Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with a slight problem I have please..had the car for 5 plus years from new with full service at Skoda. Last 2 months had a hesitation in engine power pulling away in first at 1200 rpm and judder if car part warm. Throttle above and it improves, nightmare if in traffic at low speedCleaned throttle body to remove oil deposits and cleaned pressure sensors, slight improvement and using 97 and 99 Ron petroleum improves things. Feels like a fuel come mapping issue. Anyone help please?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
What engine and gearbox in the car?

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,237 Posts
What engine and gearbox in the car?
There’s a clue in the thread title Nick. ;) :)
I know because I’ve made that error in the past myself. (y)

·
Registered
2014 Yeti 2.0CR TDI L&K Rosso Red
21 Posts
Could be the early sign of a crankshaft/camshaft position sensor beginning to fail.

I've no experience of the 1.2 tsi engine, but some others I've owned had similar symptoms which were traced to bad timing as a result of these sensors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the response, first time I’ve ever posted on a forum.
I will look at the cam sensor, interestingly it had a cam belt change in January and not many weeks after had this problem.
No error codes present and mate checked with diagnostic tool and the boost pressure on the turbo was lagging the mapped expectation.
Just wondered if belt is a tooth out!
Today it was smooth so I guess that rules out the tooth out.
Thanks for the help. Rob

·
Registered
347 Posts
Many thanks for the response, first time I’ve ever posted on a forum.
I will look at the cam sensor, interestingly it had a cam belt change in January and not many weeks after had this problem.
No error codes present and mate checked with diagnostic tool and the boost pressure on the turbo was lagging the mapped expectation.
Just wondered if belt is a tooth out!
Today it was smooth so I guess that rules out the tooth out.
Thanks for the help. Rob
You would know if it was a tooth out on the cam timing, it'd be hard to start and lack power all through the rev range, I hazard a bet you have a christmas tree of light up on the dash as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks that rules that out. Plenty of power after 2000rpm! Flies on 99 Ron for a small engine. No warning lights or error codes.

·
Registered
2014 Yeti 2.0CR TDI L&K Rosso Red
21 Posts
Cam sensor is about £10 depending where you buy from. Since the fault is coincident with cam belt change, any of whatever is moved during the work could be responsible; cabling, plugs, etc. Belt being out by a tooth would cause constant symptoms, not random/erratic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cam sensor is about £10 depending where you buy from. Since the fault is coincident with cam belt change, any of whatever is moved during the work could be responsible; cabling, plugs, etc. Belt being out by a tooth would cause constant symptoms, not random/erratic.
Many thanks for the advice on cam sensor. Cheets

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
571 Posts
When were the plugs last changed?

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,237 Posts
The plugs were changed on 2nd major service at 40k...
How long ago was that? What’s its mileage now? :) (y)
Just quickly scanned the earlier posts in this thread, can’t see that info.? Apologies if I missed it?

I had an occasional loss of power and misfire on the KA (see full signature). Occurred 4 times in the last 6 weeks. Each time with SWMBO driving. Each time she parked up, switched off, then on restart everything was fine. I cleared it’s stored fault codes after each occurrence. Each time was showing misfire on cyls 2 and 3 only. It had new plugs and HT leads 4 years ago in its history with first owner. Then again by me 6000 miles ago. During its MOT 3 weeks ago, when it was running fine, I consulted with the senior tester. Who runs the centre/garage and has a near identical KA as one of the two courtesy cars. “Coil packs” was his reply. So when it happened again last week, I ordered a new pack. Like most modernish petrol cars, KA has individual coils for each spark plug. But they are all mounted in a single unit on top of the cam cover, under the air filter box (just like its sister Fiat 500, with same engine and platform). The new 4-pack was £100 from CarParts4Less, including their 20% weekend discount. I fitted the new pack on Monday. It’s been clear so far.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just quickly scanned the earlier posts in this thread, can’t see that info.? Apologies if I missed it?

I had an occasional loss of power and misfire on the KA (see full signature). Occurred 4 times in the last 6 weeks. Each time with SWMBO driving. Each time she parked up, switched off, then on restart everything was fine. I cleared it’s stored fault codes after each occurrence. Each time was showing misfire on cyls 2 and 3 only. It had new plugs and HT leads 4 years ago in its history with first owner. Then again by me 6000 miles ago. During its MOT 3 weeks ago, when it was running fine, I consulted with the senior tester. Who runs the centre/garage and has a near identical KA as one of the two courtesy cars. “Coil packs” was his reply. So when it happened again last week, I ordered a new pack. Like most modernish petrol cars, KA has individual coils for each spark plug. But they are all mounted in a single unit on top of the cam cover, under the air filter box (just like its sister Fiat 500, with same engine and platform). The new 4-pack was £100 from CarParts4Less, including their 20% weekend discount. I fitted the new pack on Monday. It’s been clear so far.....
The plugs were changed last year and now on 53k. Think I’ll ask my mate to drop his computer back on and give a road test.
Strange it’s a specific rev point, gets another feel of miss about 3000 revs.

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
If you still have the old plugs you could always try refitting them to see if the fault goes away or changes, just because the plugs are new(ish) it does not mean they are immune to problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You would know if it was a tooth out on the cam timing, it'd be hard to start and lack power all through the rev range, I hazard a bet you have a christmas tree of light up on the dash as well.

Had a similar occasional misfire on my 1.2 petrol Yeti around 50,000 miles and it gradually got worse till a new coil pack cured it completely. I was living in the Inner Hebrides then where according to the locals the prevailing south west wind comes all the way from Brazil -without a land mass in between - picking up speed and salt on the way. Everything corrodes and the original coil packs were no exception. --- Wee Yeti

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a similar occasional misfire on my 1.2 petrol Yeti around 50,000 miles and it gradually got worse till a new coil pack cured it completely. I was living in the Inner Hebrides then where according to the locals the prevailing south west wind comes all the way from Brazil -without a land mass in between - picking up speed and salt on the way. Everything corrodes and the original coil packs were no exception. --- Wee Yeti
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look on my mates diagnostic and see if it shows if one of them is missing.
Interestingly I’ve just noticed the coolant has dropped below minimum and it’s never done that since new so I need to track that down.
Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look on my mates diagnostic and see if it shows if one of them is missing.
Interestingly I’ve just noticed the coolant has dropped below minimum and it’s never done that since new so I need to track that down.
Cheers
I followed the advice given and coil pack 1 was dropping out, on replacing it I noticed the white paint across the bolt from Skoda factory wasn’t broken. Coil easy to lift and thought to check the plug, the spark plug was seriously tight to undo and on removal it didn’t look 18 months old( Skoda new plugs Jan 2020) cleaned up and oil on thread went back down easy by hand.
Got the sinking feeling the plugs were never changed.
Has anyone got white paint across certain bolts on components for the engine please?

This has also led to concern whether the cambelt was changed Jan 21. White paint on bolts for cam cover, engine mount below and other bolts not showing any spanner action.
New drive belt for alternator by the looks and bash marks on alternator.

Taking this further with garage and Skoda.

Anything on white paint across bolts would be a big help from anyone out there? Very concerned of the implication.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
580 Posts
What brand are the spark plugs?
Some manufacturers put date codes on them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts