Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Yet, 1.2 TD, only Km37,000, has developed whirring/whining sound coming from front end.SAme in anll gears, inc neutral. Tyres, wheels, joints, semi-axles all checked: no clues. Now into dealers for what will likely be an expensive job dismantling gearbox or some such. Any clues, anyone ?

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm it's a 1.2TSi that you have? Petrol not diesel.

Does the sound change with increased engine revs? Does the sound increase with road speed? Air conditioning on or off? Any reason why you suspect the gearbox and is it manual or DSG?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Just to add to SnowGood's questions, can you confirm the sound still there with the gearbox in neutral and vehicle stationary? Your description of the symptoms imply this is the case and if so, would tend to rule out problems with the gearbox and drive train.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Could be an ancillary belt or air-con compressor or alternator etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Does the sound change with increased engine revs? Does the sound increase with road speed? Air conditioning on or off? Any reason why you suspect the gearbox and is it manual or DSG?
Yes, it's petrol.
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, Turbo-petro, fairly unusual type of engine. Thirsty.
Sound does increase with road-speed. A/C doesn't come into it. MAnual shift. Gearbox suspected because everything else ruled out. I wonder if gearbox oil not renewed when car last serviced ? Or does an engine oil change include gearbox ?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Sound does increase with road-speed.
But does it increase and decrease with engine speed?
Gearbox oil is not changed it's filled for life unless it has a leak, I take it the oil level in gearbox has been checked?

Turbo-petro, fairly unusual type of engine. Thirsty.
It's a VERY common engine in the UK, not as frugal as a diesel but certainly not thirsty considering the weight and aerodynamics of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But does it increase and decrease with engine speed?
Gearbox oil is not changed it's filled for life unless it has a leak, I take it the oil level in gearbox has been checked?

It's a VERY common engine in the UK, not as frugal as a diesel but certainly not thirsty considering the weight and aerodynamics of the car.
Noise only increases and decreases with road speed. That makes me think problem is NOT in gearbox. But I'm getting car back tomorrow, and I understand gearbox was dismantled and found to be defective in some way, bits replaced. Will ask about oil. As predicted, expensive job, €1000+VAT. On consumption, it IS a heavy car and I can only get 40 mpg if I drive it as if it were a pony cart. Wife doesn't care and I don't want to think how much petrol she burns. But it's a lovely car in every other way, and I do not want to hand it in...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Noise only increases and decreases with road speed. That makes me think problem is NOT in gearbox.
Everything before the gearbox rotates at a speed proportional to engine speed.
Everything after the gearbox rotates at a speed proportional to road speed.

The gearbox is the one assembly in the whole drivetrain in which some components depend on engine speed, and some depend on road speed.

So the problem could well be in the gearbox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything before the gearbox rotates at a speed proportional to engine speed.
Everything after the gearbox rotates at a speed proportional to road speed.

The gearbox is the one assembly in the whole drivetrain in which some components depend on engine speed, and some depend on road speed.

So the problem could well be in the gearbox.
Thanks for this. it's helpful. I'll let you know the outcome. For sure, this problem should never have arisen in a car with only KM37,000 on the clock (in 7 and a half years). One reason I chose the Yet was that in 2013 it was top of the reliability chart in WHich ? for its category..

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,237 Posts
For sure, this problem should never have arisen in a car with only KM37,000 on the clock (in 7 and a half years). One reason I chose the Yet was that in 2013 it was top of the reliability chart in WHich ? for its category..
37,000 Km in 7.5 years is under 5000 Km per year on average, or roughly 3000 miles/yr. Quite likely in light of lockdowns that the bulk of those Km/miles were put on earlier in its life. Potentially been much of the last 18-months idle? Whatever the problem turns out to be, I'd hazard a guess that it is related to "not enough miles to keep it healthy"?

To my knowledge at least, Yetis still enjoy good reliability, age for age, compared to its peers. What evidence is there that the Which? survey from 2013 no longer holds true? Compared to other cars of a similar age?

Reactions: The Hood

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
In addition to the above, I am surprised we have not heard of tyre failures as leaving a car parked in the same position for a long time causes flat spots. Maybe that is why there has been a rash of tyres with cracks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
37,000 Km in 7.5 years is under 5000 Km per year on average, or roughly 3000 miles/yr. Quite likely in light of lockdowns that the bulk of those Km/miles were put on earlier in its life. Potentially been much of the last 18-months idle? Whatever the problem turns out to be, I'd hazard a guess that it is related to "not enough miles to keep it healthy"?

To my knowledge at least, Yetis still enjoy good reliability, age for age, compared to its peers. What evidence is there that the Which? survey from 2013 no longer holds true? Compared to other cars of a similar age?

Thanks for this. No the car has not been idle, but the journeys almost all local, or at best regional. Unfortunately I couldn't pick car up after repair, and my wife was treated abominably by most typical kind of Italian male when she went to get it...even though this was where we bought the car new, and took it for servicing repairs etc ever since.So I'll never know what problem was. Let's just hope it never recurs. It's perfect car for us, esp as you can take the back seats completely, a rare feature. Best wishes

DAvid Ellwood

1 - 12 of 12 Posts