Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 7 updates and security patches ended today and as GCHQ warned people not to do internet banking or send e-mails as from now, we're going to transfer to Windows 10 Home. It's an opportunity to upgrade our PC, which will include AMD Ryzen 5 Quad Core with integrated Vega Graphics, 8GB RAM, 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD plus a 1 TB hard drive to store data. Our local computer shop will do the upgrade and provide an hour of basic training. I have Windows 10 for Dummies. Is there any other helpful advice from forum members, other than 'don't', as I've placed the order. Incidentally, I believe some companies still use Vista and W8: I hope that my bank doesn't!

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
With a new forum on the way, and Microsoft edge turning into Chrome at the same time stocking up on some comfort food might be a good idea.

Win 10 isn't that bad when you get used to it. I am now an "Admin" for 4x4 Response and spent today trying new access to their system on Edge, I.E., Chrome, Firefox and Opera and they all behaved differently with the same software!! Half your battle will be with your browser so stick with the one you like.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd echo that on sticking to one browser if you can. We've been running W10 for the last few years and have had no major problems - or minor ones for that matter. Plenty of differences, but no true faults. We've kept auto-updates enabled, and use Windows Defender for antivirus protection with that too set up to download all virus definition updates automatically. The OS and Defender don't squabble either.
The hardest part has been remembering where to look for the things you know and love, and the difference in various interfaces. Overall it works well for us, though I appreciate that the experience and opinion of others may differ!

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Agree with above comments about W10. And browser differences. I switch regularly between old IE12, Edge, Chrome and Safari. Each different. Much of our own company’s web software behaves differently on each.
W10 all day every working day on a DELL Professional “Latitude” i7 laptop. (When I’m not nattering in here! :smile:)

Jimmy - be reassured you have made the RIGHT decision to jump straight from W7 to W10. That’s a logical move. Avoiding the truly awful W8. W10 seems to have stabilised now. So a good time to make the swap. Something I learned long ago, was not to be an “early adopter” of any new MS product. Usually third full Service Pack release at least before things stabilise.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Perhaps I should start another thread, but as Hoodie mentioned cookies, vaguely related to food, I used my Christmas Amazon vouchers to buy an electric soup maker. More to follow but another 50 lbs to go this year so liquid diet veggies once a day is healthy and delicious.

·
Administrator
4,665 Posts
Microsoft edge turning into Chrome at the same time stocking up on some comfort food might be a good idea.

The new Microsoft Edge is out for preview and I am using it to post this response. Interesting to see how it copes and will need to look back to find all the things that the old one failed at. Switched to Brave as my first choice browser as it removes most ads and unnecessary junk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge?form=MD194C&OCID=MD194C
Use at your own risk as Preview release

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi, my name is Bill Gates and today I'll teach you how to count to ten in eleven stages.
2, 3, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, VISTA, 7, 8, 10

Good luck Jim, from a MAC man who took the plunge a couple of years back and upgraded his system (and survived, just)

Each to his own, obviously, but I rather like the MAC sequencing............
Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and last week I installed the latest, Catalina............and we've been at 10 from the start.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Latest update to 10 I like is it is now only a single click to bring up the "touch keyboard".

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
My SWMBO has 10 on an HP lappy. it is sooo slooow. We both have the same antedeluvian downspeed of 7Mb and both my Mac desktop (running Sierra) which is 10 years old and stuffed to the gills with JPGs and vids is 5X faster as her HP .
My Macbook Air 2 years old with SSD is instant. (Running Catalina)
Thank God I dumped Windows after 10 years of suffering!

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
You get what you pay for Colin. Methinks you’re comparing apples with pears between a cheap HP laptop and a much more expensive Mac? If you specced a Dell Latitude Professional to the same performance level of Intel processor and SSD for the price and spec of your Mac, I believe you would find the performance very similar. That’s what I found anyway. (N.B. Not a cheap Dell Dimension range with a feeble i3 chip and spinny up disc plus little or no RAM)

Plus regular running of tidy up and registry check software like Ccleaner on a Windows machine keeps its performance up to scratch. The difference there is your Mac or iPad does the same maintenance tasks without your knowledge.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
I have an iPad mini which I bought to replace a Nexus 7, the iPad is a very poor replacement and nowhere near as good as the Nexus.

I also have a laptop running win 10 built by Chillblast in Dorset, it needs a windows re install to regain it's youth but at least with windows you have that option. The iPad needed a stick of dynamite up its exhaust from day 1.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
I’m on my fourth iPad. Each of first three failed irreparably and needed a complete replacement, near the end of its two-year extended business warranty period. This one lost the ability to plug in headphones at two years and one month. Apple say the repair would be - you guessed - a new iPad.
This type of design is soooooo wasteful in every sense. Good job I don’t have to pay the costs, or extended two year warranty myself - or I would have thrown them out the window long ago. My £1700 W10 Dell on the other hand - three years old and runs like an Azuma or 125 express train.

SWMBO has an iPad to be compatible with her work systems that store stuff on iCloud. Two years old. It’s battery gave up the ghost just before Christmas. Apple say it can’t be repaired. So swapped it for new one of same spec for the price of a new battery, two weeks ago.

Least reliable bits of IT kit I’ve known since ICL’s “One per Desk” in 1970s.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Windows 10 installed and it all looks very familiar. So far very impressed and quite easy to find my way around. E-mails are now via Mozilla Thunderbird, but it works on all three accounts. Now I have to download all my bookmarks, but one hour in it is not as daunting as I'd feared. Reminiscent of the 'new' forum update a while ago: just need time to get used to changes. Re iPads: mine is about 4 years old and works perfectly, except for issues with a poor connection with the lightning cable, fixed by using a magnetic connector.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds good! I'm sure you'll soon get used its differences and idiosyncrasies. When I used to build Windows systems for a living I used to take a bare machine and load the operating system on it taking as many defaults as made sense. I used to leave any tweaking until the basic build was complete and stable before adding apps and customisation. I found out early on that adding too many changes in a lump could make troubleshooting much harder if something nasty did happen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've just bought a new PC with Windows 10 and am getting used to it. I've managed to map my network drives making it easy to transfer data from the old PC to the new PC. I used one of the drives to transfer all my internet bookmarks having first checked if they all worked and linked to valid website. I deleted those which couldn't be found. I'm still keeping my old PC as the new one doesn't have drivers for some of my peripherals.

The new PC has an SSD and boots up much faster than the old one but I've added a second drive primarily for data leaving the C drive for the OS and software. This makes moving data to another PC very easy should I need too if the new PC fails. It's also quieter!

Keith

·
Registered
219 Posts
The number of cloud storage options also helps make it easier to shuffle data around when you upgrade. We bought a cheap but good-spec secondhand Dell tower system on eBay in late 2016 and did the free W10 upgrade when it was on offer. It's been bulletproof so far... (crosses fingers).

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's going well so far. I like the fact that W10 is now an evolving service, so it should be 'future-proofed'. I'm using the DuckDuckGo extension to Firefox as my search engine. I've linked the webcam mike to Cortana for a bit of fun. The new AMD Ryzen processor is super fast and combined with TalkTalk Fastfibre (around 60Mbps) I'm very content. Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail works well, but I need to sort out the address book as it didn't all transfer completely from Outlook e-mail. It's all there, except for visible names. Typing in the first few letters works, so perhaps I'll live with it until I have time to completely rewrite all the contact details. All the bookmarks are now entered. After nearly five years, W10 seems to be fully sorted, so as a relatively low-tech user I can highly recommend it! Do any forum members have useful comments to improve my experiences with W10? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail works well, but I need to sort out the address book as it didn't all transfer completely from Outlook e-mail.

Any reason you are not using Outlook Jimmy?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Do any forum members have useful comments to improve my experiences with W10? Thanks.
Yes, if you haven't, create a boot USB, basically a repair kit--a mirror image of your OS, that should get you out of problems should your PC play up/crash and not boot up.

You can burn disks instead but a USB stick is more convenient but don't loose it

If you have a spare HD, install it into an external case and use it as a back up for all your data.

Manage your Window updates to suit you as much as you can.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts