Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased new Yeti in September 2012, after about 3 or 4 weeks I noticed a whistling/whining noise usually around 20,000rpm however it also makes the noise whilst stationary. I have taken it back to the dealership on a couple of occasions and they have checked it diagnostically and state that this model makes this noise.
The dealership staff heard the noise themselves and agreed that it was noisy.

Has anyone else experienced this as I am not happy that this is a common problem!

·
Registered
93 Posts
At 20,000 rpm I'd be delighted to hear a slight noise rather than a terminal boom!! - will have a listen to mine on Friday when I pick it up...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't have a whistling noise (although I will check!) but I do have a noisy 'tappy' tick over that I've always wondered about. I need to take her in as the roof strips on the Urban model have cracked so I'll mention it then.

There is nothing more annoying that a car that makes a strange noise so good luck...

stephen

·
Registered
36 Posts
The whistling is probably the turbo, from what i can gather some turbos are louder than others.
The tap/tick are the "tappets" they work the valves on the engine, and can be heard on most cars.As cars get older ie higher miles they become louder andeventuallyneed adjusting unless the car has self adjusting tappets.
I am not sure if the VAG engines have self adjusting tappets, maybe someone can enlighten us on that one.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
When it was new my 1.2 had a tick, tick, tick noise coming from the engine bay. I lifted the bonnet and it was the high pressure fuel pump. It stopped when I started using some upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel.

Whistling noises usually can be tracked to the turbo but is usually, but not always, present in turbos that have been abused or getting old. It can also be a symptom of using an inadequately spec'd engine oil....but it won't be this if you still have the OEM oil in the engine.

Other causes may be an alternator pulley bearing or an air-con front pulley bearing.

Noises made by a pulley bearing will match with the engine revs and will increase/decrease in line with them ie at the same time.
Noises made by the turbo should have a slight time delay when the engine increases/decreases revs. This will be particularly noticeable with a sharp response on the throttle. Turbo noises also tend to have quite a high pitched sound as they spool up.

I hope you sort it out.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 1.2 tsi DSG and i cant say i have noticed a noise at 2000rpm, with the bonnet up at tick over i can here a mechanical tapping sound but it doesn't sound like anything wrong.
over all the engine seems very quite but mines only done 300 miles so far. i have cars with strange noises before and they can be a right pig to sort out, i hope you find out what the problem is (if any)
all the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts