Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for me winter is officially over
Here are SWMBO's Dunlops in storage for next year, back to the Energy savers

Something missing with mine though, the cars late arrival meant all our local tyre dealers had been cleared out. Anyone know of any clearance offers on Dunlop or Michelin (21/60/16) winter tyres? (215.60.16)

Edited by: The Hood

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the winter tyres ordered from Oponeolast Thursday arrived today (Tuesday). Fitted in five minutes flat by ALS tyres Warfield for £10 a corner.From cling film

to tyre tree
Side-by-side with SWMBO winter tyres ready to put on the car, that should guarantee a nice mild winter this year. The low emmision sticker for Germany also arived today so roll on Christmas and who cares if it snows!

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Christmas 2010 we stayed with my brother in law in Aachen. It snowed for four days, one night alone we had 14 inches (see picture of my Mazda below that is just one nights snowfall). The roads were untouched by the authorities. I am also a shift worker often leaving home around 0430, (before the gritters wake up) and a couple of years ago tried tofollow snow ploughs along the M3 and M25 going to work except they went so fast I could not keep up with them. Obviously your own life style and conditions are a big factor as to whether you need winter tyres. At 7 degrees normal tyres start to harden andtheir grip reduces, winter are also better in lowtemperatures inthe wet, that said in warm dry weather they are less effective than normal summer tyres. Wnter tyres have a greater percentage of rubber and a two wheel drive car with winter tyres will cope better than a 4x4 on summers. As I said it all depends on where and when you need to drive, also the extra cost is off set by the fact that when you are using the winter tyres the summer set are not being worn out.

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg493/skodayeti/Aachen%202010/?action=view¤t=IMG_0764.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Are being serious, K?

I'm at work so can't get onto youtube but there some very good examples there of why they are better.
Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As Graham said there are many examples on youtube, many of them are a bit extreme but here's one that should give you an idea, it shows winter tyres both in snow and the wet.

http://youtu.be/elP_34ltdWI

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Yes, it's called an ALL SEASON TYRE, such as the Goodyear Vector All Season.
You could try googling ALL SEASON TYRES.

·
Registered
77 Posts
HI YETI PEOPLEJUST HAD NEW WINTER TYRES FITTED, DUNLOP WINTER SPORT 4D £160 PER CORNER
AM I OK TO STORE THE SUMMER TYRES IN THE GARAGE UNTIL NEXT YEAR.
IS THERE ANY THING I SHOULD DO TO THE TYRES TO KEEP THEM FROM DISTORTING WHILE IN THE GARAGE.
CHEERS THE BEAST FROM THE EAST.

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best way to store them is inflated with a good airflow around them preferably on a rack or supportI have got a couple of tyre trees from westfalia (link below)
http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/car_accessoires/tyres/storing_tyres/store_tyres_properly/51719-wheel_rim_tree_for_all_car_wheels_keep_basement_and_garage_tidy.htm
They do two models, I have got the more expensive one as it looked stronger, here they are
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg493/skodayeti/?action=view¤t=IMG_1651.jpg
http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg493/skodayeti/?action=view¤t=IMG_1650.jpg

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well winter is due on Friday so the winter wheels and tyres are fitted, that guarantees a heatwave next week. I think the taller 60 profile tyres suit the car, one thing I did notice when using the supplied jack (I'd much rather use a trolley jack) was that the jack fouls the front corner of the RRP panel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone.
I was confused with skoda recommendation about winter tyres. Couldn't decide what to do - original 215/60/16 or 205/55/16, as Skoda recommends. Peaked other forums and wasnt't much smarter after that. Heared lots of nonsense and I knew I have to lean on my own judgment. One said that certain tyre was the best, other said that the same tyre was unreliable and almost deadly. Some said that smaller tyres made yeti look very ugly. There were even some
ideas like putting biger (225/65/16) to
make "yeti look really mighty". Did a lot of
research, about tyres quality, price etc.
Finally I've decided to lean on my own
judgment about conditions I need tyre for
and ADAC tests. I live in urban area with
clean roads with no snow, but wet and slippery pavement. But if I want to visit other places in Croatia I need tyres for
heavy snow. Thinking, better to be able to put chains even knowing probably you'll
never need it, but to be unprepared once
you need it - I took smaller 205/55. (even
with no need for chains, narrower tyre is more progressive on the snow, and uphill. Hope you understans my "Croatian
English"). And taking in consideration all this I looked at tyre tests. Finally I took michelin alpin a4 205/55/16. No real winter jet, but drove yesterday to wet, slippery and winding mountain road and what can I say about yeti and michelin - feelin' is" good. Edited by: Jazz Moli

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, kilsajj, before you store your tyres to dark, dry and airconditioned room, you should decide what to put on your car first. Asking about Dunlop or any other tyre- lots of good (and expensive - over here, maybe not where you live) tyre but you should judge which one is as good as you need it to be.Edited by: Jazz Moli

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you fit winter tyres that are a different size to the originals you need to keep the circumference as close to the original as possible. 205/55/16 is not a good substitute for 225/50/17 as the circumference is too small. Although in yourcaseit depends on your original tyre size.

The 215/60/16 is nearer the original size than 205/55/16. To make things simple with the speeds below discount the inherent speedo error

225/50/17 circumference = 2061 mm speed at indicated 70 mph = 70 mph
215/60/16 circumference = 2086 mm speed at indicated 70 mph = 70.85 mph +1.21%
205/55/16 circumference = 1985 mm speed at indicated 70 mph = 67.42 mph - 3.69%

also there is a list of appropriate tyre sizesinside the fuel flap

If you want a quick and easy way to changeKPH to MPH divide byfive and multiply by three

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're right. My original size was 215/60/16 (Conti Premium Contact 2) and I'll put them back in spring time. Winter version 205/55/16 (Michelin Alpine A4 seams to be equally good in wet and nival conditions) is what I thought would fitt the the best to my yeti due to weather conditions in my country.
And I agree with you about speedometer deviation. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being a newbie, I'm only just catching up on this thread and apologise if I'm too late.
I fitted a set of Goodyear Vector All Season tyres in time for the 2010 winter (the factory-fitted tyres having worn to an uncomfortable degree in just one year - or maybe I'm just over-cautious). Anyway, the Goodyears have been great, especially in that first snowy winter, hardly missing a beat. The grip has been perfectly adequate in summer too (although its hard to assess dry road performance as we don't have those in Cumbria). They have been fitted for nearly two years (about 24,000 miles) and are down to 4.5mm from 9mm new. I bought them at a competitive price from mytyres.co.uk (am I allowed to advertise?) and had them fitted locally.

·
Administrator
14,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Goodyear Vectors are often mentioned and I've yet to see a bad word against them. My winter tyres came from Poland, ordered on a Friday evening, delivered at 0820 the next Tuesday, and all were only a few weeks old. I know what you mean about the rain, years ago we took the kids camping, stayed on a site with a raised area for tents (not seen that one before), when we woke in the morning we were on an island, the rest of the site where the caravans werewas flooded, as was the indentation under our ground sheet!

·
Registered
222 Posts
This morning picked up 4 rims from Sinclair Skoda, Swansea and the had winter tyres (215 60 16) fitted at my local tyre fitters. I may be a bit late for this year but at least I'm prepared for next winter.
Perhaps someone can help me with my next problem - I don't seem to be able to get wheel hub covers to fit the 7J- 16 -ET 45 rims supplied by Skoda. It appears that there is insuffient indentation for the hubs to 'grip' onto the rims. Halfords have had a look at the rims and say they don't have anything compatible and neither do they stock a smaller hub to just cover the wheel nuts. Skoda's original hub covers are £35 a throw so are not a viable purchase. Would be really grateful for any advice.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts