Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Currently have a Nissan Note and been struggling for the last few months due to the weather conditions, so I am looking for a new car, a special car that would allow me to do many things no matter what the weather conditions are.

I looked at the Vauxhall Mokka and really liked it however the wife chips in and says what about a Yeti and I said "what?" Apparently she likes the styling. So I visited the local Skoda garage but they do not have a 2014 YETI to show me. Anyway, the sales chap says he knows another sales chap who has one as his personal car so they are arranging for the car to be brought to the garage for a test drive for me which is very good of them.

Looked through the brochure and decided on what I want which will be the 2.0 110PS SE Outdoor 4x4. It has the equipment I would like (Cruise Control, Bluetooth and Parking sensors) plus the 4x4 opens up the roads for all weather driving. My mother-in-law lives on a 7 ache small holding and the driveway is a very muddy (100mm deep) 100m dirt track (so you can how my note struggles here).

OK, I would like to ask a question, as money is tight and I want to keep this car for a long period of time instead of the usual 3 years what would anyone here suggest is a much needed option to have on the SE. I will be paying for the Off-Road button but what else would anyone recommend.

Thanks

Sean

·
Administrator
5,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of members with the diesel engine Yeti who argue strongly for the heated windscreen option as it can be slow to clear a frosted screen on the cold days. The petrol warm up quicker so perhaps less of an issue.

Given you are wanting something for all conditions then you may also think about what tyres best suit you and getting the dealer to fit the ones you want from new. Many have a change set of winter tyres others get by with the standard set. Llanigraham is one of the experts on here for off-road Yeti drivng so listen to his advice on this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'd get a heated screen whatever fuel car you get. In my opinion a must have option.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
Essentail to order with the SE? Probably only the heated screen.

Recommended?
Off Road Protection Pack more than the Off-road button, as that gives you protection underneath. The button is a luxury which I don't think is needed unless you are really going to test it's capablities.
Spare wheel, although I didn't get one until a cheap one was offered second hand, and I'm still unsure.
Factory fit tow bar if you even contemplate towing some time in the future.
Heated Screen, although I've never found the diesel takes that long to heat up.

I've looked at a Mokka. No thanks!! Very poor quality trim, body feels like it is made of foil, and the rear area is rubbish, also the fuel consumption is reported to be poor.

Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
Definitely get a heated screen as the heater takes a long time to clear the screen. If you have climate control you will also not be able to clear the screen with the aircon and blower for extra dry air,as the car will be colder than the aircon's operating range and it won't be running. With your roads don't rely on a tin of gunge, get a spare, it is much cheaper if bought with the car. Also remember in a proper wintera 2x4 on winter tyres is more capable than a 4x4 on summer tyres. If you get a spare set of tyres / wheels for winter, 16" wheels with 215/60/16 tyres are far more comfortable than the fitted 17".

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi and welcome,
I have the 110 4x4 FL, The off road I have it but it is not essential for going up muddy tracks, it will give you the down hill assist and change a few other settings like limiting the revs, read the section about it and decide if it is a must for you. The Cruise Control, Bluetooth and rear Parking sensors, come asstandard on the FL outdoor so no extra outlay for them, the front sensors are extra but never had them and have never missed them
. The heated windscreen go for it and heated seats, other than that it's down to personal choice really. The options I added to mine were the things I wanted but will give no benefit at resale time.

Mine has off road button hill hold heated screen heated seats textile mats mud flaps light assist rain sensing cornering fog lights

Tyres changed to all goodyear all season, saves having 2 sets of wheels..
Hope this helps, and you will find it a very nice driving experience.

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for these great suggestions for options.

I did not know you could get heated front windcreens, I thought they where only on high end Fords (Parents had on on their Orion many moons ago)

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
SniffTheGlove said:
I did not know you could get heated front windcreens, I thought they where only on high end Fords (Parents had on on their Orion many moons ago)

They also come on low end Fords such as my wife's Fusion Climate (an awful car!)

I can't get on with the heated screen on my wife's car as I tend to focus on the wiggly lines rather than the outside world. However the Yeti is so poor at clearing the screen I would have one on a new Yeti. I am a shift worker and leave very early in the morning. I have had the windscreen freeze on the inside before reaching the end of the road, and in total darkness oncoming headlights are not fun with a misted or frozen screen. With my last car I would use the air-conditioning and blower to clear the screen in seconds but you cannot do that with climate control. It is not internal dampness that freezes / mists up it is the moisture in your own breath, Llanigraham does not have this problem but I suspect he has air-conditioning rather than climate control.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in a similar position to yourself with a tight budget and live in a rural area with the the odd muddy track. I decided to buy a 1.2 TSI with winter wheels and tyres. Unless you do a lot of off roading I am not convinced 4 wheel drive is worth the extra cost. Winter tyres on a 2 wheel drive do a better job cornering and most importantly of all stopping than 4x4 with ordinary tyres in snow and I have also found that the winter tyres give very good grip on two wheel drive going up muddy tracks. Are you sure the cost of the bigger engine and 4x4 is worth the investment if money is tight? I think many people would argue that ground clearance is more important than 4x4 for muddy tracks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reading the brochure I can not see if the type of tyre (Goodyear All Season/ Winter Tyre) is an option or is it something one does after purchase buy visiting Kwik-Fit etc.

My Note windscreen mists so bad, just getting into the car and starting it seems the AC dumps so much moisture on the screen it takes ages clear.

Just over a week to go before my test drive and possible placement of order. I do like the interior, just looks like my old VW touran so quite like it. The Mokka is a switch fest by comparison.

·
Administrator
5,137 Posts
I too came to the Yeti from a Touran and you will find things quite familiar, especially with the seat arrangement and the general switch layout. The boot is smaller on the Yeti which two or three times a year I miss. Mine was the Mk1 and the rear seat belts used to rattle against the rear door frame unless you remembered to turn the buckles around. Really annoying. The Yeti in comparison just works, everything has been well thought through.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My winter tyres and wheels were supplied by my dealer when the Yeti was purchased. The steel wheels cost about £240 and although you have to buy the tyres up front they are not an additional cost because you have two sets of tyres to wear out before buying another set. I have to say that buying winter tyres was the best decision I ever made particularly with the flooding and very wet roads because not only do they improve grip in snow they also improve grip on wet roads when the temperature is below 7C and 4x4 does not necessarily improve grip on wet roads. If you are going ahead with 4x4 then I would advise getting a set of winter wheels and tyres as well.

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
SniffTheGlove said:
Reading the brochure I can not see if the type of tyre (Goodyear All Season/ Winter Tyre) is an option or is it something one does after purchase buy visiting Kwik-Fit etc.

You could always get some used wheels, I got a set of used really goodAudi Alloys for £60. If you use this link and look for collect only they tend to get far less bids. If you are patient there are some bargains to be had.

http://www.localbargainfinder.com/

And this link will tell you which wheels will fit your Yeti

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/

(The Yeti offset is 45 not 47)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
SniffTheGlove said:

My Note windscreen mists so bad, just getting into the car and starting it seems the AC dumps so much moisture on the screen it takes ages clear.

Just over a week to go before my test drive and possible placement of order. I do like the interior, just looks like my old VW touran so quite like it. The Mokka is a switch fest by comparison.

The all seasons are not a Skoda option, I had them changed by the dealer, only paid the difference in price of the tyres as they can sell the others. first time it 75p
this time they just changed them and nothing to pay.

The Goodyear all season are good in the cold and snow clear standing water well summer and winter, the set on my just traded in Yeti had 23k on them and where still had another 1.5mm before they reached the 4mm snow wear bar, would have done this winter and next summer before they needed replacing, that would have been around 30k +, and they seam to have a good tread pattern for getting through mud they grip very well getting into the clay shoot car park I go to never been stuck yet.

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just been thinking if we could visit a different Skoda branch as my wife is itching to test drive and look at colours and can not wait until a week today when out local branch will get a salesman's personal 2.0 4x4 SE for us to try. I told we have to wait a week, as the local branch is bending over to help us and we should not just go elsewhere. Wife sulks!!
She is impatient not only to get the car but we all met up with my parents and Sister's family for Sunday Roast yesterday where my Sister says we have brought a new car today, it a VW Tiguan.

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
You also need to test different models as the seats vary in comfort. Is there a kindly forum member near you who would let you have a quick "play" with theirs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a look at the Mokka, and personally I think its the better looking car. I just couldnt see it as a really capable off roader though, as its more of a rival to the Nissan Juke than anything else.

The Yeti is a better all rounder in my view, and due to the VAG connection, probably more reliable

·
Registered
515 Posts
Before I chose the Yeti I looked at all of the competition, Mokka, IX35,Kia all seemed to have high window heights, yes they seemed to have more toys but the driving height and view of the Yeti done it for me along with all the excellent reviews and the VAG connection. Turning circle is a plus also on our crowded roads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts