Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All Yeti owners.

I have a Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI SE which is a lease car. It is less than 12 months old with 13,000 on the clock. From new I noticed a rotating tick over noise which I thought was just the noise a Skoda diesel engine
made. I took the car to the Skoda dealer in Bournemouth for a heated wing mirror fault, but informed them that I was concerned about the tick over noise which seems to be getting louder. Instant diagnosis, it's
your bad driving, it's the DMF that needs replacing you will have to pay for it, or we will charge the lease company, who will then charge you. This is just the start, I am waiting to see what they come up with when they have carried out a full examination.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Having looked at some comments re similar items, I don't ride the clutch, and have never had a clutch replaced in a car after more than 50 years of driving with some vehicles over 100,000 on the clock. Below is the reply I have just received from the garage. Has any one had a similar problem?

Hello Geoffrey

As you are aware your vehicle is in for a clutch repair today. The garage has removed the transmission assembly to gain access to the clutch. The clutch has been removed and inspected. After a long conversation with there master technician, he confirmed there are no manufacturers defects, the noise and low clutch pedal travel are caused by premature wear.

I have called Skoda UK, they confirmed there are no issues with clutch failure on this model, they have search on this model and no other issues exist with clutch failure.

As the clutch has worn prematurely we are looking to yourself for the cost of the repair. Please confirm you accept £504.32 + vat as a recharge. Should you wish to dispute this, we can instruct an independent engineers to inspect the vehicle and create a report.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I would get Skoda assist (the RAC) to have a look for you as a independent working for you, just because they have no reports of faults it doesn't mean your one can't have one. Hope you get it sorted in your favour.

·
Registered
471 Posts
An indepandant report is a Win Win situation for you.If you get the result you want its paid for x times over & even if its a negative result (& let's hope that it's not!) at least you know that the dealer is not incorrect in their diagnosis/pulling a fast one.

Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agree with wakev here.Could be they are keeping quiet if there have been others, so not as to have to foot the bill?
Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a problem with my Golf estate. I had two DMFs fitted within 5k miles off each other. The second time they said the clutch wanted changing due to the way I had driven the car. I did get the DMFs under warranty. I argued that the clutch was damaged by the faulty DMFs as they did not change the clutch first time. I ended up paying for the clutch as neither the VW dealer or VW customer care would not accept warranty claim. I am sure that the concensus on faulty DMFs is that the clutch be changed at the same time due to the faulty DMF damaging the clutch. From what your dealer has said it looks like it is the clutch that is faulty not the DMF. If that is the case I would get them to put in writing that the DMF is ok so if anything happens in the future ie the DMF failing you have something to get back at them. Also it has been known that the Faulty DMF can cause damage to the starter motor. Have a look on the internet to see if there is any info regards problems with them as the dealer and Skoda will always say not our problem. Honest John the Telegraph motor columnist has answered loads of questions on fault DMFs and the causes. Good luck and I hope you come out a winner.

Stewart

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
grin factor said:
Agree with wakev here.Could be they are keeping quiet if there have been others, so not as to have to foot the bill?
Good luck
Well on another Yeti forum, that is much bigger than this one, I don't think I've seen more than perhaps ONE other complaint about the clutch on the Yeti causing this sort of problem, so I don't think they are "keeping quiet about others".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts