Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I think I am not alone as regards the issue I am having with my Skoda Yeti Diesel 4x4 2L 2013 model. I noticed recently that the engine temp gauge was varying. It has sat steady at 90 since I bought the car second hand 4 years ago. After a long run on the motorway just before Christmas I noticed the temp dropping at tick-over to eventually to 70. It also varied between 70 and 90 on local running. I took it to my local garage , who have sorted any previous issues out I had without problem. They diagnosed a faulty temperature sensor and replaced it with a genuine VAG part. It seemed to improve the situation, but the temperature still would vary, now between 90 whilst driving on faster roads and then gradually dropping to 80 at tick-over when stationary. Short runs it will vary between 90 and 80 with no obvious reason. The same garage have recently had the car in again to check further and could find no problem with the thermostat and apologised that they could not find a reason why the car was behaving this way. They also checked all the other possible other causes for this anomaly at the first visit. The heaters work fine at full heat and the only obvious problem seems to be the fluctuating temp gauge, which does not vary despite how the heater is set. The car has no DSG so the 'secondary' thermostat' is not fitted ( I am told). I just wondered if anyone has any experience of a similar fault and is aware of a fix. I have been assured there is no detriment to the running of the car, so am I being overly concerned?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly sounds like the thermostat to me. How did they check it ?
That sadly, is my concern I do not know. They have been very reliable in the past. I understand it is quite a job to change it, I just wonder if it had some bearing on the issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They did express concern at possibly causing me excessive cost. So I think they were saying if I may need a main dealer?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The temperature gauge is 'fudged' to read a steady 90 when the actual coolant temperature is within the normal range. It sounds like your Yeti's temperature is going outside the normal range and being displayed as the actual reading.

A scan for fault codes would be useful to eliminate any electrical faults plus taking some temperature readings while on the move to compare with the gauge. Dealer equipment can do this or using the measuring blocks in VCDS.

I think a thermostat failed to open is the most likely cause.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. It sounds like I may need to take it to a dealer for a full check.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
I think a thermostat failed to open is the most likely cause.
As the problem is running cold sounds to me like failing to close, failed open.

Is the car taking longer to get up to temperature?

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, it seems to get to temperature as before the issue. I have been to a local garage who are going to give it a thorough check. To be honest all seems ok as regards running, but something had changed 🤔. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
192 Posts
Since I had cambelt and water Pp replaced the temp gauge fluctuates between 70 & 90, but seems to do it when outside temp drops. Car runs perfect, no fault codes, no leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts