Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still not sure which one it is for this car? If it chain driven then how often does it need replacing? And if belt how often? Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Depends on the age of the car. Timing chain engines were used up to mid 2015, belt engines thereafter. (My April/May 2015 registered 1.2 has a chain, one of the very last).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
`Great info thanks so mine is 2011. Do you know how often the timing chain needs changing?

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Only if it develops a rattle.

Some but not all, early chains used suffered slightly from manufacturing economies that led to premature wear and stretching. (The Hood has the full story - to do with the manufacturing dies used to stamp the chain links and pins. The chain manufacturer used by VW was forced, by the price paid by VW, to extend the life of those). Which meant that some chains started life already near maximum wear tolerances. So as they were subject to wear and stretch in use, they soon developed rattles prematurely. Other chains were manufactured properly and were fine. Pot luck which one was built into any particular engine during assembly.

The good ones should last the life of the engine, provided oil changes are done frequently enough and the correct oil used. (unless anyone has better info.?) It is quite likely that by now, any engines that contained a duff chain (technical language) will have either self-destructed, or had their original chain replaced by a good one. After the original developed a rattle.

Its only normally engines with belt camshaft drives that need those changing. That's at 5 year intervals on current VW recommendations.

·
Registered
499 Posts
`Great info thanks so mine is 2011. Do you know how often the timing chain needs changing?
It is possible as it’s 2011,that you had one of the faulty chains that stretched and caused a lot of problems,so may have already been changed.From Nov 2011 a bigger chain design was fitted to try to fix the problem.They were intended to last the life of the engine,but unlikely to,most need to be replaced by 80,000 miles,and an expensive job £700-£800 at least.You may get some noise for a second or two on start up as the tensioner loses its hold until oil pressure builds up. Always change the oil and filter at least every year with the best 5w30 oil and genuine filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very useful info. I was trying to establish why mine has had it chainged ostensibly

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is possible as it’s 2011,that you had one of the faulty chains that stretched and caused a lot of problems,so may have already been changed.From Nov 2011 a bigger chain design was fitted to try to fix the problem.They were intended to last the life of the engine,but unlikely to,most need to be replaced by 80,000 miles,and an expensive job £700-£800 at least.You may get some noise for a second or two on start up as the tensioner loses its hold until oil pressure builds up. Always change the oil and filter at least every year with the best 5w30 oil and genuine filter.
That is very interesting. There is a noise but I thought it was the starter motor which is on its way out. I have only owned the car for 2 days. in the service book it says timing chain done last year but I have my doubts as it looks like it may have been added at a later date. I have asked my brother to call the French mechanic who may have carried out the work. He may or may not recall lets see.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Very useful info. I was trying to establish why mine has had it changed ostensibly
If that is backed up by documentation, and the change was done relatively recently, then chances are that is Good News. Provided the replacement chain was a good one, very likely, and subsequent maintenance (oil changes) have been at adequate frequency and used the correct oil (as TopGun mentioned), to VW504 specification.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is very interesting. There is a noise but I thought it was the starter motor which is on its way out. I have only owned the car for 2 days. in the service book it says timing chain done last year but I have my doubts as it looks like it may have been added at a later date. I have asked my brother to call the French mechanic who may have carried out the work. He may or may not recall lets see.
Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could be that while in France the previous owner changed the chain as cheaper labour costs

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the car has had a skoda recall in 2012 for two different issues. 66f1 and 24wb no idea what these are.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If that is backed up by documentation, and the change was done relatively recently, then chances are that is Good News. Provided the replacement chain was a good one, very likely, and subsequent maintenance (oil changes) have been at adequate frequency and used the correct oil (as TopGun mentioned), to VW507 specification.
(y)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do hear a funny noise when starting the car especially in the morning. It is whirring sound for a couple of seconds just after starting the engine. Presuming it is the chain what are my best options other than regular oil change? I put this to my mechanic and he said there is a special extra thick engine oil that can help with this issue. It is an additive but havent got the name of it yet. He said it could be dangerous if the tensioner is too loose and the chain misses a couple of teeth. Not sure how this all works but as I have just spent 7k on the car would like it to last for a couple of years. Any advice would be most welcome.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
The 1.2 TSI Yeti does not use a special thick oil it should be to VW 504 00 specification and 5w-30.
That sounds a bit like putting sawdust in a gearbox or diff to quieten it down for sale.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mine has done 63k,and makes the start up noise 50% of the time,it’s due to the tensioner losing pressure against the guide rail while engine off.It depends to some extent on what part of the chain the stops at.The tensioner is spring loaded,but also helped by oil pressure,not a brilliant design,and would probably have been better with a ratchet built in.The more the chain wears,and they all do,the more the tensioner struggles to cope.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 1.2 TSI Yeti does not use a special thick oil it should be to VW 504 00 specification and 5w-30.
That sounds a bit like putting sawdust in a gearbox or diff to quieten it down for sale.
Exactly! My thoughts when the mechanic mentioned this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine has done 63k,and makes the start up noise 50% of the time,it’s due to the tensioner losing pressure against the guide rail while engine off.It depends to some extent on what part of the chain the stops at.The tensioner is spring loaded,but also helped by oil pressure,not a brilliant design,and would probably have been better with a ratchet built in.The more the chain wears,and they all do,the more the tensioner struggles to cope.
Ah ok well mine is on 61k and it is debatable whether or not the chain has been changed. I am still trying to get to the bottom of it. In any case would you advise a new chain? My mechanic mate does my mechanical work for about £20 ph

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Indeed! :unsure: The "extra thick oil additive" mentioned is probably "STP" or similar?
Using thicker oil might quieten the noise on the next start up - but would then rapidly make the problem (if there actually is one) worse. Thicker oil takes longer to reach the bearings on cold start up. Especially the cams at the top of the engine. And longer to reach the very tensioner in question. Before the oil pressure pushes it out to tension the chain. Not good therefore.

Modern engines are designed and developed in close collaboration between the engine builder and oil company technical dept. In the Yeti's case VW and Castrol. (Although VW have more recently swapped their technical collaboration partner to Fuchs.). The whole engine design is built round a 5w30 oil with low SAPS, to the VW oil spec that Urrell mentioned. Mess with the oil at your peril?

If it doesn't rattle once everything is warmed up, I wouldn't worry over much. If you're only thinking of keeping it a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts