Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said goodbye to my Yeti yesterday, after just shy of six years ownership. Although a long time VAG Group, owner, the emissions debacle, and resultant diesel witch hunt, has steered me away from both.

A new Jimny now sits on my drive. 1500cc, NA petrol. Not something that is ideal for long motorway journeys, but for 90%of my useage, it should be fine. It's excellent off-road capability is a decided plus for me.

I shall continue to pop in and see how things are.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,927 Posts
It's a shame to loose a long term member but with the Yeti out of production it is a journey we will all make eventually. You are always welcome to drop in and if you were able to give updates on your new car it could be of help to others. All the best with your new drive, it is a vehicle I have pondered a few times.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good luck with your Jimny, Steve. It's one of very few vehicles on my list of possible replacements for my Yeti when the time eventually comes. I would appreciate your thoughts on the vehicle after you have owned it for a while.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a shame to loose a long term member but with the Yeti out of production it is a journey we will all make eventually. You are always welcome to drop in and if you were able to give updates on your new car it could be of help to others. All the best with your new drive, it is a vehicle I have pondered a few times.

Thank you, Sir Hood.

I will be delighted to drop in, and the good, or evil, of the Jimny will be revealed. It will be put to the test, starting on Sunday, when we head off for a 1500 mile trip.

Replacing the Yeti was always going to mean making a difficult choice, and wanting to steer away from diesel, made it more so.

Time will tell as to my choice being the correct one, or not. Meantime, I'll not have trouble finding it in a car park, that's for sure!

Steve.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck with your Jimny, Steve. It's one of very few vehicles on my list of possible replacements for my Yeti when the time eventually comes. I would appreciate your thoughts on the vehicle after you have owned it for a while.

Thank you.

The Jimny is a different beast altogether, to the Yeti. Far less refined, more spartan, etc. It reminds me of when I had a Ser.2A Landy.

See my reply to The Hood. I will be more than happy to call in, on occasion.

Steve.

·
Administrator
4,736 Posts
Sorry to hear you have left the Yeti building Steve, will happen to us all eventually I guess, but good luck with the Jimny (great colour) and thanks for all your contributions to the forum so far. :)

Reactions: steve20bore

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Looking forward to hearing from you about its off-road capabilities. Jimmy’s Jimny sounds rather good!

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Meantime, I'll not have trouble finding it in a car park, that's for sure! Steve.
That very thought was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the colour. :smile_big::grin::glasses:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As promised, a wee update.

Three weeks into Jimny ownership, and it has 1700+ miles on the clock, after a trip down to the Midlands, via Northumberland.

It was never designed to be a motorway cruiser, but, at 60-65 mph, it is happy enough. Bare in mind, it is being run-in gently, anyway.

It is, of course, totally different to driving the Yeti. RWD, live axles, etc. so it needs far more driver input, which I enjoy.

Fuel consumption is 40+ mpg, at present.

Overall, very pleased, and have not misplaced it in a car park yet.

Steve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Does it have a Rhino on the tailgate? If not, why not? :wink::surprise::smile:

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Do the door handles gouge the tarmac on corners, like the original Jimny? I hope not!:surprise::wink:

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Do the door handles gouge the tarmac on corners, like the original Jimny? I hope not!:surprise::wink:
It used to be that to get the best off road performance, any live axled vehicle HAD to have a LOT of axle articulation permitted. To keep the wheels in contact with the deck in difficult terrain. Things that would generate better handling on dry tarmac, like ARBs, were a total non starter. As they create the opposite effect. Hence the original series 1 Range Rover was capable of developing list angles on dry tarmac, that would’t embarrass the Costa Concordia. The original Jimny had leaf springs. Do they still?

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I meant that they were reputed to 'fall over' rather easily with 'spirited' cornering, especially in reverse!!

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Ah! Just like the early Mercedes A-class cars. That regularly fell over during the Scandinavian “Elk test” manoeuvre. Didn’t know Jimnys did that too. But can totally believe it. In reverse, the heavy end would start to take over the momentum, and try to overtake the other end. Just like a 911 or, err, a Skoda 120.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Skoda 120 AAArgh... Stop swearing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts