Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now the proudpossessorof a new (to me anyway) Yeti 4 x 4 Elegance 2.0 110bhp diesel engine. Very impressed with it all so far - its still the honeymoon period I suppose! Fuel consumption seems lower than I expected. The cumulative on the computer is 39 mpg and yesterday on a run of around 300 miles it was showing a best figure of around 40 mpg. Anybody any comments on this please

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Firstly, you don't say how many miles your car has done, remember thatwhen it is newit won't be giving it's best consumption. I doubt you'll see a great improvement until the engine has done a few thousand miles.

Secondly, comparing fuel consumption across owners is a bit like comparing Cheddar to Stilton. There are far too many variables, from the type of journey, the speeds involved and mostly the driving manners of the owner.

My 140 4x4 has now done over 50k miles and my average over that time is just below 48mpg, which includes caravan trips across the UK and France. In the summer generally I can get an indicated 50mpg on my 48 mile cross country commutefrom Llanidloes to Ludlow, and about 10% lower in the winter. However I drive very defensively, so don't brake much but use the car and geography to slow down, and don't accelerate harshly. I find that the Maxidot consumption figure is about 5% high.

You don't say what speeds you were doing, but remember that the Yeti has the aerodynamics of a brick, so speeds over around 65 see consumption rise quickly.
Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the dsg gearbox and during the summer averaged 48 mpg but now it's colder the average has dropped to about 45 I am pleased with this for a oil burner with a auto box

·
Registered
28 Posts
2lt diesel 110bhp urban in black " yes the colour dont improve mpg but it looks good"On my 25mile drive to work bypass and motorway most of the way best i got out of the matrix was 65mpg at a steady 1700rpm 90ishkmp just under 60mpg cruise control no aircon or lights just the radio for company. I dont do any in town driving as i live in the town center and have a light right foot and a motorbike when i feel the need for speed. Most of my trips return a matrix of over 50mpg so even with the 10% variation i'm still very pleased with what i'am getting, just with it was cheaper to fill

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its done about 32k and when I got it last week the cumulative was on 38.8 and is still on the same although it did go up slightly when I did a run but then back down again

Guess I'll just have to wearlightershoes!!!

·
Administrator
14,216 Posts
If you have the current fuel consumption showing on the maxidot it will help you get a lighter foot. You will be suprised how little pressure you need to remove to improve your mpg.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Alan,

I am running a 2.0 110 also bought new and now has 18,000 miles on the clock after 18 months of ownership.I was getting around 58 mph to the gallon as an average prior to using 'Millers Ecomax fuel additive' and since i see figures in the upper 60's.I have also fitted a variable program tuning box which adds 25/30 bhp which has been the best money i have spent improving the car it was smooth anyway but the Millers combined with the box has made the car so much better and with the improved mph the cost of the additive and the unit will be recovered eventually.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you supply details of what you fitted
On mpg I can get up to 53 mpg going to work but less coming home ( more hills to climb in norfolk) that's my excuse but I am very pleased with this but maybe with a similar box of tricks could do better
Is there any known issues upping the power with a dsg box

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also a newbie & proud owner of Yeti 1.2 TSI. What MPG do other owners get? Honest John forum reports about 39 mpg for 1.2 TSI. Recent trip mainly on motorways only averaged 36mpg, but car has only done 4K. On an entirely different subject, does anyone know how to change the outside temperature display from F to C?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Still a newbie.Our1.8TSI had 7004km onthe clock when we set off this weekend to visit my sister in Margaret River, one of my wife's cousins and her children plus grandchildren in Bunbury, then on to Waroona to visit with thewife's brothers and sister-in-law Lucy.Nearly 600km were travelled during this trip and the consumption display has dropped from 8.2litres per 100km at the start of the journey to 7.9litres per 100km on returning home. This suggests an average of 37 miles to the gallon or better, which is very pleasing and what I should expect. I will know the truthwhen Irefuel again in a few days time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not familiar with your route (living in Croatia), but assume it was on highway mainly. My brother's friend, with yeti 1.2 (same as I have, but a year older) reports max. 6.5 l/100km on highway, which is much better than I do. But, I'm always fully loaded and in a hurry. Or, maybe there is something wrong with his counting ability.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Alan, I took my 112tsi DSGfor a run on the weekend and completed 592km and since have clocked up another 56km going to and from work. The maxidot display showed 648km when I filled up tonight on the way home. WhenI calculated the current economy I found 7litres per 100km or 40 miles to the gallon, which is the figure suggested forextra urbanin the Yeti brochure I down loaded a couple of months ago.

I did keep my speed to just under 2000rpm and under 100km an hour. There was onlythe wife and I,with about 25 kg in the boot. Themaxidot showed a little over 7000km before setting off. A good resultfrom where I am standing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still can't get more than 42 mpg. car has done 32k and today I did 100 mile journey almost all on motorway, used cruise control and set it at 2000 rpm (just under 70 mph) very little traffic but it tookuntilthe end of the journey to climb up to 42 mpg.

This still seems low and did not involve my (possibly a bit) heavy right foot very much.

Any comments from anybody with more knowledge/experience than me

·
Registered
64 Posts
One tip I can give you is when you go up hill knock the cruse control bak by a couple of mph vice versa when on the down hill runs I am driving about 22 miles per day on a round trip and get about 48 mpg all on country lanes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Top Gear Magazine ran a 110tdi 4x2 & complained that they only averaged 32.5mpg so maybe some of these engines are prone to excessive thirst. I remember the first demonstrator I drove was that spec too& it had 38.8 on the maxidot, but I didn't really care as I was so giddy & shocked at how good the car was to drive! My 170tdi 4x4 is averaging 43.5 actual mpg at the moment (maxidot ranges from 46-48) but I do use the performance fairly regularly, but stick to 70 on the motorway as above that really starts to eat into the economy as per other comments on here. Might be worth getting a software check to see if it's up to date, or getting it remapped with an "economy" map. Although I haven't done mine yet (it's on the cards) I have done this to previous cars & it makes a massive difference. Most noticeable of all is the smoothness & sheer driveability of the engine afterwards, & the economy improvement claims can be fairly accurate too. Well worth a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SPEEDO AND MPG FIGURES...MILES OUT!!

I have a Greenline 1.6 tdi Elegance now 2 months old with 3,000 miles on the clock.I drive light footed most of the time and for the sake of economy keep to Cruise Controlled 70 mph on Motorways (which is a true 66 MPH according to two different GPS devices) During the last 3 fill ups I re-set the Speedo trip & the continuous average MPG to zero and then worked out the actual MPG from the mileage and amount of fuel used on Brim to Brim fill ups.....I was surprised to see that the actual MPG was 7 MPG LOWER on each fill up than the figure recorded on the Maxi Dot!!!! I have taken this up with my local Skoda dealership and they admitted that several customers had complained about both of the above issue but there was nothing they could adjust on the vehicle to put it right!!
Has anyone else done a similar exercise and got the same results ...most of my previous vehicles have over estimated by around 2 MPG????

1 - 20 of 92 Posts