Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

=the following may be of interest to owners ....who may have had similar issues?

- rearbrake discs replaced, following dealer report to Skoda UK. Significant staining and thenlight rust was showing on discs. Brakes shown to be operating correctly.

- intermittent fault with offside low beam light ie not lit. Dash board 'telltale''was not alwaysconsistent with fault. Dealer have replaced 'igniters' to both sides of car. This took them a good 2 hours.

- front and rear SKODA badges replaced due to delamination of clear plastic top layer.

All this FOC and under warranty but the brake disc problem a little worrying should there be a recurring problemafter year 3......?

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Sorry I've read your post a couple of times, are you saying your discs have been replaced twice? or are you hoping it does not happen again?
My previous car, a Mazda (bought new)had its discs replaced after about six months due warping. I had it for 10 years and 152,000 miles and nothing else ever went wrong.

My Yeti feels far more solid with a better build quality

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never heard of discs being replaced before, due to staining or rust.
If they were working fine then they are doing the job.

Just how bad did they look?
Any pics?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
My stain with a bit of a rust type look after they've been washed and then left. The marks are soon removed once I've drove a few yards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corroded rear discs here also but due to seized pads. Sorted the pads out with the help of a mate in the trade.

Despite pads now moving freely, outer section of both rear discs remain in a poor state, particularly the offside, due to the level of corrosion pitting.

Edited by: A Plumber

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
A Plumber said:
Corroded rear discs here also but due to seized pads. Sorted the pads out with the help of a mate in the trade.

Despite pads now moving freely, outer section of both rear discs remain in a poor state, particularly the offside, due to the level of corrosion pitting.

Welcome to the other side
, I'm sure you can help some members out on this forum with your parts knowledge and your tyre and rim spec list

regards

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Kevin,

thanks for your welcome to the alternative forum on all things Monster

Notice a few familiar names around here, so hello to all
(again)

TP

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Hi The Plumber welcome to the Yeti club, with all your knowledge it will be a better place.
Will you be bringing youravatar with you ? (Bobdog's is also very good).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have just registered with the Yeti Owners Club and came across your message on the forum. I too needed my rear discs replacing 9 months ago, though this was done at 29413 miles (excessive wear had been pointed out to me at 20000 miles however!). Am I right in thinking you got yours replaced free of charge? I had to pay for mine to be done as I was told these type of parts are only covered for the first 6 months of ownership! Not pleased at the time as it cost around £200, so would be interested to hear what you have to say. Generally very pleased with my 2.0 CR 140 4x4 Yeti, but I have an annoying rattle that won't go away (looks like it is the rear door latches), so will be following the forum closely for some ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

The rear discs on theplumbers yeti were not replaced, he cleaned the brake calipers and freed off the pads. The op on this topic did say at thebottomof his post all was done underwarranty.

To stop the rear doorrattle put 3 or 4 turns of electrical tap around the catch plate, where the two parts meet, several people have had this and it has stopped the rattle.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I've just had my rear discs replaced at 68k miles/3 years and these were not done under warranty, and I wouldn't expect them to be. As they are wearing part they will only be replaced under warranty if you can prove that they were defective.
I am surprised at your cost though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all.

Thanks for the tip on rear door rattle-been driving me bonkers and was going to wait till dealer visit for oil-change to raise this-think the tape trick will be tried out in the next few minutes.....

Will have to wash the Sketi asap to get all the salt and crap off it-talking of which we are ice-bound on our steep driveway, this generally defeats all 4wd options-however we purchased the tyre boots from Halfrauds-brilliant!-went up the drive with no hint of traction control kicking in-just to prove a point I tried one boot only-this had the other three wheels scabbling and was a little less tidy, but dragged us up the slope without too much problem-one wheel drive-makes my old Landy look sick!

S/C

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
It will be worth a mention about the rear doors as there was a few catch plates replaced underwarranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks to 'Wakev' and 'Llanigraham' in response to my message. Just to clear things up; My rear discs and pads were replaced at 29413 miles when the Yeti was only a few days over 2 years old, and the cost was just shy of £200 ( an independent garage quoted a similar figure). The original message that I read and responded to about replacement discswas not from the 'Plumber' but was from 'Callipygian' who definitely says that his discs were replaced. I am just disappointed thatmine needed changing so soon and hope the replacements last longer.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I will be trying the tape on the door latches as the rattle drives me mad.Otherwise very pleased with the Yeti; it drives great, is quite economical and handles fantastic for a 'taller' car. I will now be following the forum regularly to pick up any tricks and tips, and pass on anything I can too. Cheers and happy motoring.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was really miffed by the rust appearing on my discs within 2 months of driving.Considering I live in a fairly dry climate and had only driven in rain twice during that period it beg's the question why.I do jet wash the wheels and arches regularly to de dust em but still dont understand why rust was taking hold so quickly.Anyhow,wheel's off,fine wet n dry rub to affected area's,spirit wipe and a coat of heat proof silver alluminium paint and the job's a goodun.No sign of re-appearance and still looking good as new after a further 4-5k.Would guess it's just one of the weaker areas of finish.Not had rust on the actual braking area though which I guess is the most important bit.As for the rattle on the rear tailgate(which only arose on the most severe of bump's) I sleaved it with a tube of heat shrink plastic which when warmed with a hair-drier went as tight as a drum and seem's to be standing up very well.
He is a lovely motor even with his one or two tiny foibles.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Suzuki said:
I was really miffed by the rust appearing on my discs within 2 months of driving.Considering I live in a fairly dry climate and had only driven in rain twice during that period it beg's the question why.I do jet wash the wheels and arches regularly to de dust em but still dont understand why rust was taking hold so quickly.Not had rust on the actual braking area though which I guess is the most important bit.
He is a lovely motor even with his one or two tiny foibles.
Rusting on the discs is normal and has always happened, even if it is only a few water droplets there will be rust spots. In the old days when cars had steel wheels you couldn't see the discs, as soon as you apply the brakes, the pads remove the rust from the swept area. With modern cars fitted with alloy wheels the discs (and rust) are easy to see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry Hood,my previous post was a little off target.I meant the painted area's of the disc.The centre hub area and the outside edges.I dont get much rust on the disc itself as we have very little rain and no salt whatsoever.Just thought it a bit premature for rust on these area's.No matter as it's bright n shiny now but the dealer just shrugged and said,normal.Just a bit ocd the wife reckon's.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
And your dealer was correct, it is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes but no but,it did look horrible and look's much nicer now for the sake of a morning's effort, and seem's to be wearing much better than before.As has been said before and sadly I must agree,I'm a bit of an old tart where me motor's concerned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts