41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Finbar, I see you are posting elsewhere and this thread seems to have gone quiet, is it safe to assume you have fully recovered? Mind you, now Ruari isn't keeping us under control anymore I could have asked in the other thread. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Finbar, I see you are posting elsewhere and this thread seems to have gone quiet, is it safe to assume you have fully recovered? Mind you, now Ruari isn't keeping us under control anymore I could have asked in the other thread. :)
Hi Hood, thanks for asking, yes doing fine.

One of our sons went down with it but fully recovered and our daughter in Kent, recovering.

Along with everyone else, trying to be good and isolating as much as I can but have explored a little.

My neck of Wales, just outside of Bridgend, I have been enjoying beautiful sunny days, ( although that will change this week ). I drove to then walked through Bridgend town center and explored a little of Cardiff and Swansea and the sad fact is, so many of the shops/business closed will never open again.

Managed to chat to a few passers by where I'm staying, one telling me, pubs are going to shut down for good by the lorry load.

I still have a cough but am convinced that is down to blood pressure tablets, lost a bit of weight, so no bad thing, other then that, feeling good but feeling restless.

Thinking ahead, I would like to bring some manufacturing into the area but still looking for a chapel although my thoughts have turned to purchasing a plot of land and erecting a fast build, Danish designed property to live in although the odd pub or two may become available--we shall see.

Kids have kept me going, we are a close knit family and the grandkids have been truly amazing and just so good.

Don't know if you sorted your PAYG sim card issue Hood?

Anyways, all is well. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I still have a cough but am convinced that is down to blood pressure tablets,
If you are taking Rammipril it may well be, I have had a Ramipril cough for years but its the least invasive side effect of all the BP meds I have been on.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you are taking Rammipril it may well be, I have had a Ramipril cough for years but its the least invasive side effect of all the BP meds I have been on.
Good Morning Idleness,

No not Rammipril, Larsartan, 50mg daily.

Convinced myself this cough of mine is more to do with BP medication so just started to take it every other day.

Self diagnosis is never a good thing but with that in mind I have started to naturally increase my potassium intake, so a couple of Bananas a day and-----Beetroot.

Yes I know Beetroot but it is high in potassium, fortunately I like Beetroot.

Our Daughter's boyfriend, a big lad, like BIG!, oozes musical talent out of every pore, is taking Rammipril.

Not long ago he stopped taking it for a couple of weeks, cough disappeared.

Must talk to my Doctor, this bloody cough, annoying but not brave enough to stop taking the med" altogether,--yet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No not Rammipril, Larsartan, 50mg daily.
Must talk to my Doctor, this bloody cough, annoying but not brave enough to stop taking the med" altogether,--yet.
I'm on Candesartan and Lercanidipine for BP, and don't have a cough. The former is the same family of drugs as yours, so your GP might consider swapping you onto that instead in the hopes it will control your BP without the side-effect...would be worth discussing it with him/her. People differ, of course, and it may not work for you, but worth asking the question, I'd have thought.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm on Candesartan and Lercanidipine for BP, and don't have a cough. The former is the same family of drugs as yours, so your GP might consider swapping you onto that instead in the hopes it will control your BP without the side-effect...would be worth discussing it with him/her. People differ, of course, and it may not work for you, but worth asking the question, I'd have thought.
Thanks Slartibartfast,

Yes I must talk to my Doctor, see what they have to say and mention Candesartan.

I have been on 3 or 4 types, unfortunately I don't tolerate BP med' to well, Larsartan I just about manage with.

I'm not on a lot of Med' but being T2 and the med' I'm on and have been for years, a serious review is in order methinks, they are taking their toll on this temple of mine.

I'm deliberately loosing weight, was 19 stone in January, now 17-12lb so in the right direction but my Kent Doctor says "down to 14 stone you"!

I take one look at myself and think, no way!, they so depend on their BMI charts and I'm over 6ft tall, it ain't going to happen, still less weight, no BP tablets--so I'm told.

Pretty sure I've had Covid, all the symptoms and feeling like shiiit but if as Urrell says, the cough is the last to go, it's taking its dammn time!

Unfortunately I have just discovered Caramel Short Cake Squares---I'm my own blasted worst enemy. :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Well done losing that much weight Finbar. I'm really pleased that you are almost recovered and hope that your cough soon goes away. I've lost 50 lbs and am still overweight, but I feel so much fitter. Still on T2 and BP medication (Metformin/Linagliptin and Losartan/Amlodopine respectively) with no side effects. My daily fingerprick blood sugar value averages 5.6 mmol/l, which has been the same for months. It's all down to the low carb eating programme (16 months now) which has become a way of life, so I get the bulk without too many carbohydrates. Our surgery issued new blood sugar test meters three months ago, Agamatrix. with a blue tooth connection to the app on my iPad so now the results and averages are logged for me. The only medication that gave me side effects was a statin, where my brain became 'fuzzy' and a bit forgetful. Took myself off it, recovered my mind and as my cholesterol averages 4.5, perhaps due to the diet, I don't need it anyway. My annual diabetic clinic review is due in June, so if it goes ahead, I'd like ask about progressively reducing my medication. Good luck and keep safe.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I was nearly 24 stone about 10 years ago, and after many previous attempts finally managed to get down to 13.5 stone in about 18 months of dieting with weight watchers. Unfortunately almost straight away into first of 3 life threatening medical issues. During recovery from each at 2 year intervals started to eat too much again, whilst recuperating cafe's and buns are too tempting! So was back at over 20 st last year.
However happy to report, that I started getting under control again last year and now 7 months on have lost 4st. 16st this morning and losing about 1.5lb a week regularly. At least I have a chance now if I catch this virus.

My wife has also lost some weight, but she has little to lose really. All we are doing is recording and countin the calories of everything we eat or drink. This is so much easier than it was a few years ago with virtually all produce marked up with its calorie content. As long as I stay below 2000 a day I lose weight in a slow and safe manner.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Congratulations Ken and keep it up! I've known other people, including me, who've used various diets or slimming clubs, lost a lot of weight then put it back on. Over the years I've tried the egg diet, grapefruit diet, cabbage diet, milk diet, high protein diet, crash diets and so on. Generally the result was good but never sustained. This is the first time in my life I've lost weight and then kept it off. The low carb diet is excellent: our NHS dietician never promoted calorie counting, she just encouraged us to reduce the carbohydrate intake, eat lots of vegetables and high-fibre foods, check the ingredients in processed foods (surprising how much sugar is added) and exercise. We cook almost everything with fresh ingredients and eat lots of vegetables, although I cannot eat much fruit because of the T2 diabetes. The only sweet thing I have is some honey on porridge and occasionally a cup of tea plus a spoon of honey: I still have a sweet tooth, but my brain regards sugar as the enemy, hence will-power rules.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not wishing to be a wet blanket but this thread was requested and intended for those who were actually suffering from Covid-19 perhaps we need a medication and diet thread.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Yes but Covid-19 appears to be far more serious for those of us over 60 and/or overweight? As this is going to go on for a long time, encouraging others to get fitter and lose weight will hopefully help to mitigate the symptoms if someone should unfortunately catch it? 3 months later this year someone seriously overweight could easily be 3st lighter, with much reduced risk.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I don't disagree but this thread was specifically requested by members and the clue is in the tittle (third and fourth words) , there is another coronavirus thread

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Had appointment for prostrate biopsy booked in for tomorrow.
Someone phoned last week and told me to self isolate for a week and go for cv swab Sunday to ensure i was not going in with it.
They phoned this morning, i tested positive, so procedure cancelled and i have to self isolate for 7 days and wife for 14.
Then have another swab in a few days.

·
Administrator
4,560 Posts
Any symptoms prior to the test? Hope none show themselves whilst you are both isolating.

I am using the Covid-19 Symptoms Checker programme from Kings College that The Hood posted a few weeks ago where you report daily on how you feel and last week had a summer cold/hay fever bout of a streaming nose, very minor headache and sore throat. Reported as Not Normal and symptoms, temperature normal, no fever, no cough, no loss of sense of taste or smell but as part of study was asked to take a test which I have done using home test kit and now waiting the results. Not convinced the home test kits will give accurate results for positive cases as it is an unpleasant process and hard to know whether you are doing it right. You only get one swab so no second chance. As I have effectively been self isolating since the beginning of lockdown I will be very surprised by a positive result.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The best of luck Dutchman and here's hoping that you only have a minor illness. Best wishes to you and your wife, Jimmy

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Any symptoms prior to the test? Hope none show themselves whilst you are both isolating.

I am using the Covid-19 Symptoms Checker programme from Kings College that The Hood posted a few weeks ago where you report daily on how you feel and last week had a summer cold/hay fever bout of a streaming nose, very minor headache and sore throat. Reported as Not Normal and symptoms, temperature normal, no fever, no cough, no loss of sense of taste or smell but as part of study was asked to take a test which I have done using home test kit and now waiting the results. Not convinced the home test kits will give accurate results for positive cases as it is an unpleasant process and hard to know whether you are doing it right. You only get one swab so no second chance. As I have effectively been self isolating since the beginning of lockdown I will be very surprised by a positive result.
No symptoms at all, and she said that as i had test 3 days ago, could well be ok.
Looked to get test kit for wife but non available today, it says try again tomorrow.

·
Administrator
4,560 Posts
Yes the home test kits run out each day very quickly and even more so after it was anounced yesterday that anyone over the age of 5 can get tested if they have any symptoms, no longer just essential workers. Apply as soon after 8:00am as you can.

Interesting that you showed no symptoms as there is growing feeling that the virus is a lot more widespread than has been determined as testing was restricted to only those showing some specific symptoms. Just shows the track and trace app under test in IoW is flawed as it relies on people declaring they have some limited set of symptoms but they are never tested, when those with no symptoms at all may be carriers but will never know unless they get a test.

Keep calm and carry on!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts