Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy has a space saver wheel for sale 17inch
5 Stud which I need he bought it for his Qashqai anyone know if it will fit my Skoda yeti

·
Administrator
14,368 Posts
The Yeti does not take a space saver it has a 195/60/16 H rated tyre, when fitted you do not notice any difference although you are still restricted speed wise. The space saver "biscuits" are awful and not legally approved for a Yeti.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
5 Stud which I need he bought it for his Qashqai anyone know if it will fit my Skoda yeti
Almost certainly not. Several reasons:

1) Most ultra-narrow space saver wheels normally have a rather high sidewall, narrow width tyre fitted. For example, my BMW has a space saver spare that is on a 17” wheel with a 125/80 profile tyre. That gives it a 3mm difference from the 255/35 18” wheel and tyres normally in use. Therefore is acceptable for that car.

On its 17” wheel option, the Yeti had moderately low profile tyres (225/50) to give the same diameter and rolling circumference as it had on 16” wheels with the regular 215/60 tyre.
If I fitted my BMW’s 17” space saver to the Yeti, that would give a diameter that was 25mm greater than the regular 17” wheel and tyres. Way outside the acceptable limits and definitely illegal.

If you wanted to check the ex-qashcow’s space saver wheel against the Yeti’s, then you would need to obtain details of the tyre size fitted, in addition to just the wheel diameter in inches. Then punch in the figures to a site like www.willtheyfit.com to check the overall diameter and circumference. (Other wheel size comparison sites exist - your namesake YOC member Colin Lambert found an even better one recently, but the link to that I have momentarily lost).

2) In the unlikely event the Qashqai’s space saver did fit physically. As The Hood has already pointed out, the Yeti was never homologated under the vehicle Type Approval procedures to use an ultra narrow space saver. So whilst carrying it in the car would not contravene any laws. It would become illegal as soon as you fitted it to a hub and used the car on a public highway. Which kind of defeats the object?

3) Don’t be fooled into believing the “space saver” wheel and tyre combinations that are advertised online on numerous platforms as “fits Skoda Yeti”. When checked out, a number of those are physically untrue. Even those that do fit are still illegal to use. See point (2).

Confusingly some people advertise the properly homologated and legal Yeti spare wheel as a “space saver”. Even the full size, factory option spares that are, as The Hood mentioned are 195/60 R16 89H overall. Those are not “space saver” at all. Just advertised by people who have zero understanding of the terminology they are using. Or have deliberately used the key words “space” and “saver” in their ads, in order to appear in buyer searches that have used those words in ignorance.

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost certainly not. Several reasons:

1) Most ultra-narrow space saver wheels normally have a rather high sidewall, narrow width tyre fitted. For example, my BMW has a space saver spare that is on a 17” wheel with a 125/80 profile tyre. That gives it a 3mm difference from the 255/35 18” wheel and tyres normally in use. Therefore is acceptable for that car.

On its 17” wheel option, the Yeti had moderately low profile tyres (225/50) to give the same diameter and rolling circumference as it had on 16” wheels with the regular 215/60 tyre.
If I fitted my BMW’s 17” space saver to the Yeti, that would give a diameter that was 25mm greater than the regular 17” wheel and tyres. Way outside the acceptable limits and definitely illegal.

If you wanted to check the ex-qashcow’s space saver wheel against the Yeti’s, then you would need to obtain details of the tyre size fitted, in addition to just the wheel diameter in inches. Then punch in the figures to a site like www.willtheyfit.com to check the overall diameter and circumference. (Other wheel size comparison sites exist - your namesake YOC member Colin Lambert found an even better one recently, but the link to that I have momentarily lost).

2) In the unlikely event the Qashqai’s space saver did fit physically. As The Hood has already pointed out, the Yeti was never homologated under the vehicle Type Approval procedures to use an ultra narrow space saver. So whilst carrying it in the car would not contravene any laws. It would become illegal as soon as you fitted it to a hub and used the car on a public highway. Which kind of defeats the object?

3) Don’t be fooled into believing the “space saver” wheel and tyre combinations that are advertised online on numerous platforms as “fits Skoda Yeti”. When checked out, a number of those are physically untrue. Even those that do fit are still illegal to use. See point (2).

Confusingly some people advertise the properly homologated and legal Yeti spare wheel as a “space saver”. Even the full size, factory option spares that are, as The Hood mentioned are 195/60 R16 89H overall. Those are not “space saver” at all. Just advertised by people who have zero understanding of the terminology they are using. Or have deliberately used the key words “space” and “saver” in their ads, in order to appear in buyer searches that have used those words in ignorance.

Caveat emptor.
hi thank you for your response it’s all a bit over my head but I get your drift I do have a full size spare wheel identical to what’s on the car already but it takes up so much room In the boot that I thought a space saver would be better, thanks Colin

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I think that we used to go on holiday for a fortnight, Mum, Dad, four brothers, in a Morris 1000 convertible, what do you lot put in the boot?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Apart from all the info above.....
NO IT WON'T!
Qashqai Wheel specs and tire sizes (2013 — ….)
  • Bolt pattern (PCD): 5 × 114.3
  • Center Bore (CB): 66.1
  • Thread size (THD): 12 x 1.5
  • Diameter: 16 — 19
  • Width: 215 — 225
  • Aspect ratio: 45 — 65
  • Smallest — Largest tire size: 215/65R16 — 225/45R19
  • YETI
  • PCD 5x112
  • Offset (ET) 45
  • Centre Bore (CB) 57.1

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
I do have a full size spare wheel identical to what’s on the car already but it takes up so much room In the boot that I thought a space saver would be better, thanks Colin
Do you also have the kit that goes with the spare? (Stowage boxes, that help to support the false floor, false floor itself, etc. )
If so, then all you need in place of the alloy spare is one like this:

Laid flat and secured under the false floor, this will match the height of the stowage boxes. That in turn will then mean the floor fits just a fraction below the lip of the boot frame/latch panel. As The Hood mentioned in #5

An ultra skinny space saver would not help much, as the boxes and false floor would still sit higher than the wheel.

Or if if you were happy to wait for the opportunity, memberfs do occasionally have spare wheels for sale in the forum's For Sale and Wanted section.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I bought a skinny space saver and kit (jack, brace etc form my local computerised Scrapyard. Unused. £72 all in and I keep the compressor from the 'Huff & Puff & stuff kit' As quite often you get a puncture with the offending nail/screw still in, One can often get away with re-inflating and then hot-footing it to the nearest tyre depot for a proper repair,. Thereby saving you all the [email protected] about changing a wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
When I think that we used to go on holiday for a fortnight, Mum, Dad, four brothers, in a Morris 1000 convertible, what do you lot put in the boot?
Our greyhound.

·
Administrator
14,368 Posts
Having used one twice on my previous Mazda, I think the best usage for a skinny space saver is as an air reservoir for an Easybleed. It was awful and if you ever carry one and need to use it put it on a non driven wheel, which could mean if you get a flat on the front put it on the back and the back wheel on the front, especially when it has been raining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts