Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. We have found that the drivers side of the windscreen clears less effectively than the passenger side. It feels like there isn't as much air blowing on the windscreen on the drivers side. Is this normal. Does clear with air con but don't want to run this all the time. What are the recommended settings? We have tried hot air even with a fast demister speed.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Run the air con all the time! It does not use more fuel and keeps all the seals lubricated.
And both of my Yet is cleared the passenger side slightly quicker than the drivers. I suspect because the car was set up as LHD as we are the unusual ones.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Run the air con all the time! It does not use more fuel and keeps all the seals lubricated.
And both of my Yet is cleared the passenger side slightly quicker than the drivers. I suspect because the car was set up as LHD as we are the unusual ones.
I concur!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The screen will clear much better with the air con on.In winter when heat is being used in car it doesn’t affect fuel consumption.However where the air con does affect fuel consumption quite dramatically is in very warm weather and maximum cold air is called for.It also affects the power of smaller engines noticeably.The difference between no air con and maximum cooling is about 10% reduction in mpg in my car!

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
I suspect because the car was set up as LHD.
There are other aspects that did not make it into the RHD conversion too. Such as the gentle angle to the left of the centre console area of the dashboard (the area where the radio controls are). At least on pre-FL Yeti.

Edit: discussion of what proportion of the world drive LHD or RHD cars, taken to its own thread in Idle Chit Chat. Where it belongs. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep, aircon every time for me, as others have said. Ours is set to 'auto' and never gets switched off unless by accident.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
Where windscreen demisting is concerned basic aircon is far better at demisting than climate control. At zero tell aircon to run cold dry air over the windscreen and it does as it is told. Tell climate control to do that and it says no, it is already cooler than my lowest setting.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where windscreen demisting is concerned basic aircon is far better at demisting than climate control. At zero tell aircon to run cold dry air over the windscreen and it does as it is told. Tell climate control to do that and it says no, it is already cooler than my lowest setting.
I can't remember the various buttons without going to look because having overcome the misting problem we just don't touch it, we just dial up the temperature required. I'm interested in what you mean by 'zero' though, as we do very occasionally get some transient misting on the driver side. This is only ever in prolonged spells of wet weather when we're getting into the car in wet gear.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
I meant zero degrees outside, at 0430 in the morning it happens quite often, just after getting the Yeti it was -10 and the demist was hopeless at that temperature. The previous Mazda had normal aircon and would have blown cold dry air clearing the screen almost immediately.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
I find the "Max Demist" button clears misting very quickly.

Reactions: Pidgeonpost

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
Lots of noise and a slight improvement but nowhere as good as the Mazda with basic aircon. I once had to stop less than two hundred yards up the road as the inside of the screen froze over on the inside.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The air conditioning must have some effect on mpg as the compressor absorbs power from the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
The air conditioning must have some effect on mpg as the compressor absorbs power from the engine.
Considering that the compressor is turning continuously I am very doubtful of that.
I can remember the first car I had with AC and when you turned that on the revs increased to compensate. That never happened on the Yeti and doesn't on the Niro either.

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
The AC compressor pulley may be turning continuously, but most of the time it is only acting as an idler. On modern systems there is an electro magnetic clutch between the pulley and the compressor itself. That is only engaged when the system actually needs the compressor to push some more refrigerant around its half of the system. If sitting at idle with the AC on and the bonnet open, you can hear it click in and out periodically, as needed.

Reactions: kribble

·
Registered
223 Posts
If the air-conditioning system is cooling and/or dehumidifying the air where do you think the energy is coming from? You don't get owt for nowt! The compressor pulley may turn continuously but there is a magnetic clutch.....

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's worth making sure that the glass is really clean on the side as this reduces condensation. on A cold day I use the windscreen heater, the AC and the car's heater in combo. As you get into the car, a lot of cold, damp air comes in with you and it needs all weapons to defeat it.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
It's worth making sure that the glass is really clean on the side as this reduces condensation. on A cold day I use the windscreen heater, the AC and the car's heater in combo.
Invisible glass does just what the name says.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
The compressor pulley may turn continuously but there is a magnetic clutch.....
Not on the newer ones, probably from F/L, it's all done on the swash plate angle.

Reactions: kribble

·
Registered
223 Posts
Either way, it can't be said that the AC does not affect the mpg. On some AC compressors, there is an internal capacity control that looks like a bypass. A good AC system needs to modulate rather than be on/off. I suppose a compressor could have a clutch and a variable swash plate.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can't pretend that I haven’t prodded the max demist button occasionally in extreme conditions, but it's very rare.
I'll second the Invisible Glass - expensive but very good - and our Yeti needs another dose.
I remember a similar discussion on the effects of aircon on fuel consumption where it was suggested that if you open a window in warm weather rather than operating the aircon it increases fuel consumption by the same degree as running the aircon. I can't see how that would apply across all makes and models, but may be a way of perpetuating a discussion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts