Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New to the forum and looking for any pointers from more experienced owners please. About to buy this 2012 56k 1.8TSI 4x4. Buying from a branded main dealership (not Skoda) and will have a 1 years warranty included in the deal. The car fits our requirement as a family 3rd car - will be used for trips to wet muddy rugby grounds and short local journeys in the sticks with the odd motorway trip. I probably expect to do no more than 5k miles per yr and ultimately will become a car used by my son.

I'm aware of some issues with the 1.8TSI engine and its thirst for oil but not too concerned given our planned driving patterns.

We have had a brief test drive all seemed good apart from some low level noise coming from rear wheels when braking, almost like the sound you get on the raised tarmac surface strips you sometimes have on roads as you approach a roundabout to get you to slow down. If that makes sense. The dealer has committed to investigate it and fix. And I can see as part of the MOT they have completed yesterday (it passed) there is an advisory on 'rear brake binding' so have the working assumption it is linked to that but TBC.

So generally is there anything I should be looking for re service history or know issues? Does the 2012 model have the modified engine that I think(?) fixed many of issues of earlier models?

Any help or hints v welcome.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

From what I understand VW did do something to address the oil consumption issues with the 18TSI engine, however this was not very successful.
I think the VW oil consumption figures for this engine is around 2L per 1000 miles, over that and it's rebuild time.

The fact the car passed the MOT with binding rear brakes is concerning, I would have expected a fail for this due to brake imbalance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

From what I understand VW did do something to address the oil consumption issues with the 18TSI engine, however this was not very successful.
I think the VW oil consumption figures for this engine is around 2L per 1000 miles, over that and it's rebuild time.

The fact the car passed the MOT with binding rear brakes is concerning, I would have expected a fail for this due to brake imbalance.
Thanks Mark.
Yes we will bottom out the MOT advisory item and rear wheel noise with dealer.

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
You need to make sure the Haldex is still working or you may be buying a 2x4 without knowing. VAG refuse to acknowledge that there is a filter in the Haldex and only change the oil, the filter blocks, the pump burns out and the first you will know is when you get stuck.
To test it you need to put the front wheels on a surface where they will spin and get someone to watch the rear wheels. Within 1/8 of a slip of the front wheels the drive should be shared with the rear wheels and they should turn of their own accord and not just because the car eventually moves.
Get the dealer to service the hadlex and change the filter as part of the deal, the parts will cost him less than £75

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to make sure the Haldex is still working or you may be buying a 2x4 without knowing. VAG refuse to acknowledge that there is a filter in the Haldex and only change the oil, the filter blocks, the pump burns out and the first you will know is when you get stuck.
To test it you need to put the front wheels on a surface where they will spin and get someone to watch the rear wheels. Within 1/8 of a slip of the front wheels the drive should be shared with the rear wheels and they should turn of their own accord and not just because the car eventually moves.
Get the dealer to service the hadlex and change the filter as part of the deal, the parts will cost him less than £75
Thank you for that pointer on the 4x4 system. I will follow up with the dealer.

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There is a thread with some general things to look out for in a second hand yeti if you haven't found it, a number of which will apply to a 2012 model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts