Yeti Owners Club banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just in case anyone using windows 10 gets an update similar to one I had today.

I found myself unable to log into email. This was because after a win10 update some of the key symbols moved. The @ moved to the number 2 key, and the " moved from the number 2 key to the ' key. Several others moved places and the £ disappeared completely along with the # and ~

I managed to get them back by going into settings, devices, typing, advanced keyboard settings and changing the default input method from use default to UK English closing everything down, then going back again changing it back to use language list recommended. Now everything seems to be working as normal again.

I got the 1809 "September update" in March this year, soon we will be getting the May "blockbuster update" Oh boy I can hardly wait, I wonder what they will screw up this time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Got the latest updates and not experiencing any problems but have had similar problems described by Mr Hood with cumulative updates which have changed the keyboard to US format.I also check that System Protection (System Restore)is still enabled after each patch Tuesday update,the May "big one" is imminent,fingers crossed we will have no probs

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I got four updates over two days, strangely one seems to have successfully installed on two consecutive days. I think it was the second time that 4441 installed that caused the problem. I use a rather nice elderly IBM keyboard dated 1999-02.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I got four updates over two days, strangely one seems to have successfully installed on two consecutive days. I think it was the second time that 4441 installed that caused the problem. I use a rather nice elderly IBM keyboard dated 1999-02.
Aye Microsoft losing the plot, KB4494441 downloading for a second time as we speak:surprise: maybe the first one had a bug

·
Registered
662 Posts
Downloaded and installed the May Feature update today took just over 8 hrs on my slow connection,no problems so far but remember to enable System Restore after installation

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
One new feature is the ability to decide when updates are installed, there is also a "sandbox" feature.

There was also another combined update released today which enabled the May update to be installed. It is being run out slowly and mainly for those classed as "seekers" who click on the check for updates. However even then it may not be available for an individual, you must have at least 1803 or 1809 installed to get 1904 (think it is 1904). Also support for 1803 ends in November at which time such installations become a priority for updating. After the previous two farces, I will be biding my time before upgrading and let early adopters find any problems. The latest update also checks for available disc space and reserves an extra 4gb for future updates.

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
For anyone who has downloaded the 1903 update here is an extract from an item about some zero day vulnerabilities that have already been found.

Two zero-day exploits have been identified so far and four more are lined up in further exposé, per the latest details from the bug-hunter known as SandboxEscaper, who has made a name by scrutinizing potential security holes on Windows 10 and other Microsoft products. The revelation came just days after the release of Patch Tuesday security updates, indicating that a fix is unlikely to show up soon.
The usual security update cycle for Microsoft is every second Tuesday of the month so the threats accompanying these bugs will not be dealt with until June 11. Meanwhile, the same researcher has warned that more zero-days will be out in the open, tthat in the days ahead Windows 10 users will have to bear with risks while using the operating system.
One of the bugs was nicknamed by SandboxEscaper as AngryPolarBugs2 because it shares similarity with a zero-day that was published last December, ZDNet said. The two bugs are said to be vulnerabilities that reside in the Windows Error Reporting service. When used in an attack, any of the bugs will open a door for hackers to edit files.

But the good thing is, it will be tons of hard work to take advantage of the exploits, which SandboxEscaper as a non-issue for the most part.
The second zero-day has to do with the soon-to-retire Internet Explorer 11, which would be vulnerable to the injection of malicious code with the bug around. But according to the same ZDNet report, the bug cannot be exploited remotely hence it can be treated as a low-impact issue in the Windows environment.
To be clear though, low impact bugs or even flaws with potential for privilege escalations are long-regarded as normal occurrences in the Windows operating system. As the OS of choice by millions around the world, Windows is under constant threat of attacks while hackers are relentless in their pursuit to look for vulnerabilities.

Microsoft, however, is letting its guards down, The Register said in a related report. Aside from its monthly dispatch of security fixes the tech giant is always ready to release emergency patches when the situation calls for it. That should mean if any of the zero-days that SandboxEscaper has been identifying in the past morphed into a serious threat, the Windows maker will be on hand to thwart the attack.
The likely source of such an episode is when SandboxEscaper follows through on her warning that she might just sell the identified exploits if only to spite the West.

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Here we go again! Every so often Microsoft release a "patch" which screws things up. My laptop has been freezing every so often but as I have got used to the update errors I had been waiting for MS to fix the problem. It seems the culprit was a patch released a little while ago (about 4th Feb) for four days, after which it was "pulled" permanently.
It is possible to uninstall updates by going into update history, which offers an uninstall option in the top left corner. The patch I removed was KB4524244 fingers crossed it works, it seems faster but early days yet.

·
Administrator
4,439 Posts
A few more details.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not forgetting versions 1903 to 1909 has created a shed load of issues for printers.

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I had to uninstall and reinstall KB4532693 three times before it worked. That was where MS had installed features in both of last years update, but they were inactive. This update was supposed to switch them on and join something up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The only trouble I've noticed on my laptop is the Fingerprint scanner isn't working since the 1903 version. :mad:

61 - 75 of 75 Posts