Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me while I learn the ropes. I have a 2010 Yeti 4x4 2.0TDI. Yesterday I found I couldn't open the tailgate, the lock wouldn't operate either manually or with central locking. In fact there appears to be no power at all to the tailgate, no number plate lights or wiper either.

Has anyone had this problem before? It might save me a bit of time before I start dismantling anything. Many thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not had this myself, however you may find broken wires are to blame, check where they go from the car to the tailgate (once you've got it open).

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum, I answered your question elsewhere so here is a copy and paste.

It could be that the cable between the body of the car and the tailgate has broken, early Yeti's are prone to doing so between the A pillar and front door (especially the drivers side).
If you get into the boot through one of the doors and fold the seats out of the way there is a small round hole near the boot lip in the tailgate trim this will enable you to open the boot. When the tailgate s open have a look at the cables inside the rubber boot between the body and tailgate.

The micro switch in the door handle may also have failed but if that is the case the rear wiper and heated screen would still work.

·
Registered
580 Posts
An illustration on how to open the tailgate without power (from the 2010 owners manual, found in the Library section of this forum)...
Product Font Parallel Screenshot Motor vehicle

Having the tailgate open should make diagnosing the fault much easier.

If everything in the tailgate stopped working at the same time, I would check the earth wire(s) and earthing point(s) relevant to those circuits, as well as the individual 12v supply wires.
I don't have a wiring diagram, but I would imagine there will only be one or two earth wires in the bundle between the body and tailgate.

Once the tailgate is open, peel back the rubber gaiter and examine all of the wires inside, as suggested in the two posts above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts