2 off brake calliper carriers. 3C0615125A
2 off 312mm brake discs.5Q0615301F
Brake pads.3C0698151J

Tools required:
7 mm Allen hex wrench or socket
21mm socket
T30 torx bit
Screw driver

All that is required to convert the 288mm brakes fitted to the 2.0 diesel 140 and 1.8 TSI petrol, to the 312mm brakes fitted to the 2.0 diesel 170 are the parts listed above.
The carriers are usually easy to find secondhand on eBay, but after much searching could not find any so opted to buy new. Even this was a dilemma as new from dealer or TPS these are £161 each

I did find some on eBay from Germany for around £100 each, but chickened out of buying them and ended up paying £161 each from TPS. The discs and pads came from TPS also.
* Brake pads have wear sensor wire fitted, but surprisingly my Yeti does not have wiring for same, so cut wire off. There may well be another part number for pads without wear sensor*

The actual change over is a straight forward easy job.

Remove road wheel
Push brake pads back using screwdriver in orifice in calliper
Remove plastic cap from cover over calliper securing pins.
Undo hex pins securing calliper
Remove securing spring from front of calliper
Remove calliper and hang out of way.
Remove brake pads
Undo calliper carrier securing bolts 21mm socket
Remove calliper
Undo T30 screw securing brake disc
Remove brake disc
Clean up hub, fit new 312mm disc
Fit new calliper carrier, applying some locktight to the securing bolts
Clean up calliper
Fit new pads
Clean up calliper slider/ screws
Refit and secure calliper
Refit plastic cap over securing screw
Refit securing spring
Refit wheel
Carry out same on other side
Job done
Hope I've not missed any steps, but it's all straightforward.

Edited by: Kenny R

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and yes, even though the new pads are still bedding in, this upgrade certain does make a great improvement to the braking.
Edited by: Kenny R

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good jobThanks for the tuto

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just done this upgrade after changing the front discs and & pads on my 140 Yeti and still not being impressed.

Following this brilliant guide it was really easy & the brakes are much better now with a lot more bite.

I got my carriers here for £100 the pair: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/support-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I was a bit worried they'd be crappy pattern parts, but when they arrived they were stamped ATE and also had the VAG stamps.

Overall I'm really happy with the brakes now, they've made a big difference. Thanks for the great guide too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For change de braking disks with another bigger is necessary only pads and calibbers? The braking system will be the same? The esp and abs will work normally?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts