Yeti Owners Club banner

Yellow engine warnig light ,exhaust management?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  The Hood 
#1 ·
hi how do you reset the warning light, can I disconnect the battery with out the radio code. The car drives fine its a 16 diesel 2012
Thanks Sandra.:)

#2 ·
Hi Sandra,

Welcome to the club. The short answer to your question is that you can’t reset the warning light without using VCDS or similar. Disconnecting the battery won’t do it either. In any event, you ought to find out what is causing the light to come on. Later model Yetis will reset the radio code automatically on the earlier ones, I’m pretty sure you will need the code. I’m sure someone will follow up with the year that the changeover happened.

Reactions: Sandaz
#4 · (Edited)
As well as the all-encompassing VCDS software on a laptop, the much less expensive “Carista” smartphone app will usually have ability to read and clear codes, but needs a compatible OBD II diagnostic port reader/transmitter.

Most cheap fault code readers that plug directly into the OBD II diagnostic port will read and clear fault codes. Especially engine ECU codes. (Some don’t see codes from body system computers though, like braking system or lighting). The reader I have was under £10 from the middle aisle at an ALDI a few years back. Branded “XS”.

If the car does have a genuine exhaust fault though, e.g. its EGR valve not functioning properly, because it’s clogged with soot, then the fault will return, unless you take (have already taken?) further action. Car will continue to drive fine with a low level fault. Only when it gets more serious, and/or the warning light turns red, will it generally drop into self defence “limp home” mode, when it drops power.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

As Trilux says just resetting isn't the answer unless you know what is causing the problem. The lamp covers a multitude of possible faults and the only was to find which is as The Hood says get the code read with an OBDII dongle which are much cheaper than VCDS (but also much more limited in functionality). You could take it to a dealer but they are likely to want to charge £80 just for plugging it in to read the code and telling you the part causing the fault.

There is much discussion on here about EGR valves and the emissions fix which usually shows itself with the Engine Management lamp coming on. It may help if you said a bit more about the car. How long have you had it? Do you know if the emissions fix has been applied and when? Mileage? Type of use - long journeys or many short?

#6 ·
If the light is flashing then you've got a serious problem - is it ? if it's steady then you've probably got a little while to sort it. Check fluid levels and check filler cap on tight (yes I know sounds daft) .... there's a zillion sensors which could be origin of problem - see if there's a good local mobile mechanic who'll do a 'cheap' check or if you're member of RAC or AA see if they can offer an onsite check at a reasonable price, Good fortune !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.