Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yeti is fitted with xenon lights and I keep getting a warning light on the dash when I first start up which the fault system shows as a failed right hand dipped headlight and yes, the headlight is off. However if I stop at a convenient place, turn off the ignition and turn it on again the fault light disappears and the headlamp works fine. I have checked for lose wires etc. with nothing found. Is it a feature of xenon bulbs that they can work intermittently before they fail completely (like some mains fluorescent lights)?? With the price of these bulbs I don't want to replace it just to have the same fault appear again.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
If your Yeti is still under warranty and you can replicate the fault, it would be worth going to a dealer to see what they say. It may be something as simple as a loose connection within the headlight or a corroded contact. You say you turn the ignition off then back on again but do not mention using the light switch, if you do not turn them off and back on with the rotary switch, at least that is ruled out.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
This was a problem on the early yetis, I think it was the ballast unit, many had it and where sorted under warranty. How old is your yeti, if still under warranty take it to any dealer there should be a service recall on the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the swift response. I have 3 months warranty left but have problems replicating the fault to order. Turning the lights off and on again from the rotary switch makes no difference, it appears that the fault system has to reset and this only happens when you turn the ignition
Not a lot you can do under the bonnet these days unlike my other car which is a 40 year old Triumph where you can fix nearly everything at home.
I think my next step is to talk to the dealer to see if he has any ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
It should have logged a fault code in the ECU which the dealer will be able to read and see what is at fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice - I will call the dealer in the morning and get them to look for the fault code and hopefully offer a solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. The garage has found the service bulletin and has offered to replace all the advised parts for free on Friday.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Good result

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
If there is a recall it is a shame your lights had to go wrong before they were changed. I wonder what would have happened if it were three months after the warranty had expired?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this post, even though it's quite old. It is the identical fault as I have on my Yeti and I can now discuss it with the dealer with some background knowledge instead of appearing totally uninformed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts