Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 years with a Yeti, 2.0d 4WD SE, my lease ran out and following a severe leap in costs I changed to a Volvo V60. After 5 months I thought it might be interesting to note what things I miss about not having a Yeti and what Skoda could pinch from Volvo to improve the car.

Plus points:

The compact nature of the Yeti made it so easy to manoeuvre whether in town or on country lanes. I really miss that aspect.

The higher seat position, the clear view etc. Very good.

The sure footedness of the Haldex system, particularly now the snow and ice has come. I have winter tyres on my Volvo but somehow 4wd seems more comforting.

They are different. I know there are more around now, particularly up in Northumberland, but you can still pick one out in a car park.

It was just a really easy car to drive and to live with

Things to pinch:

Please take the seats from a Volvo. They really are comfortable and supportive and so much better than the Skoda ones.

The fold down mechanism of the back seats is wonderfully easy and effective. I really did not like the Yeti system which was clumsy and heavy. It seemed like a last minute bodge.

The heaters work quicker in my Volvo! Clears the ice quicker and gets me warmer earlier, although not as quick as the heated windscreen which was beginning to be available on some Yeti's as as option.

That's all really. I am not going to compare other aspects eg ride, boot space etc as they are different cars and so if I was doing that then I really should be looking at a Superb estate against the V60. I have tried to keep this on comparable issues.

All in all, I like my Volvo but I would happily, and may well, get another Yeti again when this lease runs out in 19 months. I still think they are cracking cars.

·
Administrator
14,219 Posts
Nice to from you keep in touch, you could make your signature your wish list for your next car but would have to go for Shark Blue.

I have had two volvo's and they were forever going wrong, plus my father-in-law's boiled the battery at less than a month old. Maybe now they are owned by Ford they have improved.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point on the signature. Funny what you say about Volvo and Ford. The older Volvo people on the forum spit feathers about Ford and long for the old pre-Ford days. Newer people, like myself, don't care and take the cars as they are. Without Ford I suspect Volvo could have gone the way of Saab so although it did not work out in the end I suspect some of Ford's mass production methods have helped Volvo keep solvent.

This is my second Volvo and I have never had a problem but no make is immune to issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can be wrong, but I think VOLVO is bought (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/02/geelyvolvo-deal-completed_n_666996.html)bij the Chinese GEELY group now
. Sic pereat gloria mundi. I live near the GHENT (B)VOLVO plant and it's amazing how much little yellow people run (and drive) around there these days. Of course, VOLVO being a neighbour to the HONDA European distribution center, can be part of the explanation
. Never was skilled enough to see the difference between these yellow fellows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right, they are owned by the Chinese company Geely but by all accounts the Chinese are not interfering in a detrimental way. Since they were bought they have brought out the S60, V60 and V40, all very good cars with no sign of cost cutting. Not many car mfrs can stand alone now, most need a partner or to share parts, engines, floor plans etc. It is what you do with them that makes the difference.

Having a Chinese link is no bad thing for sales as China is a huge market. Volvo can ship over the big XC60's and XC90's which seem to be very popular in China and this helps to keep the company afloat for the more European style, smaller, models. It could end in tears but so far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts