Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have just taken delivery of my new Yeti SE Plus 2.0 TDi CR 170ps 4x4 DPF in candy white. So far I am really pleased with it but there are a couple of niggles.

After looking round the boot today I have found there is no spare wheel and not even a jack or wheelbrace!! I have obviously missed a trick here and the dealer never pointed it out.

I can see this has been discussed a few times on this forum but please can someone confirm if the wheel and jack kit can be fitted as an after market item? I belive it only raises the floor level by approx 4" so it must be a very skinny wheel and tyre. Is it fix and stay or could it be removed for day to day and then fitted for long runs abaroad for example? Also anyone know of a bracket like some japanese4 x 4's which swings out of the way when opening the boot?

Secondly why or why dont Skoda mark the UK statutory speed limits on the speedo ie 30, 50, 70. Its not easy sticking to 30 when its one of a number of graduations betwoon 20 and 40mph. To that end I could use the digital speed indicator on the dash but currently that's in Kmph. Is there a way to change this in the computer settings? Alternatively has anyone used a reputable instrument company to modify the speedo dial?

Finally I asked the dealer If I could get the grey bumbers colour coded white to match the bodywork but he tried to put me off. A lot of cars have the plastics colour coded. Has anyone attempted this or have any observations for or against?

Many thanks

Fozzie

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi there, Fozzie Bear. (very poetic), Welcome to Yetiland.
When I ordered my Yeti some 18 months back, I specified a spare wheel at a cost of about £84. I have to admit to not carrying out a close inspection, but it is about a full size steel job. There are various threads on the forum from folk who have been quoted a couple of hundred pounds to purchase later. Perhaps bend your dealers ear and, if required, suggest you may blacken his name on this well supported, international forum!!

I dont find the speedo markings a problem, but The Hood will probably be your best advisor for changing the display. There is a thread about this.

Bumpers, who knows, unpainted ones are probably easier to polish scuffs from.

Enjoy your new car!

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will enjoy your new car. The questions you raise are familiar especially regarding the speedo display.
A spare wheel is an extra, this is because by stripping out weight the manufacturers can quote lower emmision levels. A spare wheel is around £85 if bought at the same time as the car, the compressor and can of gunk are removed and replaced by a 195/60/16 spare tyre ona steel wheel, a jack, wheel brace and elevated floor along with several storage boxes which fit around the wheel to produce a level base for the new floor. They can be bought after taking ownership either from a dealer or on eBAY but will then cost around £250. Note the above items come as two parts, the wheel and tools, the floor and boxes.

By law the car has to be able to display both MPH and KPH, because the speedo does not display mph the maxidot has to do it instead. There is a way of changing the maxidot to MPH, this is by using a computer program and lead called VCDS, this is used to change the car to Australian. VCDS is not used by dealers. I changed mine to Australian but changed it back again. If you look in the thread called VCDS there will be a bit more detail.

Sorry can't help you about the rear bumper as I am happy with mine the way it is. I am sure that you will get used to the speedo eventually, even I did.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
This is how the maxidot looks when it is "Australian", the figures are quite large and a row of detail is lost from then display.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Welcome.

Spare wheel.

Quite common for lots of cars to come without nowadays. I am guessing you didn't check the brochure when you bought the car?

Spare kit can be bought but expect to pay at least £200, as others have said. The kit has to be screwed in so could be removed.

There is no "swing-away" spare carrier produced, and it is most unlikely as there is nothing solid to mount it to anyway.

Speedo.

The speedo fitted is common to many cars in the VAG range, and to be honest, isn't a problem. You can always use the KPH readout; 30 = 48kph, 50 = 80kph.

As has been said it may be alterable with the VCDS system, but there have been reports elsewhere of the change not working on recent models.

Not heard of anyone who has modified the speedo face.

To be honest it really isn't a problem.

Colour Coding.

Any Body Shop will be able to do it, but I doubt it will be very cheap.

There are photoson the 'net of afew that have been done and personally I think it makes them look cheap and nasty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 'Australian' Yeti and I expect all Yetis in Australia do not mention mph or miles, as we only use kph. I have to say that I do like the large digital readout.......even if it seems to want to go faster than it should!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firstly many thanks to everyone who has responded with bothfor's and against's. As the lawyer says "I'll take it under advisement" and live with it for a while.
The spare wheel was my fault. I was so busy haggling between dealers to get the price down I missed the lack of spare wheel unless asked for. That said, the dealer was pushing Autoglym Diamond paint protection and gap insurance so I thought he would have asked if I wanted any optional extras (did ask for tow bar wiring but too late in the build stage).
Any way I am really happy with the vehicle
Thanks Again
Fozzie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts