Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noooooooo! not another tyre question 馃槺

I have searched and gone through about the first half a dozen of nearly 500 pages but without finding an answer so thought I'd take a shortcut, ask the question, and take the dog for a walk whilst awaiting abuse helpful replies.

My recently acquired 2014 1.2tsi (Active?) FL has rather cheap tyres fitted, 3 Marshall and 1 Michelin, of varying ages and tread depth, so new tyres will be on the cards. Ride is a bit on the harsh side too but that could well be the Yeti.

Anyway, the question is about the size of the tyres not the brand etc,

The petrol flap states 205/55 R16 and 215/60 R16, tyres on the car are the former (205's). so...

1. Does this mean that either size tyre will fit on my wheel rim?
2. Are the options there because the car may come with different rims choice meaning different sizes?
3. Is this particular rim designed for one size tyre?
4. Do the two tyre profile choices basically offer the same size diameter therefore interchangeable? Can I have one size on one axle and the other on the other?

So in short what size tyres should be on my rims? and if the answer is either, is there a preference/ reason to choose one over the other?

cheers

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Automotive tire Font Material property Synthetic rubber Monochrome photography

Registered
I think early Yetis had 215x60 tyres and later Skoda changed to 205x55,they may also have changed the gearing,as there is 5% rolling circumference difference.Higher spec models were given 225x50-17 tyres All types have 7J wheels.Worth noting that 205x55 tyres are considerably cheaper than others.

Registered
Just checked on a couple of sites and they quote the circumference as having 0% difference.
The recommended rim size in both cases is 6.5J for 16鈥 wheels. Can鈥榯 say if that is what is fitted though. I have 7Js on mine (225x50x R17)

Registered
You can compare tyre size options here: Tire Size Comparison

Broadly speaking the lower the profile the harsher the ride.
Yes the tyre comparison calculator shows,as I said 5.2% difference in circumference in the 2 16鈥 options.EarlyYetis had the 7J wheels,possibly later 16鈥 were changed to 6.5J,and gearing altered to suit?

Registered
Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

Registered
That can't be right, can it, Trilux?
It says the sidewall is 12.8% taller, so how can the circumference be the same?

Registered
It says the sidewall is 12.8% taller, so how can the circumference be the same?
The calculation is showing the circumference of just the wheels (both 16鈥) Add the tyres and a 5% difference appears!

Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
I cannot work out having 2 wheels the same size but of the 2 tyres one has a greater width and greater sidewall being the same diameter/circumference.

Registered
I have the answer to the original question, I think.

All Yetis on 16" wheels run 215 60 16 tyres, unless it has a 1.6 diesel engine (in which case it runs 205 55 16 tyres).

So the OP's 1.2TSI should be wearing 215 60 16.
Just because other sizes appear on the sticker, it does not mean they can be fitted. It just means they put the same sticker on all Yetis.

Edit: our 2012 VW Caddy has a 1.6 diesel, and it also has 205 55 16 tyres.
I suspect this size has the standard tyre circumference for the final drive ratio used on the 1.6TDI.

Registered
The 1.6 diesel green line was made with a 25 mm less ground clearance,so the tyres must have made part of this difference! The OP has a 1.2 TSI Active,so 215x60 would probably be correct.

Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
I have the answer to the original question, I think.

All Yetis on 16" wheels run 215 60 16 tyres, unless it has a 1.6 diesel engine (in which case it runs 205 55 16 tyres).

So the OP's 1.4TSI should be wearing 215 60 16.
Just because other sizes appear on the sticker, it does not mean they can be fitted. It just means they put the same sticker on all Yetis.
That is correct although 205/55x16 was a winter size option on most models

Registered
Just the 16" rim has circumference of 50.2" this would certainly give a harsh ride. 馃ぃ

Reactions: Flintstone

Registered
I stand corrected! As a whingeing excuse, I have to say that I didn鈥檛 enter the tyre sizes in the boxes. I choose the sizes from a drop down box and they were entered automatically. As it came up with a plausible result, I didn鈥檛 look any closer.

Well spotted Cubes!

Reactions: Cubes

Registered
As a whingeing excuse, I have to say that I didn鈥檛 enter the tyre sizes in the boxes. I choose the sizes a drop down box and they were entered automatically.
Done over by poxy software engineers!!

Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks gents, handy tool that Topgun (y)

Knowing that sticker in the boot was something to do with the factory spec of the car, I set about investigating what the numbers might actually be referring to. So I found a pdf online of all VAG codes and went about deciphering them.
and guess what?
One of the codes H0R refers to tyre size, in my case = Tires 205/55 R16 91H low rolling resistance Yay! result!, but then the only other code relating to wheels was 1NL = Trims for alloy wheels whatever that means? possibly the bolt caps??.

But I guess I shall accept the existing tyre size as the correct one - 205/55R16.

I also discovered a load of random things, some useful to know including ...

QI6 = Service indicator 30 000 km or 2 years ( variable )
8GU = Alternator 140 A
J1L = Battery 280 A (60 Ah)
1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)

Font Material property Paper Wood Tree

Registered
Well that's a surprise (to me at least)!
The sales brochures from 2014 don't offer that tyre size either as standard or a factory-fit option on a 1.2TSI.
So maybe a dealer-fit option, special order, or a "fleet special" spec?

The 215/60 tyres tend to be more expensive, so you've had a bit of a result there financially.

Those three-digit codes are called "PR codes", and there are usually many more of them than can be printed on a small label.
If you have a service book, there may be a more comprehensive list of codes on a sticker inside the front cover, or you could get a full list from Skoda UK.

Registered
There's also this site VW Group Option Codes Decoder (igorweb.org) for decoding PR codes. But it offers no further insight on 1NL.

You'll also find PR codes in the parts lists where items differ according to what was fitted in the factory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts