think that I will be driving the YETI a lot more than my wife's current SEAT Altea. (although its been a great car) so the momory seats do sound a great idea.
I am also juggling other options Vs budget as well.

My other half has now decided that White has to be the colour & I'm not against that, so me thinks that if that'snon-met paint it frees up 500 quid allocated for paint .....?
It's amazing how I am able to justify stuff the car the longer I wait !

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I have ordered my new baby on 10.10.13 - spec as per my signature below - it's high time that I thanked all of those who gave their input and friendly encouragement to me.
+ Great to hear from our friends all around the world and seen some amazing pics.
Even though I have always wanted the F/L Yeti and not the much loved "Classic" (thanks Hood) I have not been discouraged.
I took Hood's advice and finally ordered from Carfile - Jonathan Lawless was very helpful & came up with a very fair/good price. (Via Rainworths in Mansfield)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would certainly op for the steel spare wheel. Whilst you loose a few inches in boot depth what is the point of an aerosol when you have hit debris and split the sidewall!!
If you are considering towbar Skoda dealer will fit Westfalia which do not do a flange detachable to enable bike rack, jaws, etc. I had Skoda dealer fit the full electrics to maintain warranty and Witter towbar that was infact cheaper than the Westfalia.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts