Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haveread asurveythat identifiedthe Yeti as the most reliable car in the U.K. however, there are a few people on this and another site that suggest they will replace their Yetiafter three years of ownership from new. Why I ask?
I have owned 10 cars including the Yeti during a 46 years of driving. A 1955Austin A50, A three year old 1966 Ford Cortina,A one year old 1971 Ford Falcon 3.5 litre with cross flow motor. A one year1978 oldMitsubishi 2 litreSigma, A one year old 1984 1.6 litreMitsubishi Colt. An 8 year old 1.6 litreVW Campervan / Dormobile, A 1989demo model 2.4 Nissan Pintara, A 1996one year old 1.6Nissan Pulsar/ Almera, A two year old 3.0 litreToyota Avalon - the first car with auto gearbox. My wife still drives the Nissan Pulsar which is now 16 year old and has 210,000km under itsbelt and she shown no interest in a newer car.While theVW was only owned for 4 years, the rest of the cars have generally been owned from 8 to10 years.some of these cars have been driven regularly by my wife and children, as well as your truely. During this time I have only had one car that has let me down. This was my first car, a 12 year old 1955 Austin A50, whose waterpump left its housing to embed itself into the radiator. Two days later after obtaining a waterpump kit and a secondhand radiator the A50 was back on the road.

So what sought of life expectancy should any of us expect from a Yeti? I plan on keeping mine for about 10 years, so how long do you plan to keep your Yeti?

I know this is one post with three questions, soshould Iexpect at least 10 variations of answers? Oh, that's another question!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Given the low depreciation that yetis experience then a trade in after a couple of years is an attractive option if you can afford it. I am considering this option even though I had my last car for 18 years. The whole new car experience is rather nice. No worries about just about anything.
Maybe I'm getting old and lazy.
Come to think about it I am.

·
Administrator
13,429 Posts
I have also tended to hold onto cars, my last was a Mazda Premacy 11 years old 154000 miles, the one before that a Nissan Prairie 21 years old 184000 miles. Those are all miles not KM (easy conversion divide miles x3 then multiply x5) The Prairie was retired still going strong no oil burnt but normal consumable parts becoming difficult to find. The Mazdawas becauseI leave for work at 0430 and SWMBO refused to drive it so it could not be semi retired.
Those cars were maintained by me, the Yeti is less owner friendly as regards servicing. I have always done my own servicing out of warranty even as far as an engine rebuild. Even though I have bought Elsawin and VCDS the complex electonics will ensure dealer dependance at some time.

Even the dealers struggle at times to understand what is wrong and the Yeti tends to attract owners of a certain age who are less agile. I think the replacement at three years is to maintain the "comfort blanket" of a warranty.

Edited by: The Hood

·
Registered
149 Posts
Long live the Betty the Yeti. I've been lucky enough to have all diesels all my life.When your 300 km from the nearest help it sure is a comfort in 40 c to have a diesel.I've kept all mine around 7 years or 150 to 200 thousand km.This one will be the same or maybe longer as my son is trying to steal it when my back is turned.He may end up with it
.................................... Todays temp 38c########

·
Registered
448 Posts
Throughout my working life I tended to change my cars every three years, whether they were bought second-hand (in the early years) or new (more recently). However, my present car, a Citroen C4 Picasso, whuch is about to be traded in for my new Yeti (when it finally arrives!) I have had for nearly six years. I suppose when I was young I always wanted things to be up to date and "cutting edge", so wanted to change cars as frequently as was financially possible. But as I get older I find I'm more comfortable with things I know well, and no longer want to have the latest model of everything. The Citroen is, to date, the best car I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot down the years) and I'd still be keeping it if my wife liked driving it... but in retirement we're going down to one car between us instead of one each, so the car we have has to suit us both and the C4 Picasso has to go... I'll be sad; but I'm hoping the Yeti will fill the void, and we hope to keep it for a good many years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recon about five years to change but this may be extended as I like my (Dec 2009) Yeti.I downsized from an X-trail and before that a Terrano. The only problem, to date!!!, was a failed sensor on the DPF, this was changed on the last month of the guarantee.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Dewi the Yeti is 3 years old and done 60k miles and won't be changed for at least another 2 years, and possibly more. Both my last 2 cars, Freelanders, were changed at 100k miles.
Problems so far have been minor:
replaced DRL bulb
2 new rear badges
1 new front badge
1 high tone horn
(all above under warranty)
set of rear discs
complete set of brake pads, front and rear
4 tyres
3 pairs of front wiper blades
1 rear wiper blade

Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I'm looking to change next year when it 3 years old (if funds have been restored after paying out on a wedding in July).

I like to have a new car every 3 years or so, I try to get a better spec one each time. Then when the day comes when I start working less and not so much coming in we will have a good car to last us for many years. (well that's mythinking but I may be wrong
)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your thinking is spot on.Maybe have a budget wedding and spend the extra on a top spec Y E T I ..I'am sure you would be VERY. Popular

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
PUG said:
Your thinking is spot on.Maybe have a budget wedding and spend the extra on a top spec Y E T I ..I'am sure you would be VERY. Popular

The ear bashing
and divorce would cost more than the wedding
. I will get a week in the sun out of it, and a few beers. Then a big party when we get back

SWMBO will have to cut back on clothes shopping after as well (not told her yet though
)

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's a personal decision on how long you keep any car. I think we may keep Yoda for two or three years and perhaps look at another new one then. However, the depression may continue and I either won't be able to change, or won't want to ! We shall see!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I was forced to medically retire in 2012. When I retired I decided to do some internet research and buy a car that was reliable, easily accessible, and was easy to drive, as it would probably be my last new car purchase due to limited cash availability. It would also need enough room to be able to possibly carry a wheelchair sometime in the future. The Skoda brand and specifically the Yeti met my criteria perfectly. I traded in a 19 year old Peugeot 405 SRDT and bought a 1.2 TSi Yeti with 7 speed DSG. I expect this vehicle to last until my wife and I are no longer fit to drive a motor vehicle. We are in our mid 50's.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
222 Posts
Some of us enjoy changing our cars on a regular basis regardless of any reason other than wanting a new car. Over 100 odd years of driving my wife and I (50 years x 2) have had over 80 cars including company cars and motorhomes. It's the sheer thrill of going around the showrooms and researching all the different vehicles that catch our eye and then the joy of haggling to ge a good discount. At the moment we have a Yeti, Citigo and Yamaha cruiser which we are delighted with but who knows what the future will bring!

We only get 'one go of the merrygoround' and the Good Book only promises us 'three score years and ten'.
A sober reminder- there are no pockets in shrouds.
So our moral is live life to the full and don't put anything off - to my mind procrastination is 'the thief of time'. Self indulgent it may be but as long as it doesn't impact adversely on you and yours then it can't be bad.
Perhaps this answers one of your questions.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Shanco, totally agree.
We are happily of the SKI mentality (spending the kids inheritance)
Off to Cornwall tomorrow in the caravan
Crete in May
France in October
River cruise next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts