Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my point of view, I did not want a full on 4X4, did all of that e.g Gunbarrel Hwy, Canning Stock Route, Birdsville etc, (Australian heavy weight outbacktracks)back in the 70s and thoroughly enjoyed it, butnow want something to plod along a few tracks here and there, as well as chew up the km / miles on the bitumen.

Was I spoilt for choice? Sure was, just like most of us today - Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Subaru, Kia and more. But I've always liked something a little different to the crowd and the Yeti sure has that little quirky difference thatappealed to me. I like the individual style - Skoda is not afraid to be different and does not need to just follow the crowd.Plus, I did not want a big vehicle, becauseSWMBO will be driving it too during long tripsand shedoes not enjoy driving a big machine, besides most of the time there is only the two of us and we have no desire to tow anything.

I think the Yeti is one of the best, if not the best handling SUV available today. When comparing price for quality / finish, the Yeti must appeal tojust about everyone.

SWMBO likes the fact that both front seats are height adjustable, which is not available ona number of other SUVs.

The engine size / powerto weight ratio is just about spot on, most of the time you only need to be doing around 2000 rpm, which dispells the need for a bigger engine.I do need to admit that I have not driven the 1.2, which many on this site say suits them just right and not just to potter down todo the weekly shopping, therforeI wll notcomment on that engine size. Coupled with a well balanced turbo, mineaccelerates swiftly enough for me, a bit quicker than my 1955Austin A50 and car number two - a 1966 Ford Cortina and boy oh boy, did I think that I had stepped up when I bought that three year old Ford Cortina.

My final point is that like most of us, I am not getting any younger and am looking forward to retiring this year,which caused me to seriously consider anSUV the seating position andthe ease of getting in and out, in preference to a sedan.

But, back to the Yeti. What were the deciding factors that swayed your decision to buy a Yeti?

Happy trails,

Banjobach.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Apart from the obvious, price v build quality v options, for us it was the shape (not lumpy like the Duster or the Juke et al) and the fact that it had instant character - only had ours a few days but I keep taking a sneaky admiring peek at it parked in the drive, something I would not be doing with a Golf 7 for example. The dealer experience finally sealed it for us, we were treated in the same way I was when I bought my Porsche a few years back, (again, not like when we looked at a Golf!).

Finally, the bonus is how it drives - which was not a purchasing decision, we only had a half hour test drive and you only get a first impression with that - you get the full picture after a few days behind the wheel. For me the whole package is pretty much faultless (we have the 1.2 six speed manual) and long may it stay that way!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why we got a Sketi. top gear had something to do with and other makes and models were either not good enough or over priced. We did notice that where ever we parked people looked the car over and some even asked us about it. as to the performance our 4x4 2lt does everything we want and more. the turning circle makes you want to giggle as it does it in around ten feet. you have comfort economy power brilliant off roading all in a beautifully packaged car
One or two things to think about at Skoda are it needs some sort of rain channel to stop the seat getting wet on opening the door but we can put up with it and boot floor could do with a lesser step so we can put the scooter in. again we can get used to it. Adobedon Edited by: adobedon

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've owned Skodas now for 11 years. The first was a 4x4 Octavia estate which performed well in the snow. The only drawback was the fuel consumption, it averaged 27mpg over 91,000 miles. 4 years ago I part exchanged it for another Octavia. My wife also got a Fabia at the same time (unfortunately we didn't get a Buy One Get One Free deal). This timeI got a2wd diesel estate which was an excellent car but we then had 2 of the worst winters and didn't cope well with the hills we have around here in West Yorkshire.

Last year we decided that we needed at least one car with 4wd. Comparing the two 4x4 Octavias available and the Yeti, the Yeti in Elegance trim turned out to be the cheaper option. So far I haven't been disappointed. It has coped well in the snow and, being taller than the Octavia, is easier to get in and out of, an important consideration as my bones are not getting any younger.

Over the years the Skoda's have been the most complex, but the most reliable cars I've owned. I'd have no problems recommending them to anyone.

Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
I needed a vehicle to supplement my aged Fiat Scudo van,that has been my only means of transport for thelast 4 years.I am a semi-retired second hand book dealer and need to go to bookfairs and clear houses of books.

The vehicle had to :-

1----A fairly high and comfortable driving position.I have a back made of glass and knees made of jelly,so cannot get in and out of a low car.

2----Total space in the rear of 1600 ltrs minimum

3----Good fuel consumption - 40 mpg minimum

4----Build quality and reliability

5----An attractive dashboard

6----Strong internal trim.

7----4x4 - I go fishing which sometimes involves going down long unmade farm tracks.

Went through all the options - Discovery,Volkswagen,Hyundai &Kia etc and rejected them because they were too large,electric handbrake,flimsy internal trim,unattractive dash,uncormortable seating positionor high fuel consumption.

So ended up with a 2nd hand 2009 140 Elegance 4x4 with 38k on the clock.Very happy with it,any excuse to go for a drive.Good heater,warm air appears within 3 or 4 miles and no rattles,comfortable seats,and very quiet.Only complaint is the drivers window is not cleared of rain when it is wound down.

Fuel consumption - averages 44mpg with up to 48 mpg on a 240 mile trip from London.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I was medically retired last year and we needed a car that would see me out. I was thinking of an Octavia sedan or wagon, or possibly a base model Superb, but the dealer recommended a Yeti. I also had to consider the possibility that I may need a wheelchair or walking aid in the future so choosing a vehicle with a big and easy loading boot space was a priority. It also had to have pretty good access so the wide opening doors were a plus. Getting in and out is a lot better than many other vehicles including the MY12 Skoda Superb!!!
Reliability and build quality were also major factors and all the research I did indicated that the Skoda line of vehicles was up there with the best, and better than most. After owning the vehicle for a few months I could only agree with that.
While my heart said Diesel 4WD, my missus wanted a petrol model so ended up with a 1.2 TSi. The price difference at the time between the two was $14,000 driveaway, so the 1.2 was a no-brainer choice. As a diesel lover, I am totally happy with buying the 1.2 TSi petrol model. I also wanted the 2nd generation 7 speed DSG, and not the 1st gen 6 speed wet clutch type as I had plans for some tweaking that couldn't be done on the wet clutch DSG. We test drove a 1.2 and that sealed the deal for us.
Within reason, ie staying on formed roads and tracks, I would have no hesitation in driving this vehicle to anywhere, even around Australia. The 1.2 TSi is not a 4WD so it shouldn't be treated like one. Horses for courses and all that. The engine does lack when considered alongside the other models, but certainly puts on a good show when needed.
We are very happy with our purchase and I do not hesitate in recommending the Skoda brand to anyone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Banjobach said:
From my point of view, I did not want a full on 4X4, did all of that e.g Gunbarrel Hwy, Canning Stock Route, Birdsville etc, (Australian heavy weight outback tracks)  back in the 70s and thoroughly enjoyed it, but now want something to plod along a few tracks here and there, as well as chew up the km / miles on the bitumen.

Was I spoilt for choice? Sure was, just like most of us today - Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Subaru, Kia and more. But I've always liked something a little different to the crowd and the Yeti sure has that little quirky difference that appealed to me. I like the individual style - Skoda is not afraid to be different and does not need to just follow the crowd. Plus, I did not want a big vehicle, because SWMBO will be driving it too during long trips and she does not enjoy driving a big machine, besides most of the time there is only the two of us and we have no desire to tow anything.

I think the Yeti is one of the best, if not the best handling SUV available today. When comparing price for quality / finish, the Yeti must appeal to just about everyone.

SWMBO likes the fact that both front seats are height adjustable, which is not available on a number of other SUVs.

The engine size / power to weight ratio is just about spot on, most of the time you only need to be doing around 2000 rpm, which dispells the need for a bigger engine. I do need to admit that I have not driven the 1.2, which many on this site say suits them just right and not just to potter down to do the weekly shopping, therfore I wll not comment on that engine size. Coupled with a well balanced turbo, mine accelerates swiftly enough for me, a bit quicker than my 1955 Austin A50 and car number two - a 1966 Ford Cortina and boy oh boy, did I think that I had stepped up when I bought that three year old Ford Cortina.

My final point is that like most of us, I am not getting any younger and am looking forward to retiring this year, which caused me to seriously consider an SUV the seating position and the ease of getting in and out, in preference to a sedan. 

But, back to the Yeti. What were the deciding factors that swayed your decision to buy a Yeti?

Happy trails,

Banjobach.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson seemed to like it, and whats more fitted in it comfortably, we are about the same height/build. my interest was aroused. Our 4x4 does tow our caravan with ease, even in mud. It's small enough to fit our side drive to our rear garage but big enough to be comfortable. The road tax man is not too upset by it, nor the insurance guy. It is a nice all round strong feeling, attractive package.My main niggle is that the side rubbing strips are no where near the outermost part of the door, and other than SWMBO , who knows better,I have to remind passengers to be careful not to hit the doors when opening them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top Gear stirred my interest when they first tested the Yeti and the look of it particularly grabbed my attention, but we had to wait some time until they turned up in Australia and then with a limited range (1.2 & diesel) with the 1.8 petrol added later. After considering all the others available here finally decided on the Yeti to replace a turbo GT Forester and have not regretted it, though early days at 2 months old.

Reasons for choice include great driving position, excellent roadholding, build quality and finish, general drive ability, included features and definitely quirkiness ! While I have had to unfortunately compromise on a smaller storage space the interior versatility is a plus. I don't like dark interiors (only choice here) and luckily was able to have a light grey leather interior fitted, which works well with the Candy White exterior. So far I have not been disappointed in the power from the 1.8 DSG combination. I like to really enjoy my car and felt that the Yeti would enable me to continue to do this, as it has. The main hesitation was the question of reliability, having owned a VW Passat and Golf in the last 10 years. Views on user forums such as this great site and overseas reports were most helpful when you are in a place where the Yeti is rare and with very limited local history.

Loving it and looking forward to years of enjoyable motoring!Edited by: Aussiejim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am big fan of the VW family of cars we have one polo two golfs and a passat estate in our family.When the time came to change my passat estate sport I had intended to buy the VW Tiguan until I found out that they had fitted the electronic handbrake to it.
The Passat never let me down in six years apart from the electronic handbrake which let me down twice first the switch failed then one of the rear brake motors blew which in turn blew the ecu which left me with a bill of the best part of £900 for the repair never again.
I cannot understand why VW fit such a complicate and expensive system to do a simple task.
I only hope that Skoda do not raid the VW parts bin for this piece of kit.
Which then led me to look at the Skoda Yeti and I was amazed at the build quaity and it ticked all the boxe's.
Then went for a test drive and what a amazing car to drive I was hooked it's a real driver's car.
Ordered a TDI 140 4X4 ELEGANCE IN CAPPUCCINO METALLIC with some bits and piece's the same day and saved about £2000 for Tiguan in the same spec.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could not agree more strongly.After having several heavy 4wd it was time to lighten the load.

Test drove several mid size soft suv's then drove the yeti for a day.

It had me at Skoda .We do long trips interstate some times with two or three passengers plus all there junk.

Everything is too 'easy ".......We have driven over many semi hash roads it handles it with ease and then some.

And still no rattles
Which make me a happy camper

Pug

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a previous Skoda owner (Fabia vrs) I firstly had confidence in the brand.

I needed something bigger and potentially being a clay pigeon shooter something that I could take down farm tracks and onto grass parking in the winter that wouldn't bash the sump. I have no need or desire to do green laning or offroad.

Although I never left the shotgun in the boot whilst it was with me the lack of boot size in the Fabia meant that the one seat had to be folded to accomodate the gun diagonally - not good as could only be covered with a blanket - so a larger boot was a must.

I looked seriously at the Juke (too small and boot definately not fit for purpose). Drove the Vauxhall Mokka and quite liked it but as with the Juke didnt like the shaped windows on the side and the poor rear window viability and boot space smaller than the Yeti.

The shape of the windows also ruled out the Kia / Hyundai etc.

OK so now we come to the Yeti. Excellent reports all over the web from individuals as well as the Car Mags / Online sites.

Looks wise - Agree with the comments earlier about how it looks - just looks right.

Engine: 2.0L 140ps 4X4 Decided that because of the high motorway driving that I do and in addition not wanting something that felt sluggish in comparison with the vrs and so the 140ps Yeti was the way to go. My 2006 vrs was rated at 9.3 (0-60) and my Yeti 0-62 is only a fraction slower.

Driving: Admittedly I shouldnt compare a sporty little hatch to a medium size 4X4 but the vrs was bouncy, noisy and lacked the comfort of my 4X4 armchair.

The fact that the Adventure has additional kit which I wanted - sat nav / blue tooth phone connection, DAB and steering controls.

Having driven a car with dual air con this was also a bonus when my wife is with me - typical woman block of ice and I dont like too much heat.

Looks wise: The Candy White / Black roof/ Black Wheels really looks right.

Overall: I found nothing at anything like the price point to compare! Well satisfied owner.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi have a friend who works for VW, supporting their product launches, so he gets to try out all of the VAG family of cars. He always said to me, if you want a VW, go for the Skoda equivalent.

To be honest, I've always had my eye on an Audi A3, but they are just way too expensive for me. When the Roomster first came out, the other half was quite taken with it although I did disagree with her! Then the Yeti came out and we both fell for it!

We were intelligent enough to see past the stigma of the Skoda badge but were not in a position to be able to afford one. Then I got a promotion at work which included a car allowance. This coincided perfectly with the release of the great value Urban edition - so that was that - we bought one. And we've never looked back...

Edited by: discosteve

·
Registered
71 Posts
My acquisition was by accident... My eldest daughter started to learn to drive so as a family we needed to reorganise our cars to enable us to afford the insurance on something for her.

My wife eyed up a Fabia as a replacement for her 2.0 C-Max and was impressed. I intended to change my SEAT LEON FR at some point but hadn't made up my mind when or what (I do a lot of miles for work so the KIA and Hyundai were on my list of possibles).

I'd of course seen the Top Gear special and thought that the Yeti might be worth considering too.

While I was sorting out the paperwork to purchase the Fabia, the sales man at Vindis in Cambridge saw me looking at the showroom model and asked what I thought. I said I was looking but with no immediate plans and then he played his trump card... "We've got an ex-demonstrator 2.0 TDI 110 Elegance (with all the options) just about to go on the forecourt. How about a test drive?"

So we finished the Fabia paperwork and took the Yeti for a spin. By the end of the test drive we were both sold (my wife was somewhat 'anti' "monster cards" but this seemed to fit the bill).

So having finished one lot of paperwork, we started the second and picked up both cars a few days later. Over 40K driven now and it puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

Nigel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts