Yeti Owners Club banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Finally got a quote from a local garage here it is.
I will give you a quote only for the condition of engine still starts. FAI (OE quality) timing chain kit is £186.00 includes timing chain x1, guide rail x2, hydraulic tensioner x1, sprocket x1 and new sealer. labour for replacement is £450.00 includes new coolant after timing chain kit changed, need to fit new oil filter and engine oil. oil service (Bosch oil filter and GULF 5W30 VW504 engine oil 4L) is £90.00 pls note: GULF oil is approved by VW/AUDI Groups. Total is £726.00 job will take 1-1.5 days to finish, we can offer you a courtesy car (free of charge) must book it in advance. pls contact us for booking, thx

I asked them how much extra the oil pump chain would cost to change.

Hi Thank you for getting back to us. Could you pls tell us more about oil pump chain you would like to change? Have you got an error code for oil pressure low? or there is noise in engine sump? As this chain is not common fault. FEBI (OE quality) oil pump drive chain is £54.00 extra labour for oil pump drive chain when doing timing chain kit is £60.00 Total for extra is £114.00 Total will become £840.00

·
Registered
499 Posts
That is about the price I mentioned for the job assuming it includes VAT. The quote doesn’t mention replacing the crankshaft sprocket though,which I believe to be a wider one to accommodate the upgrade slightly wider chain.
The new chain will work with old sprocket but not ideal I would say,and with possibly worn.The oil and filter at £90 a bit pricey,think £50 would be plenty,but knowing garages they like to charge by the litre,though they have huge cans and buy it cheap.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
That is about the price I mentioned for the job assuming it includes VAT. The quote doesn’t mention replacing the crankshaft sprocket though,which I believe to be a wider one to accommodate the upgrade slightly wider chain.
The new chain will work with old sprocket but not ideal I would say,and with possible wear too_Oil and filter at £90 a bit pricey,think £50 would be plenty,but knowing garages they like to charge by the litre,though they have huge cans.🤣
Thanks TopGun Yes the filter is over priced but I look at the overall price rather than how they have spread out their costings. I did mention the sprocket but will ask them again. Thanks for the reminder. I also got a quote from Skoda Main dealer in Letchworth. This came to £1000 for the same work and also includes sprocket and oil chain. However they forgot to add the oil chain to the quote even though I had discussed it with them. You always have to chase everything up these days !!! I will post the Skoda quote on here tomorrow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks TopGun Yes the filter is over priced but I look at the overall price rather than how they have spread out their costings. I did mention the sprocket but will ask them again. Thanks for the reminder. I also got a quote from Skoda Main dealer in Letchworth. This came to £1000 for the same work and also includes sprocket and oil chain. However they forgot to add the oil chain to the quote even though I had discussed it with them. You always have to chase everything up these days !!! I will post the Skoda quote on here tomorrow.
The good news I have finally booked my car in for Tuesday. Before accepting the quote from Galaxy Auto Centre I tried to get a quote from Skoda Watford and Skoda Letchworth and neither of them were able to quote me. Watford simply did not hear back from them and Letchworth failed to get back to me as to whether or not their quote included labour and materials for the oil chain. Neither of them can be that hungry for work. As for Galaxy Auto Centre they answered every one of my queries within minutes and yes the job is inclusive of VAT and the Camshaft Sprocket but said that it did not include gear hub for crankshaft. The total is £840 inclusive of oil chain replacement. And they have a courtesy car whereas neither of the Skoda dealers had one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The good news I have finally booked my car in for Tuesday. Before accepting the quote from Galaxy Auto Centre I tried to get a quote from Skoda Watford and Skoda Letchworth and neither of them were able to quote me. Watford simply did not hear back from them and Letchworth failed to get back to me as to whether or not their quote included labour and materials for the oil chain. Neither of them can be that hungry for work. As for Galaxy Auto Centre they answered every one of my queries within minutes and yes the job is inclusive of VAT and the Camshaft Sprocket but said that it did not include gear hub for crankshaft. The total is £840 inclusive of oil chain replacement. And they have a courtesy car whereas neither of the Skoda dealers had one.
I hope the job goes well and gives you many further years of use of the Yeti.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Thank you and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for all the support and info.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Skoda Letchworth failed to get back to me as to whether or not their quote included labour and materials for the oil chain.
Not surprising as Marshalls are a shower of effluence:mad:.

Reactions: The Hood

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
quick update. Car is at the garage and they have spent most of the day trying to get the 6 bolts off the block. They managed to get 2 off but still have 4 to go and have applied a spray to soak in overnight.

·
Registered
499 Posts
quick update. Car is at the garage and they have spent most of the day trying to get the 6 bolts off the block. They managed to get 2 off but still have 4 to go and have applied a spray to soak in overnight.
Not sure what 6 bolts they mean,except possibly the bolts that hold the chain casings in place,but never heard of these being seized before.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Not sure what 6 bolts they mean,except possibly the bolts that hold the chain casings in place,but never heard of these being seized before.
Yes exactly and they are quite concerned about snapping them so taking extra care

81 - 91 of 91 Posts