Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a set of rims and tyres for my yeti
Fitted with 17" tyres am not sure I'd I can fit 16" instead does anybody know

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
I bought a set of used Audi alloys three months before I got my car, no cracks or major damage just a couple of light scuff marks, they were £60 on ebay collect only so no one else went for them.Last thursday I called the best local tyre dealer for some pricesand he told me to get some on the internet and he would fit them for £10 each, he reckoned he would make more profit himself that way!!. So I ordered a set of 215/60/16 99H Michelin Alpins from Oponeo £118 each. Camskills will probably be cheaper but they don'texpect any Michelinsuntil mid October.Come friday I should be set for winter.
If you had bought a lower spec car it would have been fitted with 215/60/16 94H tyres. H rated tyres are good for 130 mph you wont go anywhere near that when you need winter tyres, and as long as you get at least an H rating and 94loading you will be OK.

Here is a website that tells you about speed and load ratings
http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/load-and-speed-indexes-advice.html

Edited by: The Hood

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
The difference is 8mm diameter and 25mm circumferencewhich equates to 0.85mph difference at 70mph.
Here is a website that will compare tyre sizes for you
http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator
Here is a website that will tell you which other wheels will fit your Yeti
http://www.wheelfitment.eu/

I got a set of Mondeo wheels for my wife's Ford Fusion £80 (horrible car but she likes it), and a set of Audi A6 wheels £60for my Yeti both from Ebay collection only, less people want to go and collect so less bids.

Here is a website for finding collect only on Ebay just put in your postcode and choose a catagory
http://www.localbargainfinder.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Hood,I think I need a little of your advice here...I have ordered a yeti - 1.2 TSi DSG Elegance spec. - It comes with 17inch wheels. I am keen to get some winter tyres on wheels for it.

From what you say it appears safe to fit 16inch wheels and tyres, why would one do that instead of 17inch?

Am I missing something here, or just being a little slow?!
Kind regards
trevor

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
The yeti greenline and the E have 16inch wheels as standard fit, and 16inch winters are skoda spec so perfectly safe, there is more choice of tyres in the 16inch, and the slightly narrower tyre will cut through the snow more, and allow snow chains to be fitted, on 17inch you can only fit chains to the rear, not a lot of good on a front wheel drive. But some have had 17inch winters fitted to the standard wheels but that means changing the tyres every spring and winter.

I have the Goodyear 4 seasons fitted on mine which is a good enough for my needs, but everybody has their own preference.

Edited by: wakev

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
As Kevin mentions above 16" is a Skoda factory fitted size on some models. There are a couple of things to keep in mind, if you have a 170 BHP model the discs fitted are larger and may not fit inside 16" wheels, another is that a speedo is allowed to over read by up to 10% but must not under read. When you change the size of wheel fitted the circumference of the tyre changes, with a 16" wheel fitted with 215/60/60 tyres the speedo over reads less meaning the speed shown on the dash is closer to what you are actually doing, and needs to be kept in mind when in speed camera areas.As I change between 16" and 17" wheels I have found the smaller wheels with more tyre between me and the road are more comfortable. I also get lower tyre noise and better fuel consumption from the Michelin Alpins, approx. 3 to 4 mpg. Driving on differing types of road within the legal limit the difference in roll / grip is negligible. As Kevin said you pay your money and take your choice with winter / all season tyres. I leave home around 0430 in my area that is often before the before the gritters are up and so go for a purpose made tyre.Last year I found an emptyroad and tried to make the Michelins loose their grip it was very difficult and the car corrected itself almost instantly, but even with winter tyres fitted common sense is the best defence.Hope this helps.

Edited by: The Hood

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Has anyone fitted their winter tyres yet? Perhaps some of the members up north have done so.
Friday morning it was 5.5 degrees, yesterday it was 4.0. Milder this morning with rain (6.5) I think I will fit mine next weekend, winter will probably sneak up when we are looking the other way, they are also better than summer tyres in the wet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Put my winter wheels on on Friday. Marvin looks very smart in his Spectrums... I think I prefer them to the Moons.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
slartibartfast said:
Put my winter wheels on on Friday. Marvin looks very smart in his Spectrums... I think I prefer them to the Moons.
What do Spectrums look like, how about a picture? My winter wheels actually look a bit like Moons!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hoody, those tyre links you posted earlier were very interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here are some Piccies:

No 1 is closeup of Spectrum wheel
No 2 is Marvin in his moons.
No 3 is Marvin with Spectrums

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos, very interesting. The Spectrums look very nice on Marvin, I imagine everyone who wants a set of 16" wheels will look for those...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts