Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft have released two recent updates.

1803 was the first, as it's number suggests it should have been released in March, but due to problems, to use Microsoft's description it was delayed, and late. That caused quite a lot of problems for a large number of users, particularly users of Chrome.

Then came KB4103721 and KB4103727, users would have got whichever was appropriate to their setup. Part of their remit was to address the problems of 1803. This update (K4103727) bricked my laptop, it would not boot fully beyond a black screen with rotating dots and a white cursor, and did not respond to recovery drives, installation discs or rescue discs.

After going through the procedures below and recovering my laptop to a restore point, I disabled as many startup items as possible and managed to get it to work on the second try. Although it is possible to "hide" the update, it would have installed with the next KB update. I hope this may be of help to someone.

Try to boot into safe mode

Power ON your computer and as Windows / manufacturer's Logo appears, Power OFF - Repeat 3 times
Now your computer will go into Advanced Recovery Environment
Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart
Press 4 or F4 to enable Safe Mode (5 or F5 to enable Safe Mode with Networking)

Once you are able to boot into safe mode, You should uninstall this update and block it from happening again. If you block it, it doesn't install on its own.

1. Type appwiz.cpl in Windows Start Search box (Cortana) > Click appwiz.cpl > Click View installed updates > Under Microsoft Windows, look if KB4103721 (or KB4103727) is installed > If yes, right click on it and Uninstall

2. Microsoft has provided a tool Show/Hide Updates tool to block the update. Download the tool from below link

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f2...

When you run this, it will search for available updates and list them
Select the update which you want to hide. Click Next and follow on-screen directions

Another option is to use advanced options to roll back your computer to a previous restore point before the update, the computer will then work as before,then block the update.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
as i said in a thread i started once pc started ican not get password to worki am pretty useless with computers unless shown
may try that when i get a chance

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello mr hood I to had the black screen and white cursor after that spring update I went into safe mode did a windows reset and it recovered apparently windows tries to modify graphics hardware and fails causing the black screen bring back win 98

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The laptop loaded the delayed 1803 version of windows O.K. and then got trashed by KB4103727 which I think is supposed to address some problems in 1803. Even though I had loaded 1803 and managed to get the laptop back and install KB4103727 Saturday evening windows downloaded 1803 AGAIN!! This was a complete re install as everything else as regards updates has disappeared.

I hope they get their act together in September when the next version is released, otherwise I may defect to Apple.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Administrator
4,439 Posts
Maybe it depends on when you updated to the 1803 Feature Update as last week I updated three laptops without any issues. None of them have (so far) been updated with KB4103727which when I checked the Microsoft site is listed under Version 1709 rather than Version 1803. I wonder if your update tried to do both the 1803 Feature Update and KB4103727.As it's a Feature Update as you point out the history of previous updated is reset ( the old updates are irrelevant) so there is no record of whether KB4103727 was installed before the 1803 update. Hopefully from now on everything should be fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Windows 10 Feature Update Version 1809 available for download,takes a while,updated my Desktop and two laptops,problem free so far.Be sure to turn System Restore back on after installing as it is switched off during installation.

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised 1809 is available, is that for a "normal" user or an insider?

The April update which was delayed until October due to problems was 1803. Mine is showing up to date as 1803 and the last addition was KB4458469 which was improvements and fixes. I thought that 1809 was the October update and was also delayed due to its predecessor.

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not being inflicted on me yet, with Microsoft's track record I'm happy at 1803. A couple of weeks ago I had to do a re install far too energetic!

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Although we still keep our Windows PC and laptop, because I run some music composing software on them, we migrated to Apple in 2017 due to the constant and irritating work needed to keep Windows running properly.
With it's constant (unwanted) tiresome updates, and time spent 'fixing it' when it was just fine anyway it just became too much of a PITA for day to day use.
Now, we just switch on the 100% reliable iMac and we can work instantly. Seemples.

·
Administrator
4,439 Posts
I too updated to 1809 yesterday, it's on general release but not being rolled out by Windows Update until what used to be Microsoft's Second Tuesday update schedule, so that's the 9th. Seems to work okay but it's a large update so needs some time to complete.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too updated to 1809 yesterday, it's on general release but not being rolled out by Windows Update until what used to be Microsoft's Second Tuesday update schedule, so that's the 9th. Seems to work okay but it's a large update so needs some time to complete.
They will probably use "patch Tuesday" to update fixes for 1809

·
Registered
662 Posts
Apparently Microsoft have pulled update 1809 due to bugs which delete files,reverting back to 1803 using the recovery option does not restore the lost files,not all users are affected,a further rollout was expected Tues 9th Oct but this may be delayed.My desktop PC and two laptops appear OK so I may have dodged a bullet this time.Reports that files from the documents folder are deleted and music,photos

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are several problems with the October update. It has been known to delete or move files particularly Spotify, photographs and documents. Another problem has been that after updating some users have found that Edge and Microsoft store app have not been able to connect to the internet. Internet explorer seems unaffected and a work around is to use IPV6.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are several problems with the October update. It has been known to delete or move files particularly Spotify, photographs and documents. Another problem has been that after updating some users have found that Edge and Microsoft store app have not been able to connect to the internet. Internet explorer seems unaffected and a work around is to use IPV6.
HA! Usual horror stories every single time Microsoft 'upgrade' windows.

As always, the loser is the user.

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST STOP FRIGGING AROUND WITH IT! Nobody needs all these extra bogging 'features'.

Why are USERS having to be bothered with constant workarounds and fixes just to get their bloomin' glitched programme to work properly.

Exactly why we gave up with Windows and moved to our iMac.

Why they can't just bring out a home user version of the older Windows 7 or XP, both of which were a pleasure to use by both home and business, is beyond most users.

I grew up with DOS, Windows 3/95/98/XP/Vista/7 and 8.
10 is a disaster.

·
Administrator
4,439 Posts
I've not noticed any files disappearing but I'll keep an eye on that. IE11 has been more problematic recently but I also adjusted some of the settings so that may be coincidence.
If you are worried about the update you can pause updates for 35 days by selecting the option in Windows Update - Advanced Options. Set Pause Updates to On.

·
Registered
662 Posts
To be fair Spondoolit iMac's update https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-rid-of-those-annoying-mac-update-notificatio-1822632152
and there have been various versions in the past,I agree that Ms is constantly updating and every six months or so the big one arrives with new (in my case unwanted) features but there are benefits such as better security,I just wish Ms would include an option to choose what is downloaded onto my PC,I can do without all the Xbox related cr*p for starters

·
Registered
552 Posts
To be fair Spondoolit iMac's update https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-rid-of-those-annoying-mac-update-notificatio-1822632152
and there have been various versions in the past,I agree that Ms is constantly updating and every six months or so the big one arrives with new (in my case unwanted) features but there are benefits such as better security,I just wish Ms would include an option to choose what is downloaded onto my PC,I can do without all the Xbox related cr*p for starters
From todays news.

We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating”, said Microsoft in a statement on its Windows 10 support site.

Says it all. What a total shambles!

·
Administrator
13,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
As well as "pausing" the update, they have said that anyone who has downloaded the update but not yet installed it, should not do so, and should contact them for assistance.They also claim that anyone who has already installed the update and not had any problems do not be concerned. I think if I had done so I would be thinking about a non destructive re install of windows.

However the just released (today) cumulative update is O.K. it addresses issues with Adobe Flash (if used) and other items such as third party cookies, the install version remains as 1803

1 - 20 of 75 Posts